new phone, or new laptop??

1. boyo1991

boyo1991 Well-Known Member

i currently own both products. currently, i own a gateway laptop, pretty darn old, AMD Athlon 64 running at 1.5 (?) GHz (or supposed to anyways, readings show 800MHz LOL) and 1.5 GBs RAM...

i also own the kyocerya rise from virgin mobile... ive dealt with a lot of phones and a lot of laptops, but here i cant decide...

the phone i plan on getting (if chosen):
    Virgin Mobile | HTC EVO V 4G No Contract Android-Powered Phone
    149$ at the time i would buy it..

and the laptop i plan on getting (if chosen):
    Asus KSeries 15.6" Laptop 4GB Memory 500GB Hard Drive K55A-HI5014L - Best Buy

449$ at time i would buy it...

so which do you think i should choose? heres what im all about:

im a techie.. i mean, i like games, theyre not the biggest thing to me, and ive played a lot of android games that i really like.. i like the laptop for the screen realestate, and the ability to do upgrades, but if i wanted, i could do a battery upgrade in the htc.. the laptop, i would only upgrade the HD and the RAM, the phone i could only upgrade the battery and the SD... either way i guess they kinda go hand in hand, but which should i get??:confused:

Advertisement
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

well what do you plan on using more? a phone should never replace a computer. if you need to communicate more then anything else then i would get a phone. for me i use my phone way more then i use my laptop. it is even more so with my tablet. i use that more then i use my laptop.

so it kind of depends. do you have a phone already? can you see yourself using it for awhile? i could never live with out my phone. to me they go hand in hand. but i do lots of things on my pc that i can't do on my tablet or phone.

so......................
  3. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Tablets are nice for quick on the go things that would normally take a laptop 5minutes to do because of boot time.

I know in use my Nexus 7 throughout the day instead of my phone for school work and checking this forum and other stuff. So now instead of looking at a smaller screen and draining my phone battery I use my tablets instead. :)
    ocnbrze likes this.
  4. AmneonX

AmneonX Well-Known Member

How about the phone AND a Nexus 7?
  5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Like what the people above says, it depends on what you need the laptop for, since there are a lot of things that you can do on laptops that tablets and phones cannot replace. If your current laptop can still do your stuff with no issue, I'd suggest a phone+tablet combo as well.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  6. Davdi

Davdi Well-Known Member

Or why not look for an ex-corporate laptop. In the UK they can be found from around
  7. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Haha that is what I have right now. It is great too, because I had an extended battery on my Gnex but now I hardly use it so I really don't have the need for it anymore :p
    ocnbrze likes this.
  8. AndroJar

AndroJar Member

It looks like you dont do anything that requires a laptop exclusively. Like I am a programmer also I use photoshop for photo editing. This things can not be done on a phone. If you dont do anything of such sort then go for a better phone . Maybe as Davdi suggested go for a used laptop and buy a good phone.
  9. bob60626

bob60626 Well-Known Member

Split the difference, tablet! Realistically I type about as fast as I Swype. :D
  10. grishamblake

grishamblake New Member

totally agree with that; the nexus 7 is legit and is a great companion to any phone
  11. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

New phone, or new laptop?? Different things, different uses, isn't it?

I'm going to the supermarket today. Should I buy a bottle of toilet cleaner, or should I buy bottle of dishwashing liquid? I can only afford one, however I've got a huge pile of dirty plates and my toilet stinks. ;)