• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New phone wont read SIM card

I just bought a Sony Experia X10 and am trying to use it for the first time. I put in my SIM card and the phone went through the start up but it will not recognize that there is even a SIM card inserted. I used a friends SIM card and it didnt recognize that one either. I read something somewhere about having to shut of a task manager?? or something like that first.
This is a used phone that worked just fine prior to me. What am I doing wrong??

I just bought a Sony Experia X10 and am trying to use it for the first time. I put in my SIM card and the phone went through the start up but it will not recognize that there is even a SIM card inserted. I used a friends SIM card and it didnt recognize that one either. I read something somewhere about having to shut of a task manager?? or something like that first.
This is a used phone that worked just fine prior to me. What am I doing wrong??

Are you are the same cell provider as the previous owner?

What you want to do after you stick in the SIM and start it up is the following:

Menu button->Settings->Wireless and Network->Mobile
Under Network mode, it should be WCDMA preferred (or it is for me)
Under Access Point name is there anything? (if not then MMS/txt/3G data won't work...but worry about that after)
Under Network Operators, you set what cell provider you want to connect to (might be set to manual, or might not know who to connect to) That is where you need to set the provider

Back under the Settings if the first option is, Sony Ericsson, go in there chose Setting Download, that will download the MMS/data/3G settings from your provider.

Hope that does something to help you.

Oh...one last thing, under Settings->About Phone (at the bottom) Status will show you if you are connected and all the connection stats to your provider.

If it doesn't work...who is your provider and who was the previous owner using?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones