• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New or Refurb on the Way. Arg. Advice?

ejchis

May 12, 2010
MI
A few weeks ago, my camera flash/flashlight stopped working. I didn't know the cause. Occassionally, I noticed the flash would come on very dull before going out again. Then it stopped working completely. Although I was unable to find a thread suggesting that anyone else was having this problem, I figured that my bulbs must have died. I kept meaning to go get it checked out at a Sprint store, but I just wasn't making time to go.

Last week, one of the corners on my PhantomSkinz cover got beat up a little bit. I have another set here ready to go (matte instead of the clear), and I was going to put the new skin on, but I decided I should go to the Sprint store to have my flash looked at first just in case they were going to replace my device. So I went this morning.

I waited for about two hours while a tech worked on my phone. I kept being reassured that it would be done soon, so I kept waiting around. When the CS rep brought me my phone, she said that they had been unable to fix the flash. They had replaced the bulbs without success, so they replaced the entire camera and still had no success. Then they did a wipe of my phone, and still the flash wouldn't work. Replacement device should be here tomorrow.

I've been fully rooted and running Fresh's ROMs since July. I don't know if I can handle going backward. So I was contemplating not accepting the new device if the hardware version was one of the yet-to-be-rooted models. Unfortunately, the tech somehow broke the vibrate functionality today. I can hear the phone try to vibrate when I'm holding it in a silent room, but something isn't lining up properly. I never use any notifiers other than vibrate, so this is a deal-breaker.

I have to admit that I've been mostly off the forum since July. The phone had been 100% problem-free up until the flash issue, and things were too busy to keep up here. So I'm not as well versed on people's recent experiences. I'd love to hear some opinions from people on what I should do in this scenario. Should I have Sprint fix my vibrate and reload my software and live without a flash? Should I keep the new device and wait for one of our wonderful devs to figure out how to root it? Any other alternatives?

TYIA,
Eric

EDIT: Also, should I accept a refurb? Have people reported problems with those at all?

How often did you use the flash? Only you can decide if it's worth having a phone that isn't 100% functional in exchange for root. That being said, you *can* root an Evo with the newer hboot; it's just not as easy:

[ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02 S-OFF - Like a Boss Edition! - Updated 11/20/10 - xda-developers

Along with that, you might have issues with some roms until HTC releases the newer source. Chances are, there will be an easier root for it eventually. I generally don't recommend this method unless you really know what you're doing.

I can't really speak to the refurb issue. I've never had to go through it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response and for the link to the xda instructions.

Your point about how often I actually need the camera flash is worthwhile. I don't need it often. The problem is that, when I am taking a picture in a darker room, it's particularly frustrating to not have it. I don't own any other camera, so I rely on this device quite a bit.

I was able to get my vibrate going again with a good smack. I'm reloading everything now.

Anyone have any good guesses about how long I might expect to wait for one of the newer builds to be more easily rooted?

Upvote 0
Personally, I would go with a replacement phone, but you do have some time left on your warranty (well, technically you don't since you have root, but...). If it really starts to bug you, get a new one. If you get a refurb, you might not even have to worry about the new hboot. If you do, keep in mind that the only part that's is currently annoying is the that you will have issues with some roms. HTC will have to give it up eventually. As to the root method, if you're comfortable with it, go for it. If not, unfortunately, none of us can say how long it will be before an easier method comes around.

This is sort of unrelated, but did you unroot before taking your phone in for service? I've been hearing these stories about people bringing in their rooted Evo and not being denied service.

Upvote 0
I did not unroot.

Actually, I rooted the device I received on launch day, and I later realized that I had a bad handset speaker. I was concerned going in to have it looked at. As it turned out, though, no one said a word to me, and they gave me a brand-spanking-new device. That's the phone I'm dealing with now.

When I went in this morning, I did revert back to the HTC lock screen, and I set the Sense UI as my default launcher just to avoid raising any unnecessary eyebrows immediately upon handing my phone over.

Since they did a full wipe, I know that the tech who worked on my phone most likely also saw the Fresh boot-up screen. The tech also very well might have loaded into the Amon RA recovery screen and seen a bunch of files with "root" somewhere in their names. Nonetheless, I have a new device on the way without any comments or questions asked.

Back on topic, I find myself in a weird spot where I'm actually hoping Sprint sends me a refurb. I used to refuse refurbs and insist on new devices only. That was based on nothing more than me just wanting new more than used. It would be great if UPS shows up tomorrow with a refurb that I can root right out of the box though.

Upvote 0
If it is a hardware issue then they should not refuse you service.....regardless of whether you are rooted or not. Technically, there is legal precedent that you can fall back on(Magnusson-Moss Act). I do realize you want to make it as easy as possible on yourself. But a hardware issue totally unrelated to you being rooted should not be refused.

Upvote 0
If it is a hardware issue then they should not refuse you service.....regardless of whether you are rooted or not. Technically, there is legal precedent that you can fall back on(Magnusson-Moss Act). I do realize you want to make it as easy as possible on yourself. But a hardware issue totally unrelated to you being rooted should not be refused.

A few blips:

A "limited warranty" is one that does not meet the federal minimums. Such warranties must be "conspicuously designated" as limited warranties.

and

The Act does not invalidate or restrict any right or remedy of any consumer under state law. The Act is not the dominant regulation of consumer product warranties, and while it prescribes certain disclosures and restricts certain limitations on warranties, it leaves other warranty law untouched.[4]

from Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

see page 183 of the booklet. HTC has a 12 month limited warranty ....and unfortunately item a does state (though rather vague)

"This warranty does not apply to:

(a) Product subjected to abnormal use or conditions, accident, mishandling, neglect, unauthorized alteration, misuse, improper installation or repair or improper storage "

I don't like it..but they are written that way for a reason. the last paragraph is of interest to..as it refers to the fact that warranty laws differ from state to state

I am unclear why this keeps coming up...it takes what...10 minutes tops to unroot an Evo? Unroot, take it in, get it fixed/replaced and move on I say.

like I said...I don't like it...but it is what it is. the act mostly applies to Full Warranties...and it's limitations are why we are seeing more and more "limited warranties" on products. They are perfectly legal, and usually very vague.

Upvote 0

goodluck PROVING it has nothing to do with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones