• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Moment user, have a few questions

9Nails

Dec 3, 2009
Hi all! I just signed up with Sprint after I couldn't get AT&T to come back with a better family data plan. We got 3 moments. The selling point was the display, keyboard, and Google Android.

So, I have a few questions...

First, I have a Bluetooth speakerphone thing. I think it's the Motorola t505. And I'm finding that I have to go into the Moments Bluetooth setting and select it everytime I get in the car. My old phone would just join automatically when it and the Bluetooth were in proximity, or when I turn the Bluetooth on. Can I make the Moment join automatically too?

Next? Why does the spacebar have a speaker icon?

Next? Can I make the keyboard light stay on longer before it automatically turns off? I found that I can press the camera button to make it come back on. But sometime it would be better if it stayed on a minute longer.

Next? When I'm talking on it, and the screen turns off, how do I turn the screen back on? Now, I use the hang-up button then Menu to get the display on. This is a bother then I'm on an automated system and have to press '1' to continue.

Last one, Pandora stutters and sometimes locks up. How can I get it to playback flawlessly? Is there a trick with a certain combination of wireless settings needing to be off?

1) I have a Bluetooth speakerphone thing. I think it's the Motorola t505. And I'm finding that I have to go into the Moments Bluetooth setting and select it everytime I get in the car. My old phone would just join automatically when it and the Bluetooth were in proximity, or when I turn the Bluetooth on. Can I make the Moment join automatically too?

2) Why does the spacebar have a speaker icon?

3) Can I make the keyboard light stay on longer before it automatically turns off? I found that I can press the camera button to make it come back on. But sometime it would be better if it stayed on a minute longer.

4) When I'm talking on it, and the screen turns off, how do I turn the screen back on? Now, I use the hang-up button then Menu to get the display on. This is a bother then I'm on an automated system and have to press '1' to continue.

5) Pandora stutters and sometimes locks up. How can I get it to playback flawlessly? Is there a trick with a certain combination of wireless settings needing to be off?
1) Try turning on your phone's bluetooth first, then turning on your headset. It auto-connects for me if I do that. But if I turn on the headset first, then I find the same problem that you have. Kind of annoying, but maybe it will be fixed after the next update:)

2) Not sure, never tried it before. I just did and it took me to a malfunctioning favorites list? Weird.

3) The keyboard backlight timer is a very in demand setting. Sadly, we have no solution yet.

4) Pull the phone away from you face. It may take a second for the screen to automatically come back on. The proximity sensor turns off your screen when you hold it up to your ear, so that you do not press buttons accidentally. Then when the sensor notices that the phone's face has been pulled away, it will turn the screen back on.

5) It would be a good idea for you to go ahead and browse the topics of this forum. There's a Pandora thread that covers exactly what you are asking. Last time I checked it, a problem with Pandora existed without a solution. But I don't use it, so I dunno.

Basically, it seems that you just listed the main glitches on the phone that most of the concerns in this forum have pertained to (except you didn't mention the GPS). Hopefully we get an update in about a month or two that will fix these.

I bought this phone knowing that it's of course going to be prone to glitches (b/c it's brand new and 1st gen) but it's not as bad as I was expecting. However it is a solid piece of hardware, and software issues can be fixed through updates. Overall this is a great phone that will only get better. I think you will be happy with your triple purchase, even though a few of your current concerns may not currently have solutions.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'm going to ditto CriticalCritics reply. I chose this phone because of the AMOLED display and keyboard (and the reduced costs on Sprint with good service footprint), with the knowledge there will be some glitches that will take software updates and eventually 2.0 Eclair to get "perfect." I'm very happy with the phone and expected this learning curve.

Upvote 0
I'm going to ditto CriticalCritics reply. I chose this phone because of the AMOLED display and keyboard (and the reduced costs on Sprint with good service footprint), with the knowledge there will be some glitches that will take software updates and eventually 2.0 Eclair to get "perfect." I'm very happy with the phone and expected this learning curve.

Out of the thousands of posts I have read the last month or so regarding the Samsung Moment, the post above is the best I've seen as a summarized reason to go with the Moment on Sprint.

Well said! :)

-Gary K

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones