New S3 Info! Also who's jumping ship?

1. notebooko

notebooko Well-Known Member

LG Optimus F5 on Virgin. F7 on Boost.
  2. amk2795

amk2795 Well-Known Member

I'm jumping ship.
    PLEAAASSEEE give me a decent phone! I hate this piece of junk evo.
  3. koopakid08

koopakid08 Well-Known Member

Lol, you must not have been around when the optimus v was the happening phone on vm...
  4. mysticalnyte

mysticalnyte Well-Known Member

Good times and good memories on the OV. Still have mine somewhere's...
  5. Larzuk

Larzuk Well-Known Member

Already Jumped! By far the best phone I've owned. Amazing phone, Absolutely amazing.
  6. FatalIll

FatalIll Well-Known Member

Excuse me? Lol.
  7. Darklink

Darklink Well-Known Member

I recently picked up my Evo V on sale for $130. Maybe in a year I can think about paying under 200 for the S3.. But I'm really aiming at the N4. or N5. (or as Larzuk would say, "I already bought the Nexus5, I love it")
  8. aml1025

aml1025 Well-Known Member

Some people are reporting Radio Shack has the S3 available for sale already, jumping the gun on the 6/12 release date. A few members of another forum have purchased them and posted pictures. One even had his wife drop hers already, shattering the screen :-(
  9. KryptoNyte

KryptoNyte Well-Known Member

$430 for a Virgin Mobile S3? I think I'll have to pass on this one.
  10. Droidula

Droidula Well-Known Member

Me too. Pass my Evo V to the unused drawer after I buy the S3, that is. :p
  11. BigBossman

BigBossman Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but the S3 puts the Evo V to shame by a long shot lol
    koopakid08 likes this.
  12. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

^^^yes
    BigBossman likes this.
  13. ENVi3

ENVi3 Well-Known Member

14. BigBossman

This is interesting it says it runs on Wimax and LTE so it's a dual 4G chip

Attached Files:

15. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Unfortunately just an advertising error, there have never been any wimax/LTE combined handsets offered by Sprint, the S3 is LTE only. :p
    OB
    BigBossman likes this.
  16. TDOW

TDOW Well-Known Member

OT to OB, Love your avvie!
  17. BigBossman

I had a little conspiracy theory:
    Since a lot of people (including myself) are getting 4G with the S3 in places that had Wimax it's either a dual 4G chip or VM gives priority connection to S3s and the speed allows them to brand their Wimax connection as LTE. Or their rolling out LTE to places that have Wimax first and then other places.
  18. Darklink

Darklink Well-Known Member

BigBossman likes this.
  19. BigBossman

LTE is measured by network speed therefore VM can pretty much market their 4G as LTE if it complies with the set speed or so I believe. As for the other one why can't a phone be Wimax and LTE with like two 4G chips?
  20. infotiger

infotiger Active Member

Spec from AMAZON:
    Android 4.1 Ice Cream Sandwich
    CDMA 3G EVDO Rev A/4G WiMAX and LTE
    WiFi/Mobile Hotspot Capability
    4.8? full touchscreen-super AMOLED plus 8MP Primary Camera and 2MP Front Facing
    1.5 GHz Dual core processor
  21. tcomotcom

tcomotcom Well-Known Member

Specs from SAMSUNG:

LTE: Band 25 (1900MHz); CDMA 1x/EVDO Rev A, 800/850/1900MHz

Link: Official Samsung Website - Sprint Galaxy SIII Specs

I'll bet $1.00 that Amazon has got it wrong. Virgin Mobile USA's website also says 3G/4G LTE and makes no mention of WiMax for this device.
  22. tcomotcom

"4G", by itself, is a vague, undefined term and all carriers in the U.S. are claiming "4G" service based on speed, regardless of the underlying technology the carrier has deployed. Carriers can hit "4G" speeds using WiMax, HSPA or LTE, and a carrier can't market that it offers "LTE" service unless it is actually providing service via LTE equipment.

It's technically possible. Sprint offers the Sierra Wireless 4G LTE Tri-Fi Hotspot that connects to 3G CDMA, 4G WiMax and 4G LTE, but I don't think they have any plans to offer phones with the same capabilities.
    BigBossman likes this.
  23. BigBossman

Eh I tried but anyway it still intrigues me why Amazon posted that it's both.
  24. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Typo? :rolleyes:
    OB
  25. tcomotcom

I assume whomever created the Amazon listing for the VM SIII just goofed up and/or was confused.

The Sprint SIII page says "4G LTE" only and the Boost Mobile SIII listed on Amazon also says "4G LTE" only. The Virgin Mobile SIII listed on Amazon also says "3G/4G LTE connectivity" on the right hand side if you scroll down to the bullet list.