• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
"Yesterday the folks from Verizon and HTC posted up details confirming that the aging HTC Thunderbolt smartphone was set to receive a software update this week. Initially I thought it could be a cruel April Fools joke, but turns out this was real because users have already started reporting the update is live. For all you Thunderbolt fans you’ll want to stay tuned.

Yesterday we reported the details on this small bug fixing update, and now it’s already rolling out to handsets around the US. Again, this is not Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and the Thunderbolt probably won’t see it, and instead is just a software update bringing a few fixes and such.

Verizon recently updated the Thunderbolt to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich in February, after almost 7 months of a delay after initially claiming an August update timeframe. Today’s update looks to just solve a few little pesky bugs, remove some bloatware, and fix some email connectivity problems.

The folks from Droid-Life received the screenshot above, confirming the update is indeed real and actually arriving on users Thunderbolt smartphones as we speak. As usual you can head into settings and check for updates manually if you’d rather not wait, otherwise stay tuned as you should be receiving this momentarily.
"

Source: HTC Thunderbolt update rolling out now with bug fixes

Upvote 0
I am getting the OTA update as I write. It's really sad that Verizon doesn't inform their support people about things like this. I have spoken to three support people in the past week about my Tbolt becoming unusable since getting ICS. None of them knew anything about an update. Yesterday, a great Tech person gave me a new DNA Droid for the new contract price ($199) even though I had 6 months left until I qualified for it. He was a second level tech and knew nothing about an update. He spoke to his supervisor, and she wasn't informed either. A sad showing for Verizon. I'll see if this update fixes the problems that the ICS update caused.

Upvote 0
Like an idiot I didn't have my rooted Thunderbolt Automatic update turned off. As a result I am in a failed update loop. I can get to the 4EXT tools but I have no idea how to stop the update. I have 2 TBs. 1 rooted, 1 not. I was able to kill the update on the non-rooted but it appears that the update lives in cache. I just wiped the cache partition, hope that works. So, the question is, how can I abort the update?:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones