• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New phone choices - help pls

The most important question:

who gets the better service in your area, and what are you planning to do with the phone?

Having both AT&T and Verizon I can tell you in the Bay Area, CA, ATT is better for streaming media to the phone over 3g while Verizon is probably best if you talk on the phone a lot.

On a side by side comparison, my Moto Droid was getting 5-600 Kbps average while my Captivate was getting 2.5-3 mbps download.

So as a person who uses the phone more for media/web browsing/texting rather than talking, AT&T is the best choice for me. But again, it all depends who gives you the best coverage. Price wise, ATT and Verizon as almost identical. One thing I do like about ATT services is roll over minutes which saves me a lot of money

Reactions: Costello522
Upvote 0
Definitely just go with whoever gives you the best service. I personally prefer GSM over CDMA. I like being able to just pop my sim card in and go, and if I need to switch between phones (sometimes I'll be doing something that I don't feel comfortable having my smartphone with me for) it's just as simple as that. CDMA people will say how all you have to do is call or use the website, but I still view it as a hassle. Also, do you frequently need to be on the phone while checking something else which requires the network? I don't need it that much but it would be nice to have when I do. Unfortunately it's not a possibility on CDMA unless you are connected to Wifi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones