New Root Method

Last Updated:

1. Centsy

Centsy Member This Topic's Starter

I was able to root my phone with this method when everything else failed. Try this if you have had trouble with other methods. I did not discover this, I heard it from someone on IRC (forgot who).

1. With your phone booted up and plugged in via USB, type adb reboot recovery.
    2. Start your adb shell loop (using the while loop or bat file).
    3. Click in and out your SD card repeatedly while the phone is booting into recovery (apparently every 0.5 sec will do).
    4. Watch for "- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -" to appear in your terminal
    5. Follow the rest of the instructions at public:adb_in_recovery [RootWiki]

Let me know if you have any questions.

Advertisement
  2. jfoey22

jfoey22 Well-Known Member

Ok... I am a n00b....
    I have some questions....

1. With your phone booted up and plugged in via USB, type adb reboot recovery.
    Where do you type adb reboot recovery?

2. Start your adb shell loop (using the while loop or bat file).
    How do you start adb shell loop? Is that just loop.bat from the \tools directory?

3. Centsy

adb reboot recovery is typed into a command prompt (Start button, run, cmd) or terminal (for linux/mac).

Yes, the loop.bat should be the same one you placed in your tools directory.

Also, this method still may take several tries to get it to work. Took myself and others about 5 tries.

4. jfoey22

Ok so let me get this straight...

1. C:\Android\tools\loop.bat
    2. Press and release SD card rapidly?

After that I should start seeing "- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -"

Any chance you could do a video tutorial?

5. Centsy

Yea, it seems like you have it right. Try it a few times. I did it a second time after about 10-15 tries. I may do a video tutorial if I can get some camera stuff setup, but probably not until later. Also, I have a SanDisk 16GB Class 2 MicroSD card, if that helps anyone.

6. jfoey22

I hear everybody mentioning what type of SD card they have, why would that matter? The files are on our pc correct?

7. Droidizzle

Droidizzle Well-Known Member

Oh yes!!! Thank you! Finally!

8. Centsy

The exploit seems to have to do with code that runs when accessing the SD card in the phone. Therefore it seems that different things are working for different cards.

9. macdaddybuff

macdaddybuff Well-Known Member

trying it now so far no dice only 4 tries though
    may try my other sd card

10. macdaddybuff

macdaddybuff Well-Known Member

tried it 10 or so times on both cards
    no dice

11. crazydog

crazydog Well-Known Member

Has there been success with the 2GB card that Verizon gave with the phone? I have that lying around somewhere...

12. Centsy

I've heard from others on the IRC that the 2GB from Verizon should work.

13. blw1230

blw1230 Active Member

Tried 4 times so far. 2 with the verizon 2gb sandish and 2 with 8gb scandisk. Hopefully it will work soon. All I get is "error: device not found"

Still nada

14. vilord

vilord New Member

This did it!
    I've been trying all the other methods with a 2gb pny (1.5gb of nav software), the 2gb sandisk that came with it (tried empty and with 800mb of \windows\system32 crud), and my regular 8gb transcend class 6 with 1.5gb of nav and other stuff. Nothing would work
    This method worked on the 3rd try with the transcend (still didn't work after multiple tries with the other two).

Thank you thank you thank you! :)

15. Xystence

Xystence Well-Known Member

Everytime I have my phone connected to my pc, it registers it fine but when I type "adb reboot recovery" I get a message saying "Permission denied"

Any advice?

16. myth123

myth123 Member

This worked for me.

17. drtrmiller

drtrmiller Active Member

My device still shows up as two disk drives, both of which are inaccessible, when using this method. The same occurs when I use the original root method. ADB drivers are installed and I can execute ADB commands when the device is booted normally, just not at the root level.

Has anyone figured this out?

18. acipollo

acipollo Well-Known Member

The 2 drives are the internal memory and the SD card. Your phone should be off when you start this, so it shouldn't pick them up.

19. HolyGrail

HolyGrail Well-Known Member

After trying many different ways to no avail, I got it to work this way. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

It seems to be a combination of drivers and the sd card.

This is for users who already know most of the steps but still can't access Recovery, and have tried every single method with no success.

1. First thing, in your usb driver folder in your sdk dir, we need to edit the "android_winusb.inf"

Look for and add this under [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64] lines.

;
    ;HTC Incredible
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E&MI_01
    %SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C94
    and save. (credit goes to onodontbescurred)

2. Plug in the phone, an open device manager. Look for Android, click the drop down menu, right click and update the driver. Follow the steps and point it to "android_winusb.inf" If it asked you to restart just do it.

3. After restart have your phone plugged in go back to the device manager. Leave device manager on for the next steps.

Turn you phone off, with the usb still plugged in. Press and hold the optical Trackball and press power. Once in the menu press power again. Wait 5 seconds. At this time you will see in Android in the device manager just like before. Do step 2 again and update the driver. Yes you have to do this again. Do I know why, no. Does it work, yes. After you do this go ahead and tab down to recovery, wait, then hold down volume up and power, from here reboot the phone. We'll be back in a second.

4. Now from here, ether use another sd card, or copy your intire sdcard to the computer (you can copy everything back later).

5. Now from here your going to have to Take out your sdcard from your phone to Format your sdcard. To do this the right way, your going to have to use a card read of some sort. The reason being is formatting the card through the phone won't work, because files are put back on by the phone. After you have your sd card in your reader, just right click on it and format it. I'm used the extra free 2gb sd card that came with the phone.

6. Leave the card out and turn off your phone. Then insert the sd card you formated back into the phone.

7. Open up cmd, and restart the loop.

8. Refollow the steps (credit to you_eeeeeediot @ XDA for the new procedure)Press and hold the optical Trackball and press power

Once in the menu press power again

Wait 20 seconds for it to do its bit

Plug USB in and wait another 10 seconds for your computer to detect the phone

press menu down to highlight "recovery"

Press power

wait 20 seconds

the screen should change from "error: device not found" to "exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -"

9. If succesful, you can follow Perunnerseth's instructions here.

http://www.incredibleforum.com/forum...art-added.html

10. Send me a Wonka Bar with a Golden Ticket. [​IMG]

20. zeke88

zeke88 Well-Known Member

worked with my noika 1GB class 2 (slowest i think)

failed 9 times with 4GB class 6

here are my steps:

Unplug the USB

Press and hold the optical Trackball and press power

Once in the menu press power again

Wait 20 seconds for it to do its bit

Plug USB in and wait another 10 seconds for your computer to detect the phone

press menu down to highlight "recovery"

set up the cmd for adb shell loop

Press power on the phone + hit enter on cmd at the same time.

the screen should change from "error: device not found" to "exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -"

for the rest, i fellowed "The PRS Complete Rooting Guide"

ps: it worked for me.

fearofth3dark and DeaconBoogie like this.
  21. psmafia

psmafia New Member

This is the method to use if you have a sandisk 16gb class 2. Also I used my hackintosh so I didn't have to worry abouy drivers. Loop the shell command and your good to go. Took me two tries the first time then 10 the second.

22. mik0r

mik0r Well-Known Member

Clicking in and out the SD card almost worked for me... I got to the adb shell but the phone didn't recognize the sd card so I couldn't push the files. Tried this method 100 times but it only worked the 1 time for me... All other methods don't work at all for me.

I'm using the 2gb sandisk from verizon

23. blw1230

blw1230 Active Member

So when I try you're method and open the device manager, I do not see Android. Kinda stops you in your tracks....

Edit: Nope still never detected the device in cmd prompt running loop....

24. mdonova33

mdonova33 Well-Known Member

Is this method permanent?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

25. xmonkey

xmonkey Well-Known Member

Just rooted using this method on the first try after failing using other methods :D

I used the 2GB card that came with the phone and I'm on Win 7 64bit using just the Android SDK drivers with the modified INF. I downloaded the files that DiegoMejia posted here: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-incredible/99437-video-10min-root-complete-guide.html

The driver was properly installed as the "adb devices" command at the prompt responded with my phone.

1. Phone was fully booted and USB debug enabled with it set to charge only
    2. From there I prepped "adb reboot recovery" in the command prompt
    3. Opened a new command prompt window and got to C:\sdk\tools (or wherever yours is), and prepped "loop" to run the batch file from the link above
    4. Executed the reboot recovery command, then immediately started the loop command
    5. From this point I just started plugging and unplugging the SD card, took about 4 seconds after the triangle screen showed up for it to get me into recovery
    6. Followed the rest of the instructions from the video posted by Diego

I had the Android 1.0 error in Device Manager before and never fixed it, and was still able to get into recovery using this method.

TheIncredibleJ likes this.