New SD card - just transfer from old card?Support

Last Updated:

1. Bearly

Bearly Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I searched the Incredible forums and sub forums and could not find an answer to this question, though I am sure it has been asked:

If I want to go from my stock 2 GB card to a new card, and I want to preserve data AND have all apps still be able to read whatever data they were reading off the card, do I just transfer the files from one card to the other?

I bet the only thing I need to make sure of is that new card is formatted with the same file system as the original card, right?

I know copying data from one card to the other will preserve data, but I want to make sure I have no problems with apps, either, after inserting the newer card.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

Just copy it. It'll be fine. :)

3. BobRossLives

BobRossLives New Member

Does just copying files from one SD card to another work? are there any other steps to ensure all data and app files will work with new card? Has anyone successfully tried this? Thanks.

4. emmur0

emmur0 Well-Known Member

I have yet to try and copy the files, but i'm going from an 8gb to a 16gb card. I plan on copy and pasting later today when I get home from work. I hope it goes as planned.

5. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

I went from the stock 2GB card to a 4GB I had around and I just copied everything on the old card to the new one at one time. Everything worked fine, except my ringtones were messed up. Funny thing too, I use ringtones from "my music" and they were all just one song off after I switched cards. No biggie, but very strange, like the "address" to the songs got messed up.

6. Jim Chapman

Jim Chapman Well-Known Member

FWIW, the SD card I am using with my Dinc is one that I simply removed from my old Palm Centro. I did not change the directory structure in any way, so it may be somewhat different than what Android would have created on an empty card, but nevertheless it found all the MP3 and JPEG files without difficulty.

7. Bearly

Bearly Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yes, copy over the folder structure EXACTLY.

Just make sure the cards were formatted with the same file system. (not sure it matters, but I could've sworn I read that it did matter).

I'm waiting on a 32 GB class 6 to come out under $100...like, in two years.

8. freddyttt

freddyttt Well-Known Member

need