• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Micro SD card- Best way to move data from old card to new card

I just transfered from a 2GB card to a 16GB card on an LG optimus slider. I copied all the files from the phone with the USB hookup to a file on the computer (a mac powerbook). What I discovered was that it is also necessary to copy the "hidden" files and folders as well (I have a program on my computer that will show the hidden files), other wise all the apps might not work. I had some apps that had some "hidden" directories. Then I put in the new card, hooked it up with the USB and copied all the files over (including the hidden ones). It seems to be working fine, all the apps too.

There might be an easier way, but I am new to android and smartphones in general. But the phone seems snappier with the music files and photo galleries now with the faster card.

Hi you mentioned you have a program which shows the hidden files. Please can you elaborate on this? I am a dummy when it comes to this stuff so I am sure I am going to miss something when I transfer the files across...thank you.

Upvote 0
Hi All. I am just trying to make a backup of my micro SD card, but when I copy the music files with explorer into a folder on my laptop, I only get 359 out of the 700 files copied.

Explorer sees all the files on the card, but stops after it has copied 359 files. I thought I'd be cunning and just copy 200 at a time, but Explorer stops at the same place anyway. Strangely, it copies what it can and then hangs on the very first track. It must copy what it can and then go back and try the rest. Some of the copied files are mp3 and some are m4a.

I tried the same on my wife's desktop and had the same result. Both are windows 7, though Gail's version is only a few months old and mine is 2 years old.

I've got all the music files on my laptop, plus say another 200 perhaps that have been deleted from the phone. And the reason that I want to back up the card is so I don't have to go thru the pain of deleting them all again if say the phone gets stolen.

Any other suggestions?

Daryl.

Upvote 0
Hi All. I am just trying to make a backup of my micro SD card, but when I copy the music files with explorer into a folder on my laptop, I only get 359 out of the 700 files copied.

Explorer sees all the files on the card, but stops after it has copied 359 files. I thought I'd be cunning and just copy 200 at a time, but Explorer stops at the same place anyway. Strangely, it copies what it can and then hangs on the very first track. It must copy what it can and then go back and try the rest. Some of the copied files are mp3 and some are m4a.

I tried the same on my wife's desktop and had the same result. Both are windows 7, though Gail's version is only a few months old and mine is 2 years old.

I've got all the music files on my laptop, plus say another 200 perhaps that have been deleted from the phone. And the reason that I want to back up the card is so I don't have to go thru the pain of deleting them all again if say the phone gets stolen.

Any other suggestions?

Daryl.

Usually when files don't copy off an sd card, it is because there is some corrupt files on the card. You may be able to use windows disk checking utility to repair the files and copy them, or you may just have to delete them.

Upvote 0
hi, i have read all of the postes and dint find what i was looking for so here goes, i put the 16 gb in my computer via card reader and it said that i had to format it right away, well i hit the start button and it tells me that it is write protected. and it wont let me do absoutly nothing untill i format it. what can be done thanks.

there might be a physical switch on the side of the card to turn off the write protection.

Upvote 0
I just transferred my sd card to my phone via usb, I can see all my pics and videos. What about the apps that are stored on my Sd card? do I need to move them to my phone before reinstalling on my 16mb card. also how do I transfer my pics and videos that are stored in my computer to the new 16 mb card. I have them in a folder labeled... Don's Phone, however I don't kow where the folder is without typing "Don's Phone" in the search.

Upvote 0
Hi I have read through this thread and used some of the suggestions but I'm still having an issue.

I have a Motorola Defy running Android 2.2.2. It came with a stock 2GB micro SD card which I have been using. I'm running out of space so decided to upgrade to a 32GB Sandisk Micro SD card.

I backed up the contents of my current SD card to my computer by plugging the phone in. I formatted the new card (could not get the format function on my phone to work so formatted to FAT32 16kb partitions using an SD card adapter plugged into my computer). I copied the files backed up onto my computer to the new micro SD card via the SD card adapter. I put the new Micro SD card in my phone and it loaded... but most of my pictures are missing and all are greyed out in the phone's Gallery until you open the actual picture.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Upvote 0
In android OS... there are two folders in memory card
1. .android_secure - This is a hidden folder and can only be seen in mass storage mode. this contains all the data of the applications stored on memory card.
2. Android - this is not the hidden folder and contains few data about the applications installed on phone.

Whenever u want to transfer data from one memory card to other just connect ur phone in mass storage mode and copy these 2 folders in the computer. Now disconnect the phone, put new memory card in the phone and connect the phone again in mass storage mode and copy these 2 folders in new memory card. It is necessary that the new card is connected through the phone and not from some card reader. All other stuff can be simply copied in new card. After u do this ur all applications whether they were in phone or memory card will work fine and ur phone is now equipped with a new memory card. I have done this on my Sony Ericsson Neo V and its working brilliantly.

Upvote 0
upgraded from the stock 2gb microsd by buying a 16gb kingston micro sdhc card sa cdrking 600pesos nalang siya. ive heard good feedbacks naman sa kingston na brand when it comes to memory cards. though meron 450pesos na microsd 16gb card ang cdrking na brand. but im not gonna take the risk. better be safe nalang.

continuing...

i then inserted the 16gb into my alcatel onetouch 918n.

then by using a 'microsd to USB' adapter I inserted my 2gb card to my pc.

i used a usb cable to connect my phone(16gb inserted) with the pc.

just to be clear:
2gb card connected via usb adapter to pc
16gb card inserted sa cp then connected cp to pc by usb cable.
:D

i copied everything(literally ctrl+a then ctrl+c) from my 2gb then just pasted it on my phone's new 16gb card. rekta na. di ko na nilagay sa pc ung mga file haha

took me almost 20mins to transfer 1.5gb of data.

after transferring, i then safely disconnected my phone from the pc then rebooted it.

there was a problem though. not all songs have been transfered. but all the apps that was previously installed on the 2gb card was up and running on the 16gb card.

hope this helps. have a good day :)

Upvote 0
I had trouble copying the data files from my 2 gb to my new 32 bg card. It would copy, then stop at some file and I could never figure out the common thread. Finally took it to my closest Sprint store. The tech was able to copy the files over and replace for me. However, it wouldn't read the disk. It acted as if there were nothing there. I discovered this after I left the shop. So I took it back. He worked on it a little bit and was telling me that I had bought a bad disk. But they called the tech center here in Wichita and they weren't busy, so I went out there. The gal messed with it a little bit and had the same results. I couldn't believe all the trouble they were having. Just before she gave up, she said, "Let me try this for you." She took out the battery, rebooted and "Eureka"! I guess it's just a reminder that when in doubt turn it off and reboot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones