new phone, or new laptop??

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by boyo1991, Jan 30, 2013.

1. boyo1991

boyo1991 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Male
    Claims adjuster
    the internet.
    i currently own both products. currently, i own a gateway laptop, pretty darn old, AMD Athlon 64 running at 1.5 (?) GHz (or supposed to anyways, readings show 800MHz LOL) and 1.5 GBs RAM...

i also own the kyocerya rise from virgin mobile... ive dealt with a lot of phones and a lot of laptops, but here i cant decide...

the phone i plan on getting (if chosen):
    Virgin Mobile | HTC EVO V 4G No Contract Android-Powered Phone
    149$ at the time i would buy it..

and the laptop i plan on getting (if chosen):
    Asus KSeries 15.6" Laptop 4GB Memory 500GB Hard Drive K55A-HI5014L - Best Buy

449$ at time i would buy it...

so which do you think i should choose? heres what im all about:

im a techie.. i mean, i like games, theyre not the biggest thing to me, and ive played a lot of android games that i really like.. i like the laptop for the screen realestate, and the ability to do upgrades, but if i wanted, i could do a battery upgrade in the htc.. the laptop, i would only upgrade the HD and the RAM, the phone i could only upgrade the battery and the SD... either way i guess they kinda go hand in hand, but which should i get??:thinking:

Advertisement
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    well what do you plan on using more? a phone should never replace a computer. if you need to communicate more then anything else then i would get a phone. for me i use my phone way more then i use my laptop. it is even more so with my tablet. i use that more then i use my laptop.

so it kind of depends. do you have a phone already? can you see yourself using it for awhile? i could never live with out my phone. to me they go hand in hand. but i do lots of things on my pc that i can't do on my tablet or phone.

so......................

3. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    Guide

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Tablets are nice for quick on the go things that would normally take a laptop 5minutes to do because of boot time.

I know in use my Nexus 7 throughout the day instead of my phone for school work and checking this forum and other stuff. So now instead of looking at a smaller screen and draining my phone battery I use my tablets instead. :)

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. AmneonX

AmneonX Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    http://www.androidwaypoint.com
    Michigan
    How about the phone AND a Nexus 7?

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    Guide

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Like what the people above says, it depends on what you need the laptop for, since there are a lot of things that you can do on laptops that tablets and phones cannot replace. If your current laptop can still do your stuff with no issue, I'd suggest a phone+tablet combo as well.

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. Davdi

Davdi Well-Known Member
    Contributor

Jul 4, 2012
    Looking for a Job
    The Shire
    Or why not look for an ex-corporate laptop. In the UK they can be found from around

7. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    Guide

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Haha that is what I have right now. It is great too, because I had an extended battery on my Gnex but now I hardly use it so I really don't have the need for it anymore :p

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. AndroJar

AndroJar Member

Jan 31, 2013
    It looks like you dont do anything that requires a laptop exclusively. Like I am a programmer also I use photoshop for photo editing. This things can not be done on a phone. If you dont do anything of such sort then go for a better phone . Maybe as Davdi suggested go for a used laptop and buy a good phone.

9. bob60626

bob60626 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Male
    Chicago
    Split the difference, tablet! Realistically I type about as fast as I Swype. :D

10. grishamblake

grishamblake New Member

Jan 31, 2013
    totally agree with that; the nexus 7 is legit and is a great companion to any phone

11. mikedt

mikedt 你好
    Guide

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    New phone, or new laptop?? Different things, different uses, isn't it?

I'm going to the supermarket today. Should I buy a bottle of toilet cleaner, or should I buy bottle of dishwashing liquid? I can only afford one, however I've got a huge pile of dirty plates and my toilet stinks. ;)