• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [New Release] HTC Sense Transparent BG LockScreen

droidkevlar

Android Expert
Jan 28, 2010
I did not create this but found it and thought you guys might like it. This is for the STOCK HTC Lock screen only

[New Release] HTC Sense Transparent LockScreen - xda-developers

PS. Someone in the comments said this could be done to work with other ROM's like Sense, just has to be changed. I dont know how so I cant help there, sorry

PSS. As always, do a NAND before applying anything and I am not responsible if doing this makes your wife/gf leave you. :p

droidkevlar, you beat me here! :). Below I've pasted the thread I made at XDA.
Note: This is not the same as TheProfessional's release. This removes the BACKGROUND, not the Arc. Though instructions to do so are listed below.

-------
Updated 4/16: See below
ROOT REQUIRED

Originally created by JsChiSurf over at the XDA Hero forums via my encouragement :) This version is made for the Eris, it is not the same as the Hero version (which doesn't work properly for us).

This is a modification of the STOCK HTC Sense lockscreen that removes the background so you can see your homescreen behind it. Anyone who knows how to use adb can push this apk into 'system/app' and you'll get the result as shown in the attached picture. (Always nand backup first)

**Before** pushing the apk into that folder, you'll need to FIRST perform the following steps to remove the stock lock wallpapers from loading, as well as any cached custom wallpaper you have applied. You can perform these via adb as listed, or if you have Root Explorer (on the marketplace), you can navigate to the folders listed and delete the items that way.

Code:
adb remount
adb shell
cd /data/misc/lockscreen
rm *

cd /system/customize/resource
rm htc_wallpaper*

exit
Note: You may or may not have anything to delete in /system/customize/resource, so if you get an error message while using adb, don't worry.

HtcLockScreen.apk MD5: 27615B7667896014B75196BA7F2E9B6A

EDIT: Clock-less version now available for download! Same instructions apply, but read the below info

Since this forum doesn't allow zip file uploads of any useful size, the clock-less version is called 'HtcLockScreen2.apk' below. BE SURE TO RENAME IT back to 'HtcLockScreen.apk' (case sensitive)
Clock-less Info: **Since some users may have performed the 'experienced users' steps below, an Android image has been added to 'lockscreen_topedge.png' so that it isn't 100% transparent.
If you want to remove this image: First, download the ZIP below with the PNGs, take any one of those and rename it to 'lockscreen_topedge.png, open the lock apk in your favorite zip file manager (winzip, winrar, 7-zip), navigate to "res\drawable-normal-mdpi" and drag your newly-renamed PNG in there. If a dialog pops up, be sure you select the option that has NO compression, this is usually called "Store."** Make a post if you have any problems NOT related to 'adb' Again, support is not provided for that.

HtcLockScreen2.apk MD5: 841E31BD3982E45CA28D4B6ABEB65BFB

If you put the PNGs included in the zip below into 'com.htc.resources.apk\res\drawable-mdpi', it will remove the HTC "Arc" on the lockscreen. Now, to create your own Arc replacement, all you'll need to do is go into 'HtcLockScreen.apk\res\drawable-normal-mdpi' and change the lockscreen_topedge.png to your liking :) A much easier change than fiddling with your resources apk everytime and its only 1 image to change, instead of trying to line up three. Of course, if you remove the Arc and do not change your lockscreen_topedge.png, you will have a completely invisible lockscreen, so don't freak yourself out, just make something for that PNG.

Attachments

• PNGs for resources APK.zip
    689 bytes · Views: 115
  • HtcLockScreen.apk
    359.6 KB · Views: 133
  • HtcLockScreen2.apk
    368.6 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 0
you sure did. and i saw it right after i clicked submit (of course). i guess i just wasn't expecting someone to make the effort to post it like you did. wish i could delete the post, but naturally that isnt allowed :(

No worries. Ill msg a MOD to delete my post since you the one that posted it on XDA and you gave more info instead of the link I did.

Upvote 0
So i was running one of Ivan's earlier roms and just switched to his latest rom. I've had no adb problems before. I get to trying to push the .apk and it tells me adb: not found. Any ideas? Like i said, no problems before. Have updated drivers. adb shell gives me # . But I can't push.
'adb not found' isn't a ROM issue. its something on your computer. be sure youre in the sdk\tools directory in command prompt/terminal before you try to use adb

So...
What would happen if I did this after running the "remove lockscreen arc"? Would I have a TRULY transparent lockscreen? Or did I misunderstand what this one does, and it gets rid of the arc too?
The apk itself removes only the background and leaves the graphics for the Arc alone. These graphics are located in com.htc.resources.apk, which is what TheProfessional's release changes. So if you installed his, then installed this, you would have a completely clear lock. Though my release leaves the clock (I'm working on getting a clockless version) so that would be hard to read without an Arc or anything. You'd want to follow my instructions to create your own lockscreen_topedge.png, so you'd have something behind the clock, or wait until the clockless release (hopefully in a day or two) ;)

Reactions: TheAtheistReverend
Upvote 0
'adb not found' isn't a ROM issue. its something on your computer. be sure youre in the sdk\tools directory in command prompt/terminal before you try to use adb

The apk itself removes only the background and leaves the graphics for the Arc alone. These graphics are located in com.htc.resources.apk, which is what TheProfessional's release changes. So if you installed his, then installed this, you would have a completely clear lock. Though my release leaves the clock (I'm working on getting a clockless version) so that would be hard to read without an Arc or anything. You'd want to follow my instructions to create your own lockscreen_topedge.png, so you'd have something behind the clock, or wait until the clockless release (hopefully in a day or two) ;)
Can't wait!!!

Upvote 0
For those using

DE-ODEX'D ROMS like EvilEris and the De-Odex'd Ivan's Eris_Official 1.1 / De-Odex'd Ivan's Eris_Official 1.0

you will need to have a classes.dex in the .APK file.

I took and modified the file of the wonderful creator of this clear background lockscreen, and put a classes.dex.

Thank you gohamstergo for releasing this, you're the man!

NOTE:

ONLY USE THIS IF YOU HAVE A DE-ODEX'D ROM!

For those who the lockscreen at the original post DOESN'T work (attn: evil eris users) Try this one:
(I uploaded it in depositfiles as well as this post

Deposit Files

Obviously, rename this file to HtcLockScreen.apk as you push it.

Same instructions as at the top, just use THIS file instead of the original one. Posted on depositfiles, and uploaded here.

Attachments

• DEODEXHtcLockScreen.apk
    398.5 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones