New Metro PCS SG3 Model (SGH-T999N) is there a known root method?

1. ixbrettxi

ixbrettxi Member

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster. Just picked up the new SG3 model from Metro PCS (GSM version for the T-Mobile merged network.) Model SGH-T999N, Android 4.1.2, Baseband T999NUVAME4. Just wondering if there is a known root method yet, I've been scouring here and XDA for the last few days and haven't found anything yet. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Well-Known Member Developer

well actually you are one of teh first, you can try motochopper :)
  3. ixbrettxi

ixbrettxi Member

Will do and post results shortly.
  4. ixbrettxi

ixbrettxi Member

Motochopper worked beautifully, confirmed by freezing Metro and Samsung bloat via Titanium Backup. Thanks a bunch! :D
  5. Shabbypenguin

sweet deal as far as roms go you are prolly best doing a backup in recovery then flashing a tmobile one
  6. johnpro112

johnpro112 Well-Known Member

sorry to kind of steer this kind of off topic. But since you got the S3 at a metro store does it have 4G LTE? I'm still a little lost, are metro users going to be using t-mobile towers now? (The new ones that get phones with GSM compatibility ) Does the phone say T-Mobile or Metropcs?
  7. vewdew

vewdew Member

The metropcs you get at the store is branded Metropcs and yes it does have 4g. Now the towers I have read that metro will use them don't know how true that statement is, but that's what they say.
  8. ixbrettxi

ixbrettxi Member

Well, to answer your first question, yes I have 4G LTE. The second question is half yes I guess. From what I understand, the CDMA is what is being phased out, in favor of hspa+. Metro and T-Mobile users will be using both Metro and T-Mobile towers. T-Mobile is getting LTE and Metro is getting hspa+. As to your third question, the body of the phone itself is only branded by Samsung, the OS is Metro flavored with Metro bloat and the network is identified as Metro PCS. Again this is my understanding only, I could be off on a point or two in there. :p

I can say the new network is a huge upgrade for my area, Speedtest avgs 30mbps download and 11mbps upload at my house, where before I got 5 down and 1 up. :D
    Gman9831, n4zty and confed like this.
  9. confed

confed Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information and comparison. Van you check your PRL and report back on what it is?
  10. Shabbypenguin

gsm devices dont have prls :)
    confed likes this.
  11. thatguy96

thatguy96 Well-Known Member

Shabby you said that the ixbrettixi should flash a T-Mobile ROM... why would that be... Wouldn't it mess up his network settings...
  12. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

cuz its using tmobile apn and the gsm radio is running on t-mo towers since the combination took place. but im curious to see if the metro branded variant is using same kernel as t-mo variant. if indeed the stock roms are identical cept for bloat ware then shoot go for it.
  13. johnpro112

johnpro112 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the OP should shoot us a screen shot showing us that information (the kernal and apn settings?). It may prove useful. If I ever need to replace my phone for warranty, I may end up getting this new model.
  14. Shabbypenguin

i siad he would be best off with a tmo rom, however until i actually go in and play with it i wont know for certain. by making a backup he saves himself the core issues, if it doenst boot due to bad kernel restore, it boots and works fine just needs apn's then we can work that out ya know? :)
  15. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

That would be useful.

Edit: about the build.prop for a sec here i thought op was on the new gs4. lol
  16. Shabbypenguin

nah the s4 is the SGH-M919N :) i have teh build.prop of teh s3, sent it to noobnl never heard back :/
    Gman9831 likes this.
  17. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior Guide

Thanks for all the info but the only thing is BYOD and GSM wont be using any of the metro network not even LTE.
  18. ixbrettxi

ixbrettxi Member

Depends on the device I suppose, iirc all US/Canada GS3s have the same hardware, regardless of carrier. So if the phone is unlocked it should have access to all of it. Not sure about the GS4 hardware, but I know Metro is getting it as well. I can say for certain that my SGH-T999N gets both 4G and 4G LTE on the merged network. Idk of any other devices offhand that have both GSM and CDMA radios.
  19. Gman9831

No they don't all have the same hardware as this one doesn't have CDMA as the metro one doesn't have HSPA. If they were all the same there wouldn't be the need for a new version. This one isn't going to run on metro LTE at all.
  20. ixbrettxi

ixbrettxi Member

Like I said in the post you quoted, my GS3 gets BOTH 4G and 4G LTE (the notification bar has separate icons for each.) T-Mobile doesn't have LTE to my knowledge, therefore my device is currently capable of, and is using both services.

Also it has been confirmed elsewhere, I'll look up the link if anyone cares, all US/Canada GS3s can be used on any network, with any provider, once unlocked. The method is posted over at XDA.
  21. Gman9831

Ahhh Ok tmobile does have LTE and as of yesterday covering 157M which is about double the amount of metro. But it is not and will not be using metro LTE.
    Not every S3 can work on GSM, not the Metro, Cricket, US Cellular's or Sprints. Honestly I think we tried every method
  22. ixbrettxi

ixbrettxi Member

Yeah after reviewing the thread I mentioned earlier it seems I was mistaken. The pre-merger version does not have GSM, so it is incompatible with T-Mobile's network. Sorry if I gave anyone false hope. :(
  23. romanm2012

romanm2012 Active Member

So does the galaxy s3 (gsm) run on TMobile's lte if there's lte in the area or just hspa+?
    I'm reading yes no yes no, so I'm confused
  24. Gman9831

The only LTE it runs on is tmo's so if they have it in your area you'd get it
    romanm2012 likes this.
  25. romanm2012

romanm2012 Active Member

I've been having an lg motion for almost a year and I think it's time to upgrade, is the GS4 worth the $550 or the GS3 for $400? (even though it's kind of old).