• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New S5 -How to know which apps I can uninstall??

MichelleO

Lurker
Jun 19, 2014
Hi S5 users:

I did find lots of info on some unnecessary apps you can turn off when you purchase your new S5. Great info online for this.
I still want to get rid of some others and how do you know which?? the messages like "turning off this app will cause problems with your other apps" always makes me default to NOT uninstall.

Apps like:
FamilyBase Companion
Flipboard
Blurb Checkout
ANT + Plugins
ANT radio service
HP Print Service Plugin
Google Play Books
Google Play Music
Google newsstand
Google Talkback
Samsung Print Service Plugin
Samsung Push Service

I will say that I'm not a huge app user - might have about 3-6 max that didn't come with phone. I run a business and do not use it for music, video, printing, chatting with friends on social media.... i use it mostly to call, text, camera!! and sync Google calendar and using as a hotspot with my laptop at my private office.

Are there any on the list above that anyone can speak to that i absolutely NEED to keep my phone running properly and should not install??
And if I do Uninstall, when it says "will restore to factory version"... I thought the whole point was to get it off the phone so that message confuses me.

ok forum peeps, thanks in advance for your input. about 3 weeks in with this new phone and it's still a little smarter than me, but i'm learning =)
Cheers

Reactions: Andy McG
Nope, you don't need a single one of them.

If it has a "real name" to it, it is an app.

If it has an com.Android. something funky name, it is part of the system. Those you want to be careful with. But even some of those can be sidelined w/o harm.

Just be aware, that you won't brick your phone usually. If the phone suddenly does something weird, just go to settings/apps/app mgr/Turned OFF and find that item and turn it back ON.

Best you keep an accurate log of what you do, and the date/time you turn it OFF.

That is how I learn what works, and what won't.

turn the suspect OFF, go use the phone and see if it still does what you want.
Works, great.
don't, turn it back ON

Upvote 0
They can't be removed, only disabled.

Install Clean Master and use the App Manager in that application.
It will show you which are "downloaded apps" and can be uninstalled,
and it will show you apps that you can't uninstall, but can be turned off.

you can do the same thing in
settings/apps/app manager/ALL

click on Hal and then Disable. it will uninstall the updates, but not the app itself. it is part of the ROM.

Upvote 0
Nope, you don't need a single one of them.

If it has an com.Android. something funky name, it is part of the system. Those you want to be careful with. But even some of those can be sidelined w/o harm......

Hey AZgl1500, I was wondering what Android systems you have successfully disabled. I am trying to run tests with the s5 and we are getting rid of everything that is not absolutely necessary. I know it was a while ago, but do you still have a list of those by chance?

Thanks

Upvote 0

If it has an com.Android. something funky name, it is part of the system.
Not so.

1438010616733.jpg
Install Clean Master and...
Never install Clean Master.

http://androidforums.com/threads/pu...k-killers-ram-optimizers-and-the-like.896663/

Upvote 0

click on Hal and then Disable. it will uninstall the updates, but not the app itself. it is part of the ROM.

Upvote 0

Hi. Quick question. I have had clean master for a while and I am just now finding out about the app manager. Well it gave me a list of apps like you said. I have disabled the ones from the list of the original post. So I was wondering if you, or anyone, could tell me if it is safe to disable the others listed. I've sent pictures to show which ones I mean. Thanks. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-29-04-50-12.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-29-04-50-12.png
    280.2 KB · Views: 508
  • Screenshot_2015-12-29-04-50-33.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-29-04-50-33.png
    320.2 KB · Views: 442
  • Screenshot_2015-12-29-04-50-07.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-29-04-50-07.png
    315.8 KB · Views: 277
  • Screenshot_2015-12-29-04-50-37.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-29-04-50-37.png
    317.9 KB · Views: 346
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones