Support New Nexus 7 startup Catch 22

1. SpikeInfinity

SpikeInfinity Member

I can't get past the WiFi connection page of my new Nexus 7 because the WiFi is available only to known mac addresses.
    I can't access the settings menu to get the mac address because it won't let me past the WiFi connection page.

20 Goto 10

How do I break this little catch 22?

Edit: I've got round the problem now thanks to the posters below, but I wanted to make it clearer for future readers that this problem only exists when you boot up a Nexus 7 for the very first time. There's a few setup screens you have to go through before you can get into Android proper. One of which is the WiFi connection. You can't get to the settings menu (or any other part of the Android OS) until you get past these pages. Hence the problem.

Advertisement
  2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Go somewhere you can get a free WiFi connection

Or use your phone as a hotspot
    SpikeInfinity likes this.
  3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! VIP Member

I turned on airplane mode so all radios are disabled and I can see my Mac address via Settings -> About Tablet -> Status. Scroll down the popup and my Mac address is towards the bottom.

Can you see yours there?
  4. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter! Moderator

My recommendation would be to disable that for the purpose of setting up your N7 then enable it and add the MAC address after. Also, make sure you write down the MAC addresses for the rest of your devices in case you should have to reenter them. I don't really know of any other way to find it.
  5. SpikeInfinity

SpikeInfinity Member

El Presidente: The problem is I can't get to the settings page without first connecting.
    palmtree5: Nice suggestion, but the thought of re-entering of all my mac addresses was what I wanted to avoid.
    Rxpert83
    : Thanks. That's what I ended up doing. Went somewhere I knew wasn't locked to mac addresses and hooked onto their WiFi so I could get the mac address from the settings page.

Strikes me as a bit of an oversight on Asus's/Google's part. What they could do is put the mac address on the WiFi connection page just in case you need it.