• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New rooting procedure explained

novox77

Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
Jul 7, 2010
Some of you may be intimidated by the new 2.2 rooting instructions. Here's an explanation of what the steps do and why you're doing them. Hopefully, armed with this info, you'll be more confident in proceeding with rooting your phone. See this thread for reference:

xda-developers - View Single Post - [GUIDE] How to root Android 2.2 on the EVO 4G

Steps 1-3:
In order to execute the root exploit, you need a tool called "adb." This stands for Android Debugging Bridge, and it is bundled with the Android SDK. The SDK is a package that allows you to write applications for Android, but the only reason we're downloading the SDK is for the adb tool, which is located in a /Tools subfolder in the SDK. The latest HTC Sync is needed because it contains the drivers that allow adb to interface between your PC and your phone. I believe the version of Sync specified will work with windows 7 64-bit. Mac users, scroll down to post 18 in this thread. EarlyMon has the procedure for you.

Step 4:
You need to turn on USB debugging on your phone in order for adb to work. You will be using adb to copy files to your phone and execute linux commands. More on this later.

Step 5:
It is important that your phone is in charge only. If it is in disk drive mode, your phone pretty much locks your sdcard from being written by adb. Make sure you're in charge mode.

Step 6:
Now you have to copy files onto your phone via adb. The "adb push" command basically takes a file on your PC and pushes it to your phone. If you needed a file copied off your phone onto your PC, you'd use adb pull. Easy, right? Let's look at the first copy command:

adb push unrevoked-forever.zip /sdcard/
this tells adb to copy the file unrevoked-forever.zip to your phone's /sdcard directory.

After all files are copied, the instructions specify to chmod the files. chmod is a standard linux command to change permissions of a file. the 0755 specifies a certain permissions configuration that will allow you to execute the files needed to root your computer. Make sure you get the 0755 number right. For those of you interested in what the numbers mean, google chmod.

Also, I should mention that before you did the chmod, the instructions told you to run "adb shell." This is the coolest feature of adb, as it gives you a linux shell to totally manage the linux filesystem of your phone. If you've never used linux in all its command-line glory, you can think of the shell as the equivalent of cmd.exe on your windows box, or the terminal on your Mac. It's a place where you can issue commands like chmod directly to your phone.

next substep is to run these commands:

cd /data/local/tmp
./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
cd is the standard linux command to "change directory." it's the same as DOS/windows. Only difference is linux requires normal slashes, while windows require backslashes. The ./rageagainstthegage-arm5.bin command simply executes that file. Note that you put this file in this directory earlier with the

adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/
command. Right after you execute that file, you need to toggle airplane mode on your phone. Apparently the exploit requires this, and since the toggle period is short, you might miss it. So you have to try this step over and over until the root exploit gets what it needs.

If you are successful, your adb shell prompt will become a #. In most linux shells, the # indicates you are root. The $ indicates you are just a scrub.

If you get the # prompt, you are temporarily rooted! Now, while you have root, you can flash the engineering bootloader with these commands:

cd /data/local
./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
The engineering bootloader is one that is placed on the phone while the phone is still in development/pre-release. It is set to lower NAND security (what is commonly referred to as NAND unlocked) so that you can flash unsigned ROMs. Note that at this stage of the rooting process, root and NAND unlock are both TEMPORARY. If you reboot your phone now, you won't have a rooted phone.

Once the flash is complete, you reboot the bootloader. The bootloader is programmed to look for a PC36IMG.ZIP file automatically, and if you properly executed the adb push command for that file, you'll have no trouble with the procedure picking up the file and installing 2.1 on your phone.

Congrats, if you made it here, your phone has been downgraded to 2.1. Now, any of the old 2.1 rooting methods are at your disposal. You can continue to follow the procedure, which asks you to run unrevoked3 and unrevoked4ever, or you can run Simpleroot, in my sig. There are tons of old threads detailing these root methods. I recommend Simpleroot because it's so darn easy. 2 button clicks and you're done. Note that once you have Simpleroot opened, you need to have it update itself.

I'll also point you to a general rooting explanation guide (also stickied in this subforum):
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-get-your-bearings-before-plunging.html

Mac users, if some of these windows/dos-specific commands don't apply to you, check this out:
http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/118052-mac-root-all-evo.html#post1099333

That's it. If the procedures on the xda change, I'll update this post. Hope this has been helpful for people new to rooting and linux.

ok...im trying it right now...and im on step 5.

when they say "Note: the PC36IMG.zip will take longer than expected to transfer to the sdcard. It is a BIG file."....how long is it suppose to take...i've been waiting for like 5 minutes or so and it's still just not doing anything.

also..i copied and pasted what was written on the instruction to put on the cmd and each line after the push of each file it says.." 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable pragram or batch file."

is it suppose to be like that? and btw, im still waiting for the pc36img.zip file to be push.

Upvote 0
ok...im trying it right now...and im on step 5.

when they say "Note: the PC36IMG.zip will take longer than expected to transfer to the sdcard. It is a BIG file."....how long is it suppose to take...i've been waiting for like 5 minutes or so and it's still just not doing anything.

also..i copied and pasted what was written on the instruction to put on the cmd and each line after the push of each file it says.." 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable pragram or batch file."

is it suppose to be like that? and btw, im still waiting for the pc36img.zip file to be push.

You need to be in the tools subfolder. Check the instructions near the top of the xda post.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't it make more sense to simply edit this into post #1 of the existing sticky, kinda as a add-on?

novox - I'd say don't be shy, no one will fault you for copying these instructions there - that thread's going to be at the top of this sub-forum for a while anyway, and why have two?
The threads have two different purposes... at first.

But that thread, and this thread, would both inevitably turn into nothing more than questions about how to do the root.

Then again... The announcement purpose of the first thread will quickly become irrelevant, and the only thing separating the two threads will be that the old thread has several pages of unhelpful commentary before finding supporting information about root, while this thread would/could immediately start discussion about the key hiccups in attempting to root, thus saving us all from multimultimulti-repeat questions. Is that worth two separate threads? Or can we just start a new one and cut the fat of the old one from the sticky?

Upvote 0
t4za60.gif

novox, bravo. excellent post. if they dont sticky this, mods should do as earlymon suggested and merge it into the other root2.2 thread.

Upvote 0
I think the following would be best...
1-to have the first post of this thread merged into the first post of the other thread.
2-Rename the other thread.
3-Then merge both threads together (and remove the first post of this thread so it doesn't appear twice).

But that is if its okay with the OP. Either way, the other one stays sticky. We really do not need so many sticky threads in this section.

let me know.
TS

Upvote 0
I think the following would be best...
1-to have the first post of this thread merged into the first post of the other thread.
2-Rename the other thread.
3-Then merge both threads together (and remove the first post of this thread so it doesn't appear twice).

But that is if its okay with the OP. Either way, the other one stays sticky. We really do not need so many sticky threads in this section.

let me know.
TS

Do you have a way to make the OP of this thread the 2nd post in the stickied thread? That would be most ideal to me. If you can manually nudge the timestamp of this OP and then merge with the sticky thread, it should work.

Otherwise, I don't think this thread needs to be stickied. From the OP of the stickied thread, I have linked to this thread, so people can always find this one easily. So, doing nothing at this point is a viable option as well IMO.

Upvote 0
Do you have a way to make the OP of this thread the 2nd post in the stickied thread?

Why not simply make a quote of yourself in entirety in this thread's first post, copy that into the FP of the other thread - mark it some nice red, bold Part Dueux or some such, and then let the merge just happen?

You'll get the same effect with less work all around.

Of course - this has been suggested before. :D

PS - Hook a propeller to your thanks-o-meter and you'll have a new form of air conditioning. :)

C'mon gang - go upstairs and give it up for novox77!!

Upvote 0
the more i think about it, the better I like it as is. Having a link in the stickied OP to this thread means people can skip it if they don't care, and we're not forcing people to scroll through a very long post.

And in general, I'm not a fan of merging because it's like shuffling cards. what used to be a linear flow of posts is now intermingled with a linear flow from another thread. the end result is a big WTF is going on here? esp. for people who never knew a merge happened.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones