New Phone this week...

Last Updated:

1. Asmith1106

Asmith1106 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey Everyone,

Ok, so I'm a current Eris owner (rooted, only way to go)... Anyways, I'm due for an upgrade and trying to decide on a new phone to get this week, especially with Black Friday and everything... I've narrowed my decision down to this and the Fascinate.

I was just wondering what everyone thinks of their Droid 2... Biggest concerns are:
    -size... I feel like its a lot bigger than my Eris and wont totally fit in my pocket...

-The Keyboard... I hate the virtual keyboard on the Eris, however, every other phone i've owned with a physical keyboard (1 RAZR, 3 eNv's, and 2 eNv 2's) has had the keyboard go completely crazy and break...

Just wanted some feedback and help with my decision! I appreciate it!

Advertisement
  2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Well-Known Member

You sound like me almost word for word just a few months ago. Former eris user here too. That little POS (unrooted) was so bad it almost turned me off android completely. Then the droid x launched and I came close to jumping on that if it wasn't for the size. I was on the fence waiting for a good phone to come out so long I was getting splinters. Size was way too big, but I was so eager to jump from my eris to ANYTHING that I almost gave in. Then the month long backorder came. Right as I was about to buy it and be one of the many waiting a month to get it, the droid 2 came out.

Still on the fence. I wasn't looking for a keyboard in my next phone and just the idea of the extra thickness for something I might not use almost killed it for me. I didn't decide yet. The next time I happened to be by a verizon store and stopped in to play, the droid 2 was nothing like how I built it up in my head to be. It was responsive, had 2.2 preloaded, camera shot surprisingly decent pics and the keyboard I hated from droid 1 was actually usable! Sold.

This was a couple days after it came out. Ever since then no regrets. I'm a new phone every 6 months kinda guy. I'm never satisfied and I can always find something to nitpick about. But this time? I might actually keep the same phone for the length of the contract. Its fast (with launcher pro plus especially) and I would've never believed how often i'd use the keyboard. Especially passwords. As great as swype is, for lengthy things like what I'm typing right now, a real keyboard is best. For me anyway. No lag and you don't have to deal with any bs predictive inputs. You hit a key and you know you got it right

Other things: slimmer than you would think, gets best signal of any phone I've ever had, lotsa preloaded memory, also charges faster than any phone I've ever had. About an hour and a half

Samsung fascinate is a decent piece of hardware. Bing and lack of google nav would turn me off (even if you can hack your phone to get it. You shouldn't have to!) Fascinate also has gps fix issues, bad cell radio and is still on 2.1. Samsung is the slowest of the bunch to update firmware while motorola is always the first. Droid 1 even got 2.2

3. Asmith1106

Asmith1106 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How's the battery life? I'm assuming your unrooted.
    I would love for this phone to easily last through a day with regular usage!

4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Well-Known Member

Pretty good. Depends on how you use it. I'm usually a heavy user, so I carry a spare battery with me, but last week I had to work a lot and put it more towards "regular use" and by the end of the day I was only down to 40%. My regular use: about an hour of browsing on 3g, 20 texts, couple emails, couple youtube videos and a little pandora.

If we're talking on it's own, it's a pretty good phone for battery life. If we're talking in relation to droid eris, this phone must have a nuclear power plant built inside of it because it allocates usage way better than eris. I'd still suggest a spare battery so you're never caught without juice, but if you decided not to you'd be just fine too. Hope all that made sense