New S4 not charging on car apdator when using GPSSupport

1. rdefino

rdefino Well-Known Member

So I noticed that when I have my S4 plugged into the car adptor I see the lighting bolt and it will charge.

But If I use My Waze GPS app, it actually drains the battery instead of still charging. Still has the lighting bolt, but I actully see it drop from 56% to 55 to 54, etc...

Now my old Razr would charge will using the gps.

Any idea what's up with the S4. I hope this can be fixed.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Veritas4420

Veritas4420 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the charger is not supplying enough power to the Phone. what amp is the charger?
  3. rdefino

Iy doesn't say. It is a vervizon charger.

But they gave me a new when I bought the S4. it's a 5v /1A.

Would that be enough do you think?
  4. Hornplayer

Hornplayer New Member

My bet is that the phone, in navigation mode, uses more power than the adapter can supply.
  5. Veritas4420

6. rdefino

Is there a charger that I can use that can charge it in navigation mode.

If not, then this phone is useless to me. I drive over an hour at times and using gps drains this thing.
  7. KupKrazy

KupKrazy Well-Known Member

It's not an S4 thing - I get the same with both S4 and my Note II. It uses more than the charger can provide. I even tried a 2.1amp charger with not better results. I am thinking that maybe my 2.1amp charger is faulty, though. I need to try it again. However - if it's a 500ma-1a charger then I bet it's not supplying enough.

I was also thinking of perhaps using an inverter and charging it via the AC adaptor.. lol anyway, yeah - that is one of the reasons I stopped using Waze for now.
  8. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

I use the GPS 100% of the time on my SIII when I drive and although it charges slower than with the gps off but it still charges. I'm using a 1 A charger.

Losing charge while charging and using GPS would be a deal killer for sure.
  9. rdefino

Ya, this is a Samsung issue. I mean not having your phone at least hold the charge while using gps on the adapter is crazy.

I might be returning the phone!!!
  10. rdefino

Panic is over. I tried the new charger that I got with the s4 and that charges the phone while using wazes. :)
  11. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

The same thing used to happen to my S2. As you have found out, you need a pretty beefy charger to have GPS and the screen on all the time and not still lose charge.
  12. Veritas4420

It's not a Samsung issue. Its a powerful phone issue. My friend with the new HTC phone has the same issue using a generic ATT charger. The solution is very simple. Get a charger with at least 3A....
  13. Tware

Tware Well-Known Member

Most devices now have low and high charge rates. For instance, the phone can pull more amperage than your PC USB port can provide. So, it will use a safer charging profile. However, when using an OEM (or properly designed third party charger), there's a small amount of resistance across two pins that tell the phone it's safe to charger at a much higher rate. It wont matter how much amperage your charger has if it doesn't tell the phone (or the cable doesn't provide) the spec needed to change to high charge rate. At <500mAh, it's just not enough to charge and navigate (screen on, scrolling, routing, data for maps and GPS).
  14. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Oh, and don't forget, if you're phone gets too hot, it will slow down charging or just stop altogether. This can easily happen if you're phone is mounted on the windshield and the sun is hitting it.