• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New Maps 4.3 "update unsuccessful" BB .2.1

I tried this and it worked.

I had to go through the process 3 times though.

Google Maps 4.3 Fix for Droid Froyo Users | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Thanks lockcity, that worked for me on the first try (and I had tried everything else)! By the way, on the BB Froyo ROMS, because of his scripts, you can substitute "sysrw" for the 2nd command line and "sysro" for the penultimate line.

I got the "login failed" message and needed to go to Menu>More>Sign in and allow Maps permission. Once I got all my preferences (layers, labs, etc.) set up again, I have not had the reset problem described above -- the data stayed intact.

Upvote 0
Has anyone using kangerade figured out how get the new version installed? None of the solutions here or at mydroidworld have worked for me.

Edit: Hmmm, I missed the post to my droid life. I will try that when i get home.

Joe

lol. The droid-life instructions worked for me the first time.

I had to nandroid restore first though cuz I hosed my system from the other suggestions. My old maps.apk that I had copied to the SD card wouldn't even install anymore.

Joe

Upvote 0
Interesting...this file (com.google.android.apps.maps) is in data/data on my Droid...not in system/bin, as the solution posted above assumes it is.

That's exactly where it was for me, too, flea, but deleting Maps.apk from /system/app and the com....maps file from /data/data didn't work. Those command lines, however, did and I don't really care at this point why, just that it DID! :)

Reactions: Redflea
Upvote 0
That's exactly where it was for me, too, flea, but deleting Maps.apk from /system/app and the com....maps file from /data/data didn't work. Those command lines, however, did and I don't really care at this point why, just that it DID! :)

Thanks for posting that...I tried the delete option and had the same result, didn't work. I'll go do the command line now to get it done!

Upvote 0
Oops - I get "sh: can't open 'pm' when I type this line:

sh pm uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps

I cd'd to the data/data directory, so I'm in the right spot...help?

I tried changing back to the system/bin and running this:

sh pm uninstall /data/data/com.google.android.apps.maps and that didn't work.

So then I ran:

sh pm uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps from system/bin...as subsynth noted below, the system knew where the file was and uninstalled it. :)

Installed from the market and it worked!

Thanks, all...

Upvote 0
system/bin is where the scripts live, I think pm uninstall just knows where to uninstall from...

I tried EVERYTHING. (Delete using Root Explorer, Terminal Commands, Edit packages.xml, clear Market Cache, reboots aplenty in between necessary steps)

I had to finally push 4.2 back to system/app and restart and then repeat the terminal commands and it worked.

Upvote 0
Yea I was one of the people that tried deleting from root explorer early before instructions came out on the fix. I now have no maps, and I can't install any version that was posted. Gonna need a little help?!?

Not sure what you can do, other than trying to install one of the APKs posted to this thread...

Too late to help you this time, but I rarely actually delete files using Root Explorer, I just rename them so I can recover if things don't work out. Then if I'm sure things are OK I'll go back later and clean things up.

Upvote 0
I could update it without any problems, but it said "manual update" when Google Maps is in my list of "automatic updates"...strange!!

When something fundamentally changes, such as permissions, then the automatic update will not work - it requires that you manually update the app.

I have seen that a lot recently with folks updating their apps to be 2.2 compatible.

I am so frustrated! I have started with a completely clean install by wiping data, cache, and formatting boot and system in order to solve this problem; no luck. Still trouble with maps.

Sooo, I tried the instruction for removing maps.apk from system/app using both Root Explorer and Terminal Emulator and I can't remove it. Both methods tell me that "maps.apk cannot be deleted because file system is read-only". I tried changing properties and permissions...same message. Any hints on what I can try now? I've spent the better part of a day trying to get maps to update and I really rather just use a ROM that works. :cool:

Assuming you're still working on this, In Root Explorer, in the top right hand (or by long pressing the directory name before entering it) change it to R/W from R/O - then you can delete it.

Don't forget to change it back to R/O after deleting it.

Everyone: Check out this tweet from Cyanogen: https://twitter.com/cyanogen/status/16818791705

Reactions: magdelaine
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones