• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New PC = Old PC?

jefboyardee

Extreme Android User
Jan 18, 2011
As I've admitted here, I have a 2005 'cutting-edge' HP Pavilion with Win7 HP on 2GB. It does a lot, but slowly. I just bought a Dell Latitude laptop, also with Win7 HP on 2GB. I'm trying to make the laptop a roadworthy clone of the desktop, so they both act pretty much the same. I'm getting close, but...

On the PC, rather than throw a bunch of shortcuts into the Startup folder and let them trip on each other during boot, I put them in a folder called Startme, and put that folder as the only file in Startup. When I boot, it only loads the registry runs and then pops up the Startme folder on the desktop, whose contents I launch manually (c:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Startme\*.*).

I went to do that with the laptop, and Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\ had no Start Menu folder at all. So I made one and put it where it belongs. Then I added my stuff, Programs\Startup\Startme\*.*). But when I boot, not only does the Startme folder fail to appear on the desktop, what does appear is a new, empty Start Menu folder – it appears on boot and when I launch various programs.

Assuming I'm missing some obvious point, I'm giving you a laugh and begging for a solution.

At first, I created the folders and filled Startme with local shortcuts from within the laptop, didn't work. Then tried copying everything over from the PC, but also populating it with local shortcuts, same non-result. Now I just have Startme on the desktop to remind me to open it and launch its guts.

Upvote 0
You're both discussing a weirdness I've already been wondering about. I have to think that 'Start Menu' and 'Startup' are two different things. One is implemented by clicking Start on the desktop, the other launches stuff automatically on boot or login. Further, the 'Taskbar and Start Menu' control panel tabs make no mention of 'Startup.'

But why the Startup folder lives in the Start Menu folder is beyond me.

Upvote 0
[ S O L V E D ]

Oh. My. God. You fixed two problems at once! I dragged my Startme folder as you directed and not only does it appear on boot, but the empty, mysteriously reappearing Start Menu folder stopped reappearing.

So the problem was my conception of the way I have my PC set up. And even stranger, the folder you directed me to is empty there, even though Startme works just fine in 'AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\', as I described earlier.

Upvote 0
Compared to trying to understand Linuxese, Windows makes perfect sense (to me).

And I moved that Startme folder to the correct location you taught me and it still works. even though it worked fine the wrong way. This forum needs a SOLVED award button, it'd look good with your hat.

Upvote 0
I'm going to put my geek hat back on.

610783.jpg

That's a RedHat Linux hat, back when they used to give out free hats.

Upvote 0
Anyway, thank y'all for getting me on the road with my new toy. I've bought and returned several PCs over the years and this one is a keeper, even though I technically don't need it. My next issue will ask about how the •••• do I get HomeGroup to work, and do I even want to.

Upvote 0
[ S O L V E D ]the empty, mysteriously reappearing Start Menu folder stopped reappearing.

It started again, but as long as I leave it on the desktop it doesn't replicate ad infinitum.

how the •••• do I get HomeGroup to work

I got it to work by comparing the lapper's and the desker's services.mcs entries and making the desk mimic the lap. Years ago, when I had only one gig of ram, I obeyed some strange internet advice and turned durn near everything off... but I still don't know if I'll ever use it.

Upvote 0
New confusion: laptops, or at least this one, don't have scroll wheels. To scroll a webpage, for instance, I have to use Page Up/Down keys, left-click button & drag down, or press the down arrow a zillion times. I've read that you can do it on the far right edge of an HP touchpad, but this is a Dell. What's even worse, it appears to only have the PS2 generic mouse driver with no mention of touchpad or scrolling. If there's a beast that addresses this, I can't google it... help?

Upvote 0
It is dependant on the touchpad you have installed... some have a scroll edge (some even have a horizontal scroll, but that always seems to be defaulted off, even when the hardware is there), but not all of them are so equipped.

I carry a mid-range Logitech cordless mouse with me, so half the time I don't even use the touchpad.

Reactions: jefboyardee
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones