1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

New phone, what about the apps?

Last Updated:

1. smudge

smudge Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there guys n gals :D

On my 2nd Android phone now, as i've just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S from my previous HTC Hero

Love the Galaxy S to bits, but was wondering what i do about some of the old apps on my old phone? Like World War for example, is there anyway of continuing the account on the new phone? Or do i have to start a new game?

Also, the HTC had a really good weather widget where it used to auto update with weather about the location you were currently at. I think it was a HTC thing, as i can't find anything that does the same as this for the Samsung, you can only store certain locations which is pants!! Anyone help me on this?

All help appreciated :)

Smudge :)

Advertisement
  2. muab

muab Well-Known Member

As long as you are using the same Gmail account for both phones most of your Apps should reload on the new phone automatically.

I use Appbrain to log and backup all my Apps and I recommend that for everyone.

There are a number of weather and news widgets that do exactly what you are describing although they may look or behave somewhat different than what you had.

I know that search functions in the market are dumb (and this is related to Google? WTF?) but searching for "weather" will bring up a ton of Apps.

Also, look for the thread in this sub-forum about "favorite apps" there are a ton of weather widgets described therein, many of which have screen shots.

Good luck.

3. Baggy

Baggy Well-Known Member

world war? the games from storm8
    There is a way of transferring your WW account to a new phone with the app it's self

edit
    just looked its in settings of the app under 'storm8' mine says transferring to another iphone or ipod???
    which is weird cos its on my Desire :confused:

4. smudge

I've tried about 4 or 5 different ones now, and none of them auto update to my location like the HTC one used to

Would i not be able to extract the HTC file and put it on the Samsung at all?

5. muab

muab Well-Known Member

Yes, if you have your old phone and particularly if the old widget was stored on the SD card you should be able to move it.

I believe widgets like Apps are APK files...if you can find the right file it should execute just fine as I understand it.

I know a number of Apps for moving and executing files if you need that help.

Cheers

6. smudge

Any chance of sending me some links to the apps bud?

I'm just not sure if i can use the HTC apps/widgets on the Samsung...only 1 way to tell i suppose

7. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

You cannot run HTC widgets on Samsung as they are generally not available.

You can install Launcher Pro Plus for example and use its HTC-like widgets.

8. smudge

Damn :(

Cheers

9. smudge

It's really bugging me now

All i want on the Samsung is a full page widget for my mail like i had for the HTC

Does anyone know of any apps that do this or anyway to make the Galaxy S do this?