new phone, same SD card

Last Updated:

1. catigirl21

catigirl21 Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all! I couldn't find this anywhere else so I had to ask...

My daughter dunked my rooted HTC Hero so now it's been 86'ed :mad: I have a new one on the way (same make and model), but I'm curious...

1.) Given that the SD card still works, when my new Hero comes in, would I have to start all over on the rooting process or would it automatically be rooted when I stick the SD card from my original phone in the new one?

2.) When I do insert the original SD card into the new phone, will I need to flash the phone or anything?

Thanks in advance for all responses! :)

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

1) Yes, you'll be starting from scratch, unfortunately. The phone is the part that you root/put custom firmware on, not the SD card. However, your sd card will still be a goldcard (assuming you made one in the first place and haven't formatted since). It will also still have an apps2sd partition if you've made one.

2) Maybe. The phone will either come with an old 1.5 firmware or one of the new 2.1 firmwares, so you might have to upgrade to 2.1 again. If you want to stick a custom ROM on there then you'll definitely need to flash something.

catigirl21 likes this.
  3. catigirl21

I am pretty sure I didn't "goldcard" my SD card, and I didn't intentionally add any partitions either. Basically, I manually rooted my phone and started running it on Fresh 1.1. I know the new phone is coming with 2.1 installed already also.

Should I just delete everything from the SD card and start all over?

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Fresh 1.1? You're using a CDMA phone then, so I've moved your thread to the Sprint (CDMA) Hero section.

I don't know if the goldcard method is applicable to the CDMA Hero (I was talking about European GSM Heroes), but everything else I said still applies.

You don't need to wipe the SD card (unless you want a fresh start), but you will have to start from the beginning when it comes to rooting 2.1.

catigirl21 likes this.
  5. catigirl21

Yes, sorry, shoulda been more specific--it's the Sprint CDMA HTC Hero.

Thanks for all your help! You're a real life-saver :D

6. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Most of what Xyro says applies.

You will have to start from scratch (ignore the gold card part). This includes but is not limited to flashing a new ROM (unless you have a recent nandroid on the SD card).

catigirl21 likes this.