• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New root going for Lollipop

Pillowite

Nov 14, 2011
Okay, so im confused on a few things. I have the HTC One Max sprint variant. I have S-ON and am experiencing trouble and have worries to take care of. Id appreciate your advice.

1) i have hboot 2.49.0000. the error i get when trying to flash the recovery into memory is that the phone boots into recovery but i cant press any buttons. When i leave the usb in, the connection changes to a charger and my pc says that there is no connection and i still cant press any buttons on TWRP 2.8.1.0

2) im trying to use Lollipop 5.0][T6SPR] PAC-ROM LP Beta-1 rom and based on what ive been researching, i would need a firmware update to match this with a recommended recovery? Is twrp 2.8.1.0 a recommended recovery? The newer version recoveries for this (2.8.7.0) wont work at all. Also, where can i find the stock recovery?

3) will i still be allowed to flash my backup incase anything happens, IF I open twrp 2.8.1.0 (which has been permanently flashed on my phone) and install it from sd card or phone hdd? According to your post, if i flash from perma recovery instead of temp flashing recovery into memory, then i wont be able to flash back.

im just trying to flash to experience flash roms, but i feel like my lack of knowledge is holding me back and you have explained everything real well and been extremely nice about it. Thank you for getting me this far, sir!

Okay, so im confused on a few things. I have the HTC One Max sprint variant

1) i have hboot 2.49.0000. the error i get when trying to flash the recovery into memory is that the phone boots into recovery but i cant press any buttons. When i leave the usb in, the connection changes to a charger and my pc says that there is no connection and i still cant press any buttons on TWRP 2.8.1.0

2) im trying to use Lollipop 5.0][T6SPR] PAC-ROM LP Beta-1 rom and based on what ive been researching, i would need a hboot update to match this?

3) will i still be allowed to flash my backup incase anything happens, IF I straight open twrp 2.8.1.0 (which has been permanently flashed on my phone) and install it from sd card or phone hdd? According to your post, if i flash from perma recovery instead of temp flashing recovery into memory, then i wont be able to flash back.

im just trying to flash to experience flash roms, but i feel like my lack of knowledge is holding me back and you have explained everything real well and been extremely nice about it. Thank you for getting me this far, sir!
OK, my first concern is that you're asking this in the HTC Rezound forum and my second is that you're new on root with an older TWRP.

First, and this is insanely important, you must flash and install things specifically for your Sprint HTC One Max - none of this stuff is generic.

Please get TWRP 2.8.7 —

https://dl.twrp.me/t6spr/

The T6SPR in the rom title says that you've gotten that matched up.

http://forum.pac-rom.com/Thread-ROM-OFFICIAL-Lollipop-5-0-T6SPR-PAC-ROM-LP-Beta-1

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2790916

Please link me to the research that indicates that you need an hboot update, ok?

Were you up to date on your phone via Sprint OTAs before you started? If not, I can help you with that too.

Forget everything here about the old instructions.

We're going to do this all from your phone now.

And provided that you haven't done anything yet besides unlock your bootloader at HTCdev.com and install (the right) TWRP, yes, you can make a nandroid backup of your stock setup to your phone, and escape safely back to it if trouble happens.

After you've had a chance to respond, I'm going to move the discussion to a new thread here -

http://androidforums.com/forums/root-htc-one-max.2465/

If you used an all in one toolkit of some kind or don't have a trustworthy copy of fastboot - either one - let me know that as well and I'll help you get that taken care of.

I know - tall order.

Take your time, answer each piece best you can and it'll smooth out for you. ;)

Reactions: Pillowite
Upvote 0
I was up to date on the OTA's. Sense and Android (4.4.2).

I may have read incorrectly about hboot update, so we can not bring that up ever.

I installed the latest twrp just now! so im running 2.8.7.0. Its working and im working on a back up, at the very moment.

lets move this thread!

Oh and about the copy of fastboot, i got it from this link: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95916177934546524

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, so this can time can be assured of NOT being wasted, i plan on keeping this phone for at least a year. Im not really all that impressed with the phones that came out this year and i like the htc one max for a lot of good reasons. The moto x pure is the only one that interests me but its $400 tag cant beat the $140 i got this phone for and the productivity that this custom rom would be able to give me. Just something that i want to let you know.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
OK, qbking77 is a good guy, that's a current date so I say your fastboot is good.

As you advance, you may want adb and an md5 checksum tool, get it all here (or just bookmark this for later) -

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

You absolutely want to check the md5 listed at THE ROM download site before going to TWRP and installing.

Check out "AFV File Verifier for Android™" for the best way to do that

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sa.afvx

How are you then?

Getting squared away? I'll keep an eye out for you here.

Meanwhile - bookmark this it's your ultimate safety net -

http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-max-sprint/news/

And keep your Unlock_code.bin file in a safe place in the event of a future emergency.

Upvote 0
Also, so this can time can be assured of NOT being wasted, i plan on keeping this phone for at least a year. Im not really all that impressed with the phones that came out this year and i like the htc one max for a lot of good reasons. The moto x pure is the only one that interests me but its $400 tag cant beat the $140 i got this phone for and the productivity that this custom rom would be able to give me. Just something that i want to let you know.
Music to my ears, I love hearing about getting the most bang for your buck - I'm a big HTC fan if you can't tell. :D

Upvote 0
Alright, so what ive done so far is ive downloaded the Pacman lollipop rom and the Google apps for it. Ive put those (in backup locations) on my computer and on my phones storage. Should i start or am i missing anything?
Use the AFV File Verifier on each zip file on your phone - get the md5 checksum, compare to the value found on the dev download site (usually towards the bottom at Android File Host).

The values match, you're golden, go to TWRP and flash away.

No match = download again, and you just saved yourself a big installation headache

Upvote 0
UPDATE: The roms md5 (d2d43673f01dcc81c0b4019857eb7dd7) is different from the md5 that TWRP 2.8.7.0 has (c91e4784c5a37427ecba9bd83b232855). This makes sense why in the last post, scott mentioned finding a compatible recovery for your rom. Im learning, sensei. Teach me your ways.

where do i find a compatible one? i looked through all the twrp md5's. none match. Is there a compatibility list online somewhere?

Upvote 0
Boookay - TWRP had an md5 - the roms have an md5.

Check the pictures to see how I found the expected md5 for the rom -

1439703264481.jpg

1439703280819.jpg

Looks like a match on the rom to me!

So - you match your rom md5 to the master - if same, you're good.

Always do for anything you flash.

Gapps md5 will be different.

You don't care, just match to the master.

Upvote 0
TWRP and Rom are not supposed to have matching md5 values .

Your TWRP copy should match the master TWRP.

Your rom copy should match the master - the original copy as set by the dev.

Check my screen shots - that's the download site for the Lollipop Beta-1.

I tapped the md5 link, the developer's value appeared.

From what I understand, you ran AFV and got the same value.

In other words -

You got a rom zip file.

Actually, you got a copy of the rom zip file.

How do you know that the copy is good enough to trust to not brick your phone?

The md5 comparison you do by hand first.

It tells you if your rom copy matches the original.

Upvote 0
i got incorrect values.

ROM: d2d43673f01dcc81c0b4019857eb7dd7

TWRP: c91e4784c5a37427ecba9bd83b232855

different values. I understand the concept, but i dont understand how these two values are the same.

REPHRASED: to clarify as to why i copied the same comment as above, im not seeing the correlation. If you could help me understand what im missing, that would be great.

UPDATE: "TWRP and Rom are not supposed to have matching md5 values"

OMG PLS BE PATIENT WITH ME!

so, you mean that the master twrp should match my copy of twrp? Ok.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I grabbed the file, watch what I do -

1439706659499.jpg

Navigate to folder with the download -

1439706707100.jpg

Long press the rom zip file, get the popup -

1439706749374.jpg

Choose the first one, Calc md5 checksum -

1439706790535.jpg

1439706808199.jpg

1439706825459.jpg

Compare value calculated with the download site -

1439706871749.jpg

You can see that my download matches what the developer said I should get - if I had your phone, my downloaded rom zip file would be safe to flash.

Upvote 0
textra texting app works, but i keep getting a apn error setting. No Sim Card is back too. very minor things. How would i change the apn settings? I cant find the option in the settings.

Improvements from android 4.4.2 to 5.0.2: smoother video playback, less bloat, and faster daily operation.

OH! if i want to install another rom, after checking its compatiblity ofc, do i need to restore my phone to my backup and then install a rom? Couldnt i just use the recovery to install another rom, instead of doing it the long way?

Upvote 0
so for general knowledge: when switching os (jellybean to kitkat) you have to download a kernel because otherwise the os wont boot. So, do most roms come with an integrated kernel or would i have to separately download a kernel? I mean i guess it depends on the rom.....

Oh and i if i decided to go with cyanogenmod 12.1, there would be updates right? its a rom that is still in beta (thats what "nightly" means, right?) and it seems to have quite a bit of support. With updates on cm12.1, would i have to re install the new update or would it just download, similar to a normal android os update?

Upvote 0
All roms come with a kernel and a matching system image.

Kernels are not generic across roms within a given version of Android.

They're as likely to be modified as anything else in a custom rom.

We speak of custom kernels that can be flashed separately and that name is as valid as alternative kernels.

The Cyanogenmod code base is under constant development.

CM roms are built for a variety of phones from that code base.

CM 12.1 for my phone won't install on yours and vice versa.

New versions of CM for your phone will only happen so long as someone builds it.

Roms have stable release points, called an RC or release candidate. Some, like CM, release interim versions of the development between one RC and the next - and some as often as every night. So every nightly is like a beta of the next RC.

How you acquire and apply a nightly update depends on the rom and the nightly itself.

Other popular code bases under constant development include AOSP (from Google), Pac-Man, Paranoid Android, AOKP, and a number of others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones