• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New photos "damaged, corrupted, or is too large".

I recently moved my SD card from a Motorola X to a Motorola X2. New pictures and video taken are getting an error message stating, "Wndows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because the file appears to be damaged, corrupted, or is too large", when opening either after being downloaded or opened directly from the SD card. The images and video taken are fine when view on the devise itself; sharp and clear. I've taken the files to other computers with the same result (XP and Windows7). I've also attempted to open the pictures with other programs: Photoshop and GIMP2. All my pictures from my old phone download and display just fine on the PC.

How can I get my pictures off my phone? Why are they getting this error? HELP!

I recently moved my SD card from a Motorola X to a Motorola X2. New pictures and video taken are getting an error message stating, "Wndows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because the file appears to be damaged, corrupted, or is too large", when opening either after being downloaded or opened directly from the SD card. The images and video taken are fine when view on the devise itself; sharp and clear. I've taken the files to other computers with the same result (XP and Windows7). I've also attempted to open the pictures with other programs: Photoshop and GIMP2. All my pictures from my old phone download and display just fine on the PC.

How can I get my pictures off my phone? Why are they getting this error? HELP!

I don't know, new to me. Have you just viewed them in your gallery and shared them with something like Google Drive or whatever is most handy for you?

Upvote 0
There could be an issue with your SD card. Backing up to the cloud as Scur suggested would be a great idea, followed by reformatting the card and seeing if that works.

If you don't have cloud service I would try using a file explorer on the phone and copy the pictures from the SD card to the phone itself. You should then be able to plug your phone in, navigate to the folder on the phone and try to copy the files from there. If that works I would then back up anything else you want from the SD card to your PC and reformat your SD card on your PC. Then try copying the files back to your card and see if the phone or PC will read them now.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the comments. Other forums (not the exact situation, but close) suggested issues with the SD card. I did not believe it to be the case as nothing else other than the photos are being affected.

I reformatted the SD card and put back the backed up photos. Bad photos off, bad photos on. And again, newly captured images have the same issue. There must be something about how it is taking and storing the pics. I've never had issues with jpg's before. I even turned off the auto location tagging. No tags at all. I even then turned the resolution down to 1 mp. No change. I cannot see any other settings I can fiddle with.

I have found a work-around. Not a good one however. I can text myself pics and save them to the SD card. These jpg's are fine when copied to the PC, but with a major loss of resolution. This is not something I can abide by even if I found an editing app that could re-save the jpg's, that would be a pain in the butt to do every time.

Any other ideas. Bad phone?
-----
Well, that gave me the idea to try a new camera app off the Market to see if the software made difference. Saddly, the same result. I am a complete loss.

Upvote 0
Milestone X2.

Yes, I tried Picasa. Same Result.

Thanks for the ideas. I contacted Motorola directly. They were not much help, apart from confirming my second to last resort (the last being turning it in on its warrenty). I hit the reset to factory button.

THIS DID WORK. However, I do NOT think it was the solution. As I was reloading apps and adjusting the settings to my preference, I came across the encryption options. I remembered that on my previous device, I did not set any encryption on the internal or SD card, but when I got the new X2 I DID set to encrypt internal and SD. Although I have not tested the theory (and do not really want to), this could be the smoking gun. Having encryption for the internal and SD card on, I suspect was not allowing an external device (PC in this case) to view data, as it is supposed to. Now, how one deals with data on the phone device and gets it off is another subject. Does one have to decrypt the entire SD card to do so??

If any of you folks come across this or this happens to you, did you turn on encryption? If so, this may be a reason you cannot get your data off your phone. Just a theory at this point, but worth exploring before you reset your phone.

I'd like to hear if someone tests this.

Reactions: coolpoete
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones