• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New S3 Info! Also who's jumping ship?

This is interesting it says it runs on Wimax and LTE so it's a dual 4G chip

Attachments

• 1372728357372.jpg
    1372728357372.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0
Unfortunately just an advertising error, there have never been any wimax/LTE combined handsets offered by Sprint, the S3 is LTE only. :p
OB

I had a little conspiracy theory:
Since a lot of people (including myself) are getting 4G with the S3 in places that had Wimax it's either a dual 4G chip or VM gives priority connection to S3s and the speed allows them to brand their Wimax connection as LTE. Or their rolling out LTE to places that have Wimax first and then other places.

Upvote 0
Back up to $349, but I wouldn't pay much more than that.

About the other guys conspiracy theory, I don't see how the s3 wouldn't have LTE. It would open them up to false advertising also.

LTE is measured by network speed therefore VM can pretty much market their 4G as LTE if it complies with the set speed or so I believe. As for the other one why can't a phone be Wimax and LTE with like two 4G chips?

Upvote 0
...VM can pretty much market their 4G as LTE if it complies with the set speed or so I believe.

"4G", by itself, is a vague, undefined term and all carriers in the U.S. are claiming "4G" service based on speed, regardless of the underlying technology the carrier has deployed. Carriers can hit "4G" speeds using WiMax, HSPA or LTE, and a carrier can't market that it offers "LTE" service unless it is actually providing service via LTE equipment.

As for the other one why can't a phone be Wimax and LTE with like two 4G chips?

It's technically possible. Sprint offers the Sierra Wireless 4G LTE Tri-Fi Hotspot that connects to 3G CDMA, 4G WiMax and 4G LTE, but I don't think they have any plans to offer phones with the same capabilities.

Reactions: BigBossman
Upvote 0
"4G", by itself, is a vague, undefined term and all carriers in the U.S. are claiming "4G" service based on speed, regardless of the underlying technology the carrier has deployed. Carriers can hit "4G" speeds using WiMax, HSPA or LTE, and carrier can't market that it offers "LTE" service unless it is actually providing service via LTE equipment.

It's technically possible. Sprint offers the Sierra Wireless 4G LTE Tri-Fi Hotspot that connects to 3G CDMA, 4G WiMax and 4G LTE, but I don't think they have any plans to offer phones with the same capabilities.

Eh I tried but anyway it still intrigues me why Amazon posted that it's both.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones