• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New phone but concerns.....

xraptorx

Sep 7, 2009
Hey Guys

I will be buying a new phone Q1.2010 and thus far I have been using HTC Touch Cruise. I am very disappointed with this phone speed. I have used it with the standard ROM and with cooked ROMs from Xda. Even with WinMo 6.5 the phone is just bloody laggy. It is 3 digits behind me when I want to type a fone number. On average the phone is 3 seconds behind with most actions I want to perform :eek:

I was about to jump ship and go with the iphone and jailbreak it so I could run more than 1 application at a time, but then HTC Hero came and I figured Android is finally mature enough to keep away from apple :D

However, there is no phone out there that runs Android on hardware that is equal or better to apple. The Hero reviews sum it up to say VERY laggy and horrible battery life. The Moto Droid seems to be the best phone out right now, but the CPU is underclocked :mad:

So maybe the Sony X10 is worth waiting for and I WANT a bigger screen than the HTC Hero and Touch Cruise have. The screen should be comparable to iPhone. So what do you guys recommend for Q1.2010? Which phone will be the best Android iPhone Killer available within the next 4 months?

You'd need to define "iPhone Killer" a little more clearly.

The G1 whups the iPhone in many areas, and is still being used by a massive amount of die-hard android fans to this day. My Hero does not lag at all unless I gum it up with processes/apps - in exactly the same way my laptop would. I have tried many custom roms, and have settled on the official Orange ROM with sense turned off. I prefer the more basic UI of vanilla android (personally) - but will go full-fat again when HTC releases 2.0 for the hero.

That's the beauty though: I like my hero with vanilla android, but there are also hundreds or thousands of people out there with the mytouch running sense.

I use taskiller. It's free and takes a nano-second to press the widget every now and then to kill unused apps.

Maybe the iPhone is the right phone for you. Who knows? As I said, I have had the 3g iPhone and liked it very much.

At the moment though, it's Hero all the way (although I prefer the look of the eris)

The iPhone is a masterpiece in many ways, but crucially, so is the marketing.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback and reply. I do not want to go down the Apple road if I can avoid it. I want to leave the WinMo software and now that the Android platform is becoming more mature, I am ready to jump.

So I am looking for some advice on Android phones to consider during the next 3-4 months that will not leave me disappointed due to poor performance (resulting from OS or under spec'd HW) as well as competitive with iphone from screen resolution and sleekness

Upvote 0
Well, from what the last couple of months have taught us if you sit tight and wait for 3-4 months, there will be another 5-10 devices out or announced.

HTC have said that they won't make an HD2 with Android on, as they'd like to stay friends with WinMo. However, I'm sure SOMEONE will stick android OS into a 1GHZ device pretty soon.

The only thing then is formfactor. Do you want it just like the iPhone, or with keyboard?

Hold on tight - your device will be just around the corner - trust me.

Upvote 0
I'm picking up the Motorola Droid tomorrow to replace my broken BlackBerry Storm. However, once the Sony Experia X10 comes out, I'm jumping on it right away. The specs are amazing and once its released, it will definaly be a front runner in the Android phone market. I'd watch for more information about that particular device- looks like it is going to be awesome!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones