• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ****NEW OTA 4.67.651.3 is out DO NOT ACCEPT IT****

Upvote 0
Im not entirely new to rooting. I used to have a droid x that was rooted and was wayyyyy easier to root about seven months ago. I became to have a hatred toward Verizon due to the increasing charges and idiotic associates. So I switched to Sprint and got myself a comparable HTC EVO 4G. Woo. Until I quickly found out there was no way to root a phone with S-ON. So I let go of the chance of rooting until this morning when I decided I want to root again. But last night I recieved the OTA at work and allowed to to install. Im losing faith now that I will never be able to root again thanks to my switch from Motorola to HTC. :(

1. Will my phone allow me to root if I have an un-rooted phone with the new OTA?
2. If so, is there a guide with step-by-step instructions on how to do so?
3. If yes to both, and I can get my phone rooted properly, what roms do you highly recommend? I know Cyanogen is popular among droidforums folks. Any different here??

Upvote 0
Im not entirely new to rooting. I used to have a droid x that was rooted and was wayyyyy easier to root about seven months ago. I became to have a hatred toward Verizon due to the increasing charges and idiotic associates. So I switched to Sprint and got myself a comparable HTC EVO 4G. Woo. Until I quickly found out there was no way to root a phone with S-ON. So I let go of the chance of rooting until this morning when I decided I want to root again. But last night I recieved the OTA at work and allowed to to install. Im losing faith now that I will never be able to root again thanks to my switch from Motorola to HTC. :(

1. Will my phone allow me to root if I have an un-rooted phone with the new OTA?
3. If yes to both, and I can get my phone rooted properly, what roms do you highly recommend? I know Cyanogen is popular among droidforums folks. Any different here??

Every root method we have has changed you from S-ON to S-OFF, so you were able to root the phone the moment you got the EVO in hand.

You can still root with the new OTA, but the procedure went from being very easy to slightly more complicated. To make matters worse, the new method requires that you use HTC's Dev boot unlocker, which will place a watermark on your h-boot screen. People are hard at work getting this watermark off, and it looks like there is a method to do so.

Procedures for rooting the new OTA:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/488901-rooting-hboot-2-18-dummies-guide.html

Reactions: ay44evo and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1.yes you can still root your phone. but in the future you should not accept an ota if you plan on rooting your phone. luckily a few people have figured it out on how to root the evo. but the tool we used now will not work with the new hboot that came with the latest update.

2.yes there is a guide. it is the one that rxpert linked. this process is a lot more involved as you first have to unlock the bootloader with the htc method and then you will have to use captain throwback's method to downgrade your hboot to 2.10 then you will have to run unrevoked to get s-off.

3.and as far as roms go, it is all matter of opinion. i think that the first rom you should try out is mikg3.0. it is a sense 2.1 and sense 3.0 rom that is very fast and stable. and cm7 is a good rom, but it is an aosp rom and you will have to flash the gapps file and maybe even the qualcomm drivers to get gps working. but there are also deck's, and xplod as well, if you like aosp roms.

Reactions: ay44evo
Upvote 0
go into recovery and wipe dalvik cache and cache. any time you get weird glitches or issues like that wiping the dalvik cache and cache most of the times will fix those kinds of issues.

also are you on stock? maybe you should try a custom rom like mikg3.0. please read the:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html. it has sections on how to flash roms.

I tried wipe out the cache steps but unfortunately still have the wifi in a state of 'error '. Got any more tricks up your sleeve?!?!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I would try to have at least 50% or more.

Depending on how fast you move through the process, you may need more or less. If you are unsure, be patient, let the phone charge. If you've read the guide a couple of hundred times, 50% is plenty.

I swear I read the old guide at least 50 or 60 times before I built up the courage to root. Some catch on faster than others, for me, it took about 2 weeks!

I'm kinda slow. :D

Upvote 0
I got through the HTCDev with fairly little difficulty.

