• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

new phones? interesting...

kraze0g

Android Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Found this in the verizon forum under the thread about any new verizon phones coming out with android and this person claims he works in some fashion with verizon...

Originally Posted by FatedDistress
There is NOTHING coming out on January 10th, but there are a few phones coming out before then. Reason why I said the 10th is because it's 3 days before you have to give your phone back.

As far as I know Incredible is the same as the Passion, I will talk to our HTC rep on Tuesday and see what he says about it.

Motorola Calgary, LG Eve (both Android Phones) and Palm Pre SHOULD be released before January 10th.

Apple is also due to release a phone and a tablet PC with Verizon in 2010 but dates are unconfirmed. It is confirmed that they already have a working prototype of the Apple device but dates are all unconfirmed.

I have no specifics about other phones but will get back to you guys as soon as I find out more from the Reps of HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG.

htc incredible? anyone heard anything about this?

sounds like someone just lashing out. we'll see who's right on the 10th don't get too bent over it. if htc has an update then we'll get an update. if it's 2.0 great if it's just a patch then i hope the phone works better for you.

I am hearing the new OS is to drop on January 17th. I know--don't hold my breath. The source I read did not know if it will be 2.0 or 2.1 just that it IS coming. Take it for what it is worth...

Upvote 0
Wow, where do I start... First and most important it never felt good. It was too square. Too heavy. And the slider was like an after-thought. With the keys splayed to the left of center like that I never could type on the thing. So use the virtual keyboard right? The keys touch each other. My fat thumbs were always hitting the wrong key. I tried other keyboards and they all lagged badly. At least the Eris keyboard has slight gaps between the keys.

One MAJOR issue was the lack of dedicated phone start and end keys. Oh, and having to push that button at the top of the phone to wake it up took two hands. Dumb. Just push the end key with your thumb on the Eris to do the same thing.

My other issues were minor. The jump between home screens was really jittery. Almost halty. Not fluid like the Eris. Also the email "push" only pushed for the first two days. After that I had to manually update my inbox.

Truth be told--in the end--the Eris just feels better in my hands.

I will add this: The Droid is a great little computer. But it was a crappy phone. Although I love smart-phones I need a phone first.

Upvote 0
Wow, where do I start... First and most important it never felt good. It was too square. Too heavy. And the slider was like an after-thought. With the keys splayed to the left of center like that I never could type on the thing. So use the virtual keyboard right? The keys touch each other. My fat thumbs were always hitting the wrong key. I tried other keyboards and they all lagged badly. At least the Eris keyboard has slight gaps between the keys.

One MAJOR issue was the lack of dedicated phone start and end keys. Oh, and having to push that button at the top of the phone to wake it up took two hands. Dumb. Just push the end key with your thumb on the Eris to do the same thing.

My other issues were minor. The jump between home screens was really jittery. Almost halty. Not fluid like the Eris. Also the email "push" only pushed for the first two days. After that I had to manually update my inbox.

Truth be told--in the end--the Eris just feels better in my hands.

I will add this: The Droid is a great little computer. But it was a crappy phone. Although I love smart-phones I need a phone first.

I'm with you there, and I'm sending my 2nd Droid back tomorrow and getting the Eris.

I chose the Droid for the voice navigation, bigger screen, 2.0 OS, the fact that it's supposedly getting flash, and the 16 Gig SD card. I was told it's the only Android phone that is flash capable. ???

The bottom line is that the phone by itself isn't even as good as my cheap Motorola flip phone, which I'd probably still be using if it would hold a charge. I had 3 dropped calls last night and two today when I called customer service!

I'll get used to the Eris being smaller and I don't need a physical keyboard anyway. The 8GB card should be plenty. I can do without flash because I still have my desktop PC and the YouTube app, I don't use Wifi, and Google Maps should be enough for navigation. I'm hoping the OS is updated to at least 2.0 because I use the browser quite a bit.

I keep having to turn the Droid off and replace the battery. Too many things are wrong with it. Who wants to be stuck with a faulty phone for two years?

Good luck with your Eris. :)

Upvote 0
I can do without flash because I still have my desktop PC and the

the eris is even more compatible with flash than the droid. the droid i hear does 0 flash, while the eris already has a 'flash lite' version sitting on it so you can see some stuff. adobe is already releasing flash for the another htc phone so i cant imagine why the eris wouldnt get the full.

also, it definitely is hitting OS 2.0 Q1 2010, the question is if it'll be 2.1 i think. itll be interesting to see how they get senseUI to be good with OS2.0 which is one of the main reasons i have it

Upvote 0
the eris is even more compatible with flash than the droid. the droid i hear does 0 flash, while the eris already has a 'flash lite' version sitting on it so you can see some stuff. adobe is already releasing flash for the another htc phone so i cant imagine why the eris wouldnt get the full.

also, it definitely is hitting OS 2.0 Q1 2010, the question is if it'll be 2.1 i think. itll be interesting to see how they get senseUI to be good with OS2.0 which is one of the main reasons i have it

Okay, thanks for the info. I could watch YouTube videos with the Droid but they froze in midstream most of the time. I thought both phones had flash lite but now I know that I won't be missing anything by giving up the Droid. :)

Upvote 0
I was waiting for the iPhone to come to Verizon... Until I got the Eris ;)

Didin't like the form factor of the Droid, so if something even better comes out (and is still similar to the Eris) before my holiday return date, I may switch. If not, I guess I'll just have to wait 2 years and get the HTC iDroid phone :D

Upvote 0
I'm with you there, and I'm sending my 2nd Droid back tomorrow and getting the Eris.

I chose the Droid for the voice navigation, bigger screen, 2.0 OS, the fact that it's supposedly getting flash, and the 16 Gig SD card. I was told it's the only Android phone that is flash capable. ???

The bottom line is that the phone by itself isn't even as good as my cheap Motorola flip phone, which I'd probably still be using if it would hold a charge. I had 3 dropped calls last night and two today when I called customer service!

I'll get used to the Eris being smaller and I don't need a physical keyboard anyway. The 8GB card should be plenty. I can do without flash because I still have my desktop PC and the YouTube app, I don't use Wifi, and Google Maps should be enough for navigation. I'm hoping the OS is updated to at least 2.0 because I use the browser quite a bit.

I keep having to turn the Droid off and replace the battery. Too many things are wrong with it. Who wants to be stuck with a faulty phone for two years?

Good luck with your Eris. :)

See if the Verizon rep will allow you to keep your 16gb sd card when you switch to the Eris. I explained to the rep (who was young) that all of my info was saved on that card. Not a problem, let me keep it without even questioning it.

Upvote 0
I was waiting for the iPhone to come to Verizon... Until I got the Eris ;)

Didin't like the form factor of the Droid, so if something even better comes out (and is still similar to the Eris) before my holiday return date, I may switch. If not, I guess I'll just have to wait 2 years and get the HTC iDroid phone :D

good idea, the eris is just too damn sexy to return for a brick of a phone. i just gotta convince myself that there is no 'perfect android phone' (yet) because both phones have their downfalls. but the eris is just too nice (and the future holds many reasons to keep it also - better battery. new OS.)

Upvote 0
See if the Verizon rep will allow you to keep your 16gb sd card when you switch to the Eris. I explained to the rep (who was young) that all of my info was saved on that card. Not a problem, let me keep it without even questioning it.

That's a good idea but I can't keep the card. I ordered my Droid from Wirefly and if I don't return everything, I won't get a refund. That contract will be terminated without a fee as I'm still under the 30 day trial. I've ordered the Eris with a different phone number and I'm hoping I can still port my current number over after Wirefly receives the Droid. Fortunately, I haven't saved anything on the SD card that I really need. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones