New phone...error when powering on.Support

Last Updated:

1. Kabob

Kabob Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

We just swapped my wife's Fascinate it for a new one because it was buggy on her. Got the new phone in last night and all seemed to be going well. She used it until the battery was gone and plugged it in. Well, I just powered it on and got this:

[​IMG]

What now?

Advertisement
  2. GoBruins

GoBruins Well-Known Member

You just got it right? RETURN IT TO VERIZON!!! They should be like WTF and just swap you a new one.

Edit:

Tell you want a replacement for the same SF. Say you spoke to a customer rep on the phone and she said it was "DOA" (dead on arrival)

3. Kabob

Well, here's the full story. This phone is a replacement for her first Fascinate that was buggy. We had to have a Verizon store order it for us (that were out of stock) and we picked it last night. The only thing she's done is downloaded the update (is that what the error message is about?) and a few apps. No rooting (she wouldn't want to) or file updating of any sort.

Our 30 day period ended in Monday but since we have had this less than 12 hours do you think they'll swap it?

4. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Yeah wow that the recovery menu if you got that without intending to thats mess up. Just so we dont make a mountain out of a molehill; you weren't accidentally pressing in the volume button were you? Also if you choose the option reboot what happens?

5. Kabob

I tried pulling the battery and restarting several times...no luck. I get the error every time. Wasn't holding the volume buttons.

6. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Thats an exchange then for a defective unit :(

7. Kabob

Any idea what Verizon's policy in this situation (beyond 30 days but phone brand new) will be?

8. Kabob

Ok...so I'll be the first to admit that I'm an Android newbie but it's still kind sad. I didn't realize that screen I was getting was a selectable menu...

Reboot did no good nor did attempting to apply the update. The absolute last thing I wanted to do was a complete reset...so that left me with clearing the cache...and the phone boots up fine now.

Any idea what could have caused that issue? Is it something that could potentially give us grief in the future?

9. GoBruins

GoBruins Well-Known Member

You should just go to Verizon and tell them your issue. Bring your box with the shipping receipt/label that has the arrival date and you should be good. Tell them you only had one day of the phones use and now you have this faulty crap. Bring it up with the store manager if you need to. Lets hope they have the "customer is always right" mentality.

10. Kabob

I called the tech department at the Verizon store I got the replacement from. Explained what we did yesterday (downloaded update, installed apps, fiddled with till battery died, plugged in) and what was happening with the issues and how they appeared to clear up with the cache partition wipe. The tech sat there for a second and then said he has never heard of the Fascinate doing that, not a single report. So that's the second Fascinate in a row my wife has owned that's had a problem they'd never heard of.

Actually the phone shipped to said Verizon store (they suggested it, I didn't care) and they know me by now (and I have the receipt they gave me yesterday when I picked up the replacement). The phone is running although my wife said the first time she tried to use the music player and the phone locked up. She pulled the battery and it hasn't since but she said her old Fascinate never locked up when listening to tunes.

In the end I'm torn...she LOVES the Fascinate as do I...when it works. Mine hasn't give me any issues at all, not sure why her luck has been bad (although I suppose this one could be a simple one time memory glitch). You don't hear of people having this many issues (nor anything this big) with their Fascinates...but it's getting old. Part of me wants to give her my phone and swap hers out for a Droid X or something, but I'd really rather not.