• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Owner Please advice

rimmi2002

Dec 2, 2010
Hi I just took a plunge into to the smartphone market. Had a blackberry pearl 8310 before with no data and loved it.

Now it was time for a new phone and I actually went to costco to get HTC incredible, but ended up getting fascinate because loved it screen and it was light weight.

I apologize for the long introduction but I had some beginner's questions.

1) If I root my samsung, can I take it back to factory levels (unrooted) just as easily?

2) Can rooted phones be returned? I love the screen, but am still getting used to txting on the smart phone. I might decide to pull the plug if I am not completely happy by the end of 90 days with the phone.

3) Is samsung really bad in customer support looked like the 2.2 update still isn't out and it been out for months on other phones. If Samsung doesn't get 2.2 out in 90 days this is going back to costco cause that's just horrible support.

4) Lastly is there another phone out there is super AMOLED screen. Hoenstly its the best feature of fascinate otherwise I'd still go with the incredible.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi I just took a plunge into to the smartphone market. Had a blackberry pearl 8310 before with no data and loved it.

Now it was time for a new phone and I actually went to costco to get HTC incredible, but ended up getting fascinate because loved it screen and it was light weight.

I apologize for the long introduction but I had some beginner's questions.

1) If I root my samsung, can I take it back to factory levels just as easily?

2) Can rooted phones be returned? I love the screen, but am still getting used to txting on the smart phone. I might decide to pull the plug if I am not completely happy by the end of 90 days with the phone.

3) Is samsung really bad in customer support looked like the 2.2 update still isn't out and it been out for months on other phones.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

1. yes we can unroot and restore everything done to the phone short of a perma-brick which is nearly impossible to do
2. technically root voids your warranty, but if you unroot and return in 30 days you arent doing anything wrong in my book :)
3. 2.2 is the mythical unicorn that many of us no longer believe in :eek:

Upvote 0
90 days? verizon only allows 30 days fo returns

yeah 30 days for verizon contract which I'll most likely keep. Moving from At&t. Costco is very nice and gives 90 days for the phone. I probably would be with the Incredible if it wasn't for the super nice screen on the fascinate. So I guess I'll go ahead and root and see what is the most I can get out of my phone.

I was just looking through the rooting section and saw these options:

So if get this right...I do the rooting tutoral first, then what does cyanogen ROM flash and clockworkmod do?

Also I tried going to speedtest.net and tried to find the speed of my 3g connection, but seems like it need flash to work (no 2.2! come on samsung). Is there another way I can test the speed of my 3g connection?

Thanks for your hep.

Upvote 0
So if get this right...I do the rooting tutoral first, then what does cyanogen ROM flash and clockworkmod do?

Also I tried going to speedtest.net and tried to find the speed of my 3g connection, but seems like it need flash to work (no 2.2! come on samsung). Is there another way I can test the speed of my 3g connection?

Thanks for your hep.

cyanogen rom flash thing, is just another root tutorial (we dont actually have cyanogen mod roms...yet)

clockwork mod replaces (or in this case circumvents) stock recovery to allow you to "flash" things like themes, roms, kernels to your phone.

speetest.net has an app in the market that allows you to test your speed :)

i rooted last night with z4root
its almost 1 click in the android market

if you plan on flashing roms/themes/etc you really need to read up on installing samsung drivers, odin, and clockwork recovery....we have already seen several people here and at xda do z4 root...not read up on other stuff...and brick their phones :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones