New ROMS not so good....

Last Updated:

1. Ibanez540r

Ibanez540r Active Member This Topic's Starter

So, i don't know what the deal is, but I had been running ADAMZ smoked glass rom since early March and my phone ran flawlessly. After all the ESE updates and new and improved stuff coming out I figured I was way outdated and everyones responses to the newer ROMS sounded damn good. A few weeks ago I switched... I have since been jumping ROMS, and no offense, they all seem to suck bad. Laggy, force closes, reboots, I've never disliked my phone like I have since switching. And it's not picking on one developer. I've done Cyan, BB, all the variations, etc.

I'm tempted to go back to "Old Technology" to have a phone I can live with.

And yes, I always do data/cache wipes.

Advertisement
  2. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

The 2.2 roms require getting everything just right. I found out it's more my fault. If I leave it as it came, it runs good and stable, but if I change the kernal, or theme anything, i get FC's, freezes, and reboots.

3. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

A lot of stability issues could be related to the kernel you chose to use. I have had no stability issues with 2.2 ROMs.

You also need to keep in mind that FRF57 is an internal build at Motorola, not a final release like ESE81 was.

4. jnngill

jnngill Well-Known Member

Did you try any of the overclocked kernels. The newer ROMs due tend to lag running at the stock 550.

5. jimmydickens

jimmydickens Member

but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

My forecast: it will be this way until the the ROMs are built from source.

6. Ibanez540r

Ibanez540r Active Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah I tried several Kernals with each ROM, not much difference. Suprisingly ADAMZ was ESE53, and I'm actually flashing back right now... I was happy and used my phone for everything. Since, I'm hesitant cause I know it's going to freeze, or crash. I'll wait until things are more stable...

7. nstallion

Well ESE53 was still a final release, but then there was that whole fiasco with the company contracted to distribute the OTA that delayed everything and they had some extra time to revise the release and thus we got ESE81.

FRF57 is an internal build at motorola, pretty much an alpha. In fact I'm shocked that it runs as well as it does.

8. mrthundercleese

mrthundercleese Well-Known Member

Psssst. Cyanogen and Sapphire are both built from source. I think there is another but I'm too lazy to track it down hahaha.

9. nstallion

They are, but they are built from 2.1 source. Google has not release AOSP 2.2 code yet.

10. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

I can certainly understand the frustration that a user may have trying to get the right ROM that just works right on their phone and has the theme style that suits them. I think a lot of the issues seen appear to be caused by the variations seen in the hardware itself... what works good on one phone may not work well on another. This was also an issue with the earlier releases as well but appears to be a bit worse on the FROYO releases ... I suspect a lot of that is because the dev's don't have access to the source release yet and are having to work from a leaked version of the rom.

We should all take into account that these are all using a "pre-released" version that hasn't had any time to mature into a stable state. Users that install these "alpha", "beta" or whatever you may wish to call them should understand that there are bound to be issues. If they can't accept that fact, then they should wait for the official release of the source code an wait for the dev's to work out any "bugs" that may be found with their version they create/mod.

Having got out the obvious "disclaimer" about using a pre-release rom... here are some suggestions.

You mentioned trying Cyan's ( CyanogenMod I assume ) rom... there is no FROYO based CM rom as far as I know yet, I heard that they were going to wait for the source to became available first before they release a mod on that version.

I won't suggest a particular rom for you to try since each phone will behave different. I will however mention that which theme you select can also affect how a particular rom works on your phone. An excellent example of this, on Bugless Beast, if you don't have a theme on it... MotoTorch v2.8 works... when I tried different themes, it broke MT from working on all but one theme that I applied.

I have noticed that it appears that with FROYO builds, it works best after a reboot or two. Before you perform the reboots... let the phone finish re-installing your apps first ( can take a while if you have very many apps, I've got about 184 and it takes about 45m to an hour on my phone to reload from a fresh wiped install ).

Try a variety of different kernels. In addition to the dev's mod on the current leaked release... you should try several different kernels from the different kernel dev's on each "brand" of rom that you try. Remember that you are trying to find the right combination that works on YOUR hardware... you can use other peoples reports as a guide but until you try it on your own phone you won't know if it works properly or not.

Also remember when trying different kernels to also make certain to try the various different speeds and voltage combinations... Don't rely on just getting one of the devs kernels and then OC just that one kernal. Some dev's produce standard, low and ultra low voltage kernels as well as some use mixed voltages ( such as low voltage for the slower speeds and standard voltage for higher speeds ). As an example... on FROYO, I was seeing stable results with Chevy1's low voltage 1000, 1200 and 1250 releases... but not with the 1100.... His ultra low voltage kernels didn't seem to be as stable on my phone but I've seen a lot of users that could run what my phone didn't care for.

Try different launchers. On my phone, it seems that LauncherPro is working the best but I've seen a ton of users praising ADW.Launcher as well. There are also some that are known to not work properly with any FROYO release as well. So if you haven't tried different launchers yet... make this another area to test with.

Another area not mentioned very much... which application or widgets you have installed can also affect stability. If an app or widget loads on startup it can and will affect what you see on a rom. So if you've tried the various roms, themes, kernels and launchers and you are still having issues... it may be that the problem is caused by an app or widget that is starting up on your phone.

Conclusion... When trying to diagnose what the cause of the problems you may be seeing... suspect everything first until you can eliminate it as the possible cause.

einyv and PerCompLLC like this.
  11. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

If by Cyanogen he is refering to the 2.2 rom in RomManager, then that is just the one released by P3Droid... It is not a Cyanogen Rom...

12. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC Well-Known Member

@rdsok - I just want to say, that was an extremely thorough and well thought out post. And while I personally don't need the information (just browsing to see if I can help), I am certain that it will be very helpful to others in the community.

Thanks for giving back!

13. mrthundercleese

mrthundercleese Well-Known Member

Considering the OP specifically said ESE ... I went with 2.1. Obviously I was wrong. ;)

14. nstallion

Well judging by the way he said it, I assumed he really didn't know what he was talking about lol. I assumed he just meant all the newest ROMs.

15. iamloco724

iamloco724 Well-Known Member

i went back to the last 2.1 beast for now to many market issues for me with the beast froyo i havnt had a real chance to try other 2.2 roms yet

16. obutto

obutto Well-Known Member

For some strange reason, I'm almost positive that you did not clear data / cache before switching ROM's.

17. iamloco724

iamloco724 Well-Known Member

if your referring to me then yes i did before installing a rom i do both of those several times

18. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

yeah thats a thought. i have run pretty much every rom around and i have never had stability issues unless is was a beta build. and i must say that BB and CM roms are probably the smoothest.