New Microsoft "Kin phone" vs Htc erisGeneral

Last Updated:

1. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay so i am sitting in my pscy class and just doing some searching about upcoming verizon phones

I found out the HTC droid incredible(that name sounds stupid to me)
    is coming out the 29th supposedly

and I came across this video and these phones
    Kin 1 & Kin 2

and for it not to be a smart phone(its a hybrid...multi-media with partial smart phone capabilities)

I wanted to see what your take was on it..

I actually think the UI is better then sense and if you take away Android's app
    i actually think the new kin phones are pretty cool...

The kin 1 looks like an ugly palm pre though
    YouTube - Microsoft Kin 2 hands-on demo - Kin 2 consumer phone

Advertisement
  2. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

They both look ugly and I will never ever buy a Microsoft manufactured item every again.

3. carmendiva

Have you ever used zune before?
    I never heard of them before.

I've always used ipods

4. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

Well actually the Zune is interface is actually quite nice. But I still like the simplicity of the iPod touch's interface.

5. The_shake_down

The_shake_down Well-Known Member

I own a Zune and love it! It has lasted 2 years longer than my crappy ipod did and it still runs great.

As for the phone, I think it's too cluttered and the body is not attractive at all.

6. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I just can't go back to WinMo anytime soon. I don't care how the phones look or perform.

7. carmendiva

From my understanding, they aren't using winmo on it(i'd never even consider looking at it)

it's like a zune device with phone capabilities

8. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

These look like great replacements for an enV Touch or Samsung Rogue (the phones that my kids have, as it turns out.)

9. ericDylan

ericDylan Well-Known Member

i would really consider getting the kin 2 if it had android apps ... but i guess i am stuck with the eris ... at least until the next few waves of android phones are released.

10. Richman

Richman Member

From,
    Microsoft to Introduce Kin1 and Kin 2 | Top Tech Reviews
    "On Monday Microsoft introduced two new handsets called Kin1 and Kin 2, they are designed for those who spend too much time on Facebook, sharing images that were snapped by their handsets as well as swapping text messages. The Kin cell phones are available with full QWERTY keyboards and they integrate a number of media and also networking features. Both handsets are going to be offered by Verizon starting from May. But still prices are not disclosed.
    It should be mentioned that the phones are based on a special version of Windows Phone OS so do not even expect to find Windows Phone 7 of version 6.5 on them.
    In fact, the handsets are created for young people, with the help of the Kin OS, one can upload as well as share content. Moreover, it is very easy to keep in touch with your friends which can be done by means of a visually-pleasing and also intuitive interface. It is possible to share links, videos, photos as well as other content, you just need to drag-and-drop the content to a special sharing area known as Kin Spot, and then you have to select a person you want to send.
    The Kin OS is considered to be cloud-based. When you take videos as well as photos on the Kin handsets, as a matter of fact, they are uploaded to the server of Kin. So you are able to log into your account of Kin on your PC in order to view as well as share them with your friends.
    Also they integrate the Zune HD player which is compatible with Macs and PCs.
    But if you are a more advanced user you are able to find some limitations connected with the operating system. The handsets lack video and also photo editing software, also you will be unable to find a universal inbox along with calendar support. Furthermore, there is no support for video as well as photo uploads to Twitter. Actually, the browser does not back up Silverlight and also Flash Lite."

11. Contempt

Contempt Well-Known Member

The Zune HD (latest gen) is awesome. I live in a family full of ipods. There are at least 10 laying around my house and I wouldn't trade my Zune HD for all of them.

I will buy a MS phone if they base it off the Zune HD which is the rumor for the end of this year.

12. carmendiva

And the Kin 2 has an 8 megapixel camera

which is a first for Verizon.

I wish it had apps.
    Seeing how I don't really use the smart part of my phone i'd consider going to a kin 2 since i am a heavy social networker but i can't give up my apps

13. fungalMonk

fungalMonk Well-Known Member

Most interesting to me about the Kin was the automatic "cloud" storage and the timeline interface to said data (though then MS does have all of your data -- curious about lockdown in that regard). The devices look horrible compared to the Eris, and I'd sacrifice too much to consider using one myself, but I can see a niche where it may work well for some folks.

14. textstev

textstev Well-Known Member

The guy looked like he hadn't slept for 10 days, but I must say I am very impressed finally by MS Phones. If they make a phone 3.2in screen size without a keyboard (and probably 4G), and that works flawlessly, I'll get it. It's finally MS style but with synchronization! Apps I could care less about really- everyone gets the basic apps now. It still looks a little messy, but still very good and can't wait until the final release.

15. oxymojoe

oxymojoe Member

hahahah....

The market research and focus groups say this is what people want I suppose. It looks like some kind of take on MotoBlur to me.

16. whewstoosae

whewstoosae Well-Known Member

Going to those phones wouldn't be worth it. They are mainly for the younger teens who cannot stop updating facebook/myspace/twitter and so on. I don't even think that the phones have basic things such as calendars, instant messaging capabilities, and, of course, third-party apps. Their best selling points for those phones are the "cloud" sharing and the cameras.

Microsoft Kin: everything you ever wanted to know -- Engadget

Just read that and you'll get a good overview of the new Kin One and Kin Two.