I was on the second step of the process, turning s-off. What I had done was left my phone on in the first bootloader screen without selecting any option. What that did was, told my computer that my phone was still unconnected to the PC. I turned the phone off, tried unplugging and plugging it back in, pulling the battery, it seemed like nothing was working, so I started to experiment with some of the options in the first bootloader screen. My first choice was the Hboot usb option at the bottom thinking "USB" it will connect the phone. It did nothing for the commend prompt like I needed. My second choice was to choose clear storage thinking maybe the cache needed to be wiped for it to connect. Then after that didnt work, I tried adding some files that "can be placed on the root of the SD card" as stated by capt. Then went through the process, and again, nothing. Thats when I posted and asked the forum for some help. :thinking: But because of my persistant nature, I pushed forward for a solution to my own problem.
Knowing that the recovery would take me to the recovery screen in the next step of capt's process, I disregarded it.
I found it in the fastboot option on the bootloader screen on my next attempt. As soon as I pressed the power button with fastboot selected, It connected and provided me with a way to the next step.
Already flashed the .zip file in step three.
Step four was simple.
Moving on the step 5 right now. I will update the my status as I progress through it further.

Upvote 0
I got through the HTCDev with fairly little difficulty.

Moving on the step 5 right now. I will update the my status as I progress through it further.
huge thanx for the update. ok that was what i thought. i will let captain know that maybe he should make that a little more clear that fastboot in the bootloader menu needs to be selected before entering the command to fastboot the recovery.img.

thanx again and keep us posted.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
Okay, so HBOOT version changed. Root may be impossible, or is it?
If your have a non-rooted EVO and you are on 4.54.651.1 or below you can choose either option in Revolutionary and you will still gain S-OFF. I maybe be dumb enough to try this on the new 4.67.651.3 update for the sake of curiosity, maybe if it doesn't eat my phone and kill it I'll be fine, and we can continue rooting our phones, I'll bring news of my findings.
i would love that answer i dont have root but i did update

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Step five says to use the command prompt to navigate adb. when I type in "adb shell" after directory, I get a message saying error: device not found. I do have USB debugging on and fast boot off. whats up with this. been fiddling with it since last night and no luck, any help is appreciated.
Is your question about my guide? If so, you'll get better (probably faster too) help if you actually post in that thread.

I assume you already did the HTC unlock process, so you should have the necessary drivers installed. Is your device connected to the computer? Do you see the USB icon in the Notification bar, and the USB Debugging icon?

@ocnbrze
You might want to indicate on the guide that the NAND unlocking process is purely optional; most users will never have a need to flash anything on their device that requires it. That way people don't necessarily think that the entire process HAS to be completed.

Upvote 0
Update 2.3.5 wants to install on my mom's Evo but whenever we click "Install Now" it shuts down and just brings us to the bootloader. How can we get her phone to update?

The phone is rooted, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

yes please read the op of this thread for your answer.

are you rooted? if so you can just flash an ota rom. here try one of these:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...oms-stock-4-67-651-3-new-ota-update-roms.html

just pick one. they are pretty much the same thing.

Upvote 0
Ok, I think I screwed myself here. I rooted one of my evo's so I could use it for my Ipad 2. I didn't do custom roms or anything so I think it was running Sense (I don't really know, what ever happens when you do a very minimal root is what I have). I got an update for my non rooted phone and got notification of an update on my rooted phone. I wasn't thinking and went ahead with it.:( Now I have an explanation point in a triangle and a little blue droid on the screen and I am not able to do anything, no restart and none of the buttons respond. Is there anything I can do at this point?

I knew that I wasn't supposed to update a rooted phone but it just slipped my mind that the phone was even rooted.

**Update**
I pulled the battery out and restarted the phone and it seemed to work normally. It then asked me if I wanted to instal the downloaded update so I did.

JK, I didn't. It seems that every thing is back to normal. Is there any other steps that I should be taking to prevent further damage at this point?

Upvote 0
Ok, I think I screwed myself here. I rooted one of my evo's so I could use it for my Ipad 2. I didn't do custom roms or anything so I think it was running Sense (I don't really know, what ever happens when you do a very minimal root is what I have). I got an update for my non rooted phone and got notification of an update on my rooted phone. I wasn't thinking and went ahead with it.:( Now I have an explanation point in a triangle and a little blue droid on the screen and I am not able to do anything, no restart and none of the buttons respond. Is there anything I can do at this point?

I knew that I wasn't supposed to update a rooted phone but it just slipped my mind that the phone was even rooted.

**Update**
I pulled the battery out and restarted the phone and it seemed to work normally. It then asked me if I wanted to instal the downloaded update so I did.

JK, I didn't. It seems that every thing is back to normal. Is there any other steps that I should be taking to prevent further damage at this point?
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ok so lets see where the phone is at now. make sure fastboot is unchecked, settings>apps>uncheck fastboot.next power off then press and hld power+vol down. this will take you to the bootloader. at the top of the screen it will give you your hboot and if you have s-on or s-off. report back with what you find.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones