New owner, questionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. Andrewdroid

Andrewdroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Unlike a lot of others, I went straight from a fairly dumbphone... Moto Z6 (did a few 'smart' things, but pretty dumb overall), to this beautiful Samsung Einstein phone that makes me feel like a schmuck. My new phone is definitely smarter than its operator. Anyway, I have a lot of newbie type questions.

#1. AT&T didn't put any instruction book or whatever, is there some internet tutorial I can play with for android or samsung? When I google that, I get programming tutorials only.

#2. Recommendations on some kinda screen shield or very very thin case... cuz I know I will murder this thing with coins, keys or some other metallic demon.

#3. I synchronized Facebook and Google.. now there's a thousand contacts I don't want in my phone. If I hide them, I lose some people I want. Any ideas on how to delete multiple contacts? I can't find it.

#4. Please give me your list of must-have applications that everyone loves.

#5. I got my phone's "unlock code", put in a foreign sim, and seem to have "unlocked" it, but I think my foreign sim isn't registered anymore "SIM not provisioned MM#2 ". I dont care about the foreign sim, it's long been useless, the carrier definitely de-registered it. I just wanna know if it's unlocked for good now when I travel.

#6. One reason I got an android, was because I hated seeing my cousin constantly tied to big fat bloated itunes with his iphone. But it had some advantages that I think he could control some aspects of his phone through itunes such as load apps. Is there an android equivalent to this idea? I like using my computer better to find information on apps.

Advertisement
  2. Boldt

Boldt Well-Known Member

I answered what I could. Hope others can help answer your other questions

3. jopet216

jopet216 Active Member

I'm a new noob to the android world myseld (previous 3G owner). I love the phone, but it's still a little buggy sometimes. People have had or have GPS issues with it, but after the last update mine seems to be working....so far. Heres the stuff I have on mine.

Case: Body Glove, but there's a nice one from seidio for $30
    Screen protector: Got the SAGG, but plan on switching to realook when I decided to stop being lazy:D.

APPS
    Advanced Task Killer: must have to save battery
    Launcher pro: look around forums for tips
    Beautiful Widgets
    Barcode Scanner
    K-9 mail: Its for my Yahoo mail accout. I've pretty much given up on checking it using the phone cuz it's so slooooooooooooow.
    For google map navigation
    Home switcher
    Vingo voice
    Pandora
    Tripit
    doubleTwist
    Apps Organizer
    AppBrain App Market: You'll get a lot of ideas here for what apps you want to have.
    Word Feud
    Angry Birds (beta)

Have fun with your new phone...

4. Andrewdroid

Andrewdroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been having lots of fun with AppBrain and found some great ones by following random users. I'm mostly interested in Apps that do new things, not do things better...until I get used to the phone.
    3G watchdog I think is good too watch ur 3G usage esp with the new at&t data plan,
    Aldiko is a good e-reader,
    Barcode scanner I love of course,
    Classic snake, I'm partial to this cuz I used to get a 999 on nokia's during jury duty.,. and have it again soon.
    GPS Status
    JEFit... it's like a workout application, tells you how to do exercises properly
    JuiceDefender, is like a battery saver thing.. seems good so far
    Meebo I like as a good all-in-one instant messenger, maybe there are better but I don't know yet
    My Tracks, tracks ur movement on GPS outputs to a file if you like. Hopefully I can use this to tag my photos from my SLR
    NYCMate... this u won't need unless ur in the city, but it has subway maps and stuff
    Pandora
    Talk To Me -- it's a speech to speech translator... you speak to the phone in English and it translates into another language and speaks that one. So cool.. it's lke star trek or something

Vlingo Voice -- You can dictate text messages by voice, or emails, search google etc, it understands what you're doing -- you just say "Text Steve, "I'll meet you at 8 pm at 34th street and 5th avenue...." and it'll write the text message for you. Really cool.

Yelp is nice but the people are a bit too trendy with their reviews. Too many hipster reviews on it.

Anyway, I've been having fun discovering new things you can do with it. One thing I'm looking for is a way to synchronize or convert my itunes library for use with Android... seems like every way to do this is missing either my playlists or album art.