New SD card - how to set up?

1. Pinmac1

Pinmac1 Well-Known Member

Have done a search and found answers to some but not all of my questions about my new Micro SD card. I have bought a 16Gb to replace the 4GB which came with my Desire as I want to put more music and some offline maps onto it. I also have a lot of my apps on the 4Gb card.

I understand that it would be OK to plug the Desire into my PC and copy the contents across to a new folder. I would then unmount the card and put the new card in and copy the contents back. So far, so good?

But what i'm not sure about is whether (and how) I need to format the new card? Also, I would like to test it for speed as I hear that there are quite a few fakes out there. I bought from Play.com so should be OK but would like to be sure. Please can anyone tell me if there is a good program to test the speed please and whether I have the procedure correct?

Thanks.

Forgot to say that I don't have an adapter.

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Hi, in windows as long as you set to show hidden files and folders, copying it over and back is perfect.

H2testw.exe is a good way to test transfer speeds from a PC> Be aware that Class 6 is the maximum a Desire can take (class 10 will act as 6) so don't be surprised if you dont get a write speed over 6MB/s

You can find a link to H2testw in the downloads thread in my signature.