New OTA and Root...

Last Updated:

1. DocTauri

DocTauri Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So has anyone who is rooted seen any odd behavior after NOT taking the new update? I woke up the other day, turned on the phone and was told the new update was ready. I clicked Update Later. I've never seen the update message since, and when I go to System Updates it says it's up to date.

For the first time I had a 3G problem with this phone todat. I've had this problem with other phones, but never this one. Basically, 3G died, I couldn't do anything with 3G until after I pulled the battery and rebooted.

In looking around, I realize that the radio has updated to 2.15.00.07.28, but the software version is still at 3.21.605.1.

So basically, it took the radio update, but not the software update, even though I never told it to, and to top it off, it thinks it's done successfully. All while it was rooted.

Wierd... I'm thinking now, if it continues to show 3G flakiness, I'll have to unroot and manually apply the RUU, but am worried that it'll attempt to apply the radio update a second time, which as I recall from last time, can brick the phone.

Doc

Advertisement
  2. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

Try dialing #22899 and update your prl and see if it helps.

3. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

You have the same radio that came with 2.2. The new update doesn't have an updated radio version.

4. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

if you have s-off i can walk u thru to the new update. its nothin special anyway. but i can help u.

5. shred1

shred1 Well-Known Member

I have s-off and wouldn't mind updating,but I'm on a custom rom and not willing to have to go back to zero again.

6. sdrawkcab25

The only thing really worth applying from the latest ota is the kernel which is easily flashable without doing anything special.

7. DocTauri

DocTauri Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the info and help offers, I followed the instructions at Installing OTA to Rooted Android and got the new update and root working great again.

Doc

8. Esance

Esance Member

The new kernel is responsible for the faster battery charge and everything like that right? I ended up manually updating to the November update, but I'm starting to miss root. Im thinking about going back to stock, rooting, and flashing the new kernel. I know there is a process to root the new ota but I feel like i might as well do away with the Vcast app store anyway.

9. sdrawkcab25

Yes the new kernel effects the battery charging time.
    you can not root if you've applied the new ota unless you are s-off.