• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Phones for This Summer

Wifi Router - as long as there's not an added charge like some are reporting, this will be very handy for long weekends camping... lol

There will definitely be a charge for the wifi router feature as sprint likes to charge for that now. Maybe someone at xda will figure a way around it.

What I'm more worried about is that Sprint will tie this phone to a more expensive 4g data plan. This is a distinct possibility seeing as sprint had no comment on plan pricing. If that's the case, I'd rather a Nexus.

Upvote 0
man you guys don't pay attention much do you... hesse said there will be NO 4g charge, the evo will work on all current everything data plans, including the family plans and have UNLIMITED 4g at no extra cost. the MiFi ability is also free of charge.

There has been no official plan pricing statements from all of the sprint press material I have read. I'm not saying that the 4g won't be free; just that given the capitalistic nature of all of these phone companies, there is a high probability that there will be a charge. And where did you see that MiFi will be free? Doesn't sprint charge $15 for tethering now? I find this hard to believe but hey, I'm all for it.

Upvote 0
they charge 15 for tethering to 3g cause if lags their service drastically on 3g so they wanna limit it. they are trying to show people that this is what 4g is meant for, mass data transfering.

dan hesse said in his keynote the day after the evo was announced that these plans would work with no extra charge for unlimited 4g, there are videos of it on youtube
Heck, I only have 3G at home cuz of the airave device sprint gave me. I sure hope it works for the EVO. Lets see, when did the Moment come out? I have a little over one year from that for my yearly phone upgrade. Seems to me that about applies to everyone upgrading from Moment??? Of course, there's always the retention route (I'll take my $200/month account elsewhere if you don't make me happy) Of course there isn't any elsewhere considering no one else has a signal at my home. Sprint didn't have much of one before they gave me the Airave.
I think I'd have to wait for a model that has a hardware keyboard. I've sure fallen in love with my Moment's.

Upvote 0
not to totally derail the subject, but how does the premiere account yearly phone thing work anyway? is it just $150 off the retail non-contract price? Some of these smartphones are $600 without a contract, so that's still a lot of dough to upgrade if so.

Looks like you just figured out Sprint's cunning plan behind the premiere accounts.

Upvote 0
Looks like you just figured out Sprint's cunning plan behind the premiere accounts.

Bleh. I was hoping someone would tell me I was wrong.

Has anyone noticed if the retail price goes down as the signup price goes down on newer phones then? I don't remember what the Moment originally was listed at when it was first introduced, right now it's about $480 retail on sprint's site. Just wondering since it looks like it'll be a few months between when the Evo hits the market and I'll be eligible for the one-year premiere new phone plan, maybe the price will drop a little.

Upvote 0
The good thing about premier is it gives you a discount on a new device while your current device is still current and has value. The combination of $150 + the sale of your Moment should go a long way towards covering the price of an Evo. After the usual 2 year upgrade, your old device (Moment) is no longer current and drops precipitously in value.

Upvote 0
The good thing about premier is it gives you a discount on a new device while your current device is still current and has value. The combination of $150 + the sale of your Moment should go a long way towards covering the price of an Evo. After the usual 2 year upgrade, your old device (Moment) is no longer current and drops precipitously in value.

I don't think I'll be able to get more than about $50 for the Moment come November... Especially since everyone else who got theirs at release will also be flooding the market with them (the ones who want to switch to something else, anyway)

Upvote 0
I don't think I'll be able to get more than about $50 for the Moment come November... Especially since everyone else who got theirs at release will also be flooding the market with them (the ones who want to switch to something else, anyway)

You know I was thinking about just that on my drive home from dinner a while ago... right now the moment is $99 with contract, so I wonder if anyone will be willing to pay much for it by the time I put mine on ebay... I guess we'll find out lol.

Upvote 0

You might be surprised. I got $160 for my moderate condition TP and that was long after the TP2 had replaced it. It's a total guess at this point, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Moment in good condition with a clear esn was getting more than $200 on ebay come October-November. I highly doubt there will be a flood of sellers, not everyone is a premier customer and most people hang on to phones longer than a year anyway. Either way, it'll be 7 months till we find out, but I wish you luck!

Upvote 0
You know I was thinking about just that on my drive home from dinner a while ago... right now the moment is $99 with contract, so I wonder if anyone will be willing to pay much for it by the time I put mine on ebay... I guess we'll find out lol.

The $99 is a 2yr contract price. There seems to be a market for relatively recent phones by people who can't or won't sign a contract. Every time I've sold a phone on ebay, it's for way more than I think it is worth. I don't understand it, but if it works.....

Upvote 0
The $99 is a 2yr contract price. There seems to be a market for relatively recent phones by people who can't or won't sign a contract. Every time I've sold a phone on ebay, it's for way more than I think it is worth. I don't understand it, but if it works.....

Well hell, maybe I'll just put the Moment up for auction with a reserve when the Evo comes out and see if someone bites. if I can sell it for around 150, that's the same as sprint giving me their discount.

Edit: depending on whether the 2.1 update fixes my issues with the moment, of course :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones