1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

New Motorla Xoom, any hope for Cisco VPN client?Support

1. sentinelace

sentinelace Well-Known Member

Seems to me, cisco is behind. I have a ton of employees who want to start using tablets like this new zoom to connect to a vpn and do work. Any move on this client? I need to connect to a VPN. No, I don't want to root a tablet.

Advertisement
    :
  2. AcesFull

AcesFull Active Member

Or Citrix that works?
  3. sentinelace

Citrix is not a vpn. We use citrix, but we don't open the ports to the public. Much more secure.
  4. Homan13PSU

Homan13PSU Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there some VPN clients out there on Market? It wouldn't need to be a Cisco client to work over Cisco networks necessarially.

That being said, Cisco has a tablet of their own coming out some time so I'm not sure how motivated they are to design an Android VPN client.
  5. sentinelace

There are vpn clients, but not for a cisco router. The one that kind of worked out there, required root and you had to install a rom over it. I don't want to root my clients and void warranties. I would do this on my personal one, but not my clients.
  6. murraj2

murraj2 Active Member

Ehh, that's not entirely true. While most are familiar with the use of Citrix for VDI, some of their new products like Netscaler and CAG are completely capable of acting as an SSL VPN similar to Cisco ASA or Juniper.
  7. Daps

Daps New Member

Does Android come with any stock VPN clients? One that will connect to a firewall via PPTP? There's one on my iphone.

I'm still new to Android and looking at the Xoom.
  8. Homan13PSU

Sorry, I'm a little out of networking practice. But why would the client matter? All you need is a client that runs the right protocols. I imagine your routers are requiring IPSec?

9. bsmall

bsmall New Member

Yes, my Evo has support for PPTP, L2TP, and IPSEC VPNs.
  10. sentinelace

good luck, doesn't work.
  11. Daps

Daps New Member

Ok thanks. Have you used them before?

VPN doesn't work? None of those protocols? I'll be going into a WatchGuard firewall.

I did read about the DroidX I believe and having problems with VPN but from reading it seems like it was due to Verizon and some settings and you had to call and have them do something. Read it would work over wifi just not 3G until they called Verizon

I wonder will HoneyComb recognize AD-Hoc networks now, without having to do a hack.
  12. Homan13PSU

Are you getting a reason for it not working? Like I said; you shouldn't need a Cisco produced client to VPN into a Cisco router or switch. You just need to be using the correct protocol.

Just look at my work computer; my company does a lowest bidder VPN client and it interfaces with our Cisco equipment just fine. I think there's another reason you can't get your phones to VPN in, and it has to do with the protocol stack.
  13. sentinelace

It doesn't work, because the IOS on my router doesn't support it. I'm running a 2811
  14. Homan13PSU

Well then it sounds like your ISR needs an IOS upgrade, because the phones aren't your problem.
  15. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

This conversation is so much over my head I don't know what to say.
  16. sentinelace

There is not an upgrade available right now.
  17. Homan13PSU

Just curious. I imagine remote users for you can VPN back into your network yes? What client are you pushing out as part of your enterprise laptop image, and what protocol are you using to tunnel back into your enterprise network?

Edit: not trying to be difficult and I apologize if any of my posts have come across that way. Just trying to get you a solution to your issue.
  18. sentinelace

We use a VPN cisco client and then either RDP to the server or use citrix. I may try and get the citrix app to work since the vpn won't.
  19. brimur

brimur New Member

To expand on exactly WHY Android native VPN app does not work. Cisco IPSEC VPN requires a Group ID/Password these days and although Android has IPSEC VPN it does not have the option for Group ID/Password so that is the reason it will not work. Its not a case of the user requiring an IOS update. Maybe an IOS downgrade back to before Group Password was used might work but you dont want to be doing that really :p
    Homan13PSU likes this.
  20. brimur

brimur New Member

Also the Anyconnect Android client will not appear anytime soon, Google will not allow that level of access to its OS that the client would require. So for the foreseeable future it will be only rooted devices that will be able to connect to modern Cisco ASA's and the like
  21. Homan13PSU

Thanks for this post. I didn't realize that the Android VPN clients don't support the Group ID feature.
  22. kennychaffin

kennychaffin Well-Known Member

Well that totally sucks....
  23. jrowlings

jrowlings Well-Known Member

deal breaker. i'd be on my xoom right now if it weren't for this (patiently waiting for flash, willing to part with it for a couple weeks while they install 4G and SD card slot in the factory and bearing the slow dribble of tablet optimized apps... seriously!).
  24. cybrwulf

cybrwulf Member

Interim fix for Cisco coming in the for of an upgrade to IOS in April and full Anyconnect coming this summer.
  25. sentinelace

Says who? Link?