1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

New Play Store cures Google Play Services battery drainTips

1. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

Up until last week I have, in common with a lot of users, been plagued by a huge battery drain, around 30+%, caused by the Google Play Services app.

However, since installing the latest version of the Google Play Store, 4.3.10, I am happy to report that my Google Play Services wakelocks, (NlpCollectorWakeLock & NlpWakeLock), have been greatly reduced, around 4 or 5%, and thus resulting in my battery drain returning to normal. This is a bonus for the Google Play Store 4.3.10 which also brings some new features, as described, here.

To check your version of Play Store, go to... Play Store > Menu > Settings > Build version.

Google Services on stock battery

[​IMG]

NlpWakeLocks on stock battery

[​IMG]

Advertisement
    DrOctagon likes this.
  2. speedlever

speedlever Well-Known Member

While my battery drain is acceptable, Google Services is oftentimes the single largest drain on my phone even with the latest Google Play app (4.3.10).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. smitty543

smitty543 Well-Known Member

Same Here; Google Services seems to be a power hog. What else is involved with it; how can it be improved upon?
  4. ironass

Location reporting is one of the biggest factors in causing the drain. I do not use Google+ or Facebook, etc; and in Google Maps I have always turned off Location Reporting and Location History in Settings.

You can also try going to...

Settings > More > Application Manager > Downloaded > Google Play services

and clear cache, clear data and uninstall updates. This will revert you back to the factory installed version.
    Petrah likes this.
  5. Asphaltcowboy

Asphaltcowboy Active Member

Mine is still on 4.1.6 and there has been four updates since that one. Why isn't my play store updating?
  6. RiverCity.45

RiverCity.45 Member

I don't know why Google Play isn't updating. I was also on 4.1.6. Successfully downloaded and installed the 4.3.10 version.

Google Services is a known power hog, and there are simple changes you can make in the settings on your phone to reduce its drain on the battery. See: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2357417
  7. marine one

marine one Well-Known Member

On 4.1.6 as well and see no obvious way to update to 4.3
  8. B2L

B2L Well-Known Member

Over the past few days I've had some major battery drain from Google Services. I'm guessing it started when my Play Store updated. I just turned off location reporting and history on Maps, so hopefully this helps. I've been extremely disappointed with my battery life the past few days.
  9. ironass

You would need to download the new Google Play Store 4.3.10, (com.android.vending-4.3.10.apk), from a safe and reliable source, bearing in mind the Android Master Key exploit, and install it by going to the downloaded .apk with a File Manager and selecting it. This auto installs the new Play Store and replaces the old one.
  10. Tigrisan

Tigrisan Member

I have 4.3.11 and am still seeing almost half of my battery drain caused by Google Play Services. That coupled with the fact that now, my WiFi is scanning almost constantly, even when connected, and I'm getting completely frustrated! This is ridiculous and the worst part is, it's been reported on the Google Android forums repeatedly and all Google's moderators tell everyone is do a hard reset which does nothing for the problem.
  11. brbrem

brbrem Member

Same problem here.
  12. jamsterdm

jamsterdm Well-Known Member

13. Nick33

Nick33 Well-Known Member

Asphalt, when you go into the play store, check to see if you have automatic updating checked. Tap the menu key and you should see it in there. Maybe that's the reason?
    Do other things update?
  14. icedtea

icedtea Well-Known Member

do you have the link to share? for the users to be synced. . .