• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Owner-JB Updating & Other Questions

marine one

Dec 22, 2009
First post over here, as I am usually over in the Droid Bionic area (along with Johngalt).

I am going to be getting a TF700 later today. My wife surprised me with a tablet for my birthday yesterday and got the right brand but the wrong model (TF300), so I am going to exchange it.

My first question concerns the JB update. I've read through the posts on this forum concerning the update, and while I have mixed feelings about it, I plan install it right away. I'm thinking that once I get the unit up and running I'll immediately download and install the update and then do a full reset before adding any apps or customizing in any way. My logic comes from my experience updating a Droid Bionic from GB to ICS less than a week ago. It seemed that the factory reset was necessary to make ICS run as intended. So the question is, how would others would proceed regarding the JB update with a fresh, out of the box device?

My second question concerns an extended warranty. My wife purchased the TF300 at Best Buy so I will be doing my exchange there. Over the years I have purchased laptops from Best Buy and have always also purchased their PSP warranty. In the last 15 or so years, I have had three laptops replaced outright either as a result of issues that were covered or as a result of the plan's "no lemon" clause. I've read a number of reviews that addressed problems with the TF700 screen-either the glass cracking or internal display related issues. I'm also wondering if it would be covered under warranty if the unit doesn't respond properly or at all after the JB update is attempted. Given these considerations, is $100 for the extended warranty worth it on a $600 device?
Thanks in advance!

question #1
i would just do the JB update. there is no need to do a factory reset as it is already reset to factory......so just go for it.

question#2
i would highly recommend that you get the geek squad protection from best buy. it will cover screen issues. and if you have any issues when you do the JB update, you can still take in to best buy under the gsp protection. plus you have the 30 days return and exchange policy. so if JB is not working right within the time frame then you can bring it back

Reactions: marine one
Upvote 0
After letting it charge until the LED turned green I turned the TF700 on for the first time last night. I checked for updates and it downloaded and prompted me to do one. After playing with it for awhile I checked again and there was a second one so I downloaded and installed it as well. I'm guessing it was JB as I am now on Android version 4.1.1. So far I must say I love this new tablet. Only (minor) complaint is some very slight screen flickering when transitioning between apps. It seems to be more noticeable when viewing something with a white background.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones