• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Sega Genesis Emulator MD.EMU on Market

gwaine

May 19, 2011
Just wanted to let folks know that Robert Broglia's new Sega Genesis emulator MD.EMU has just been released on the Android Market. It plays the games that the others never could (Herzog Zwei, Star Control, etc.) and the emulation is spot-on. He plans on integrating Master System compatibility and is hinting that he might have Sega CD games work at a future date. It works great with the Play's controls.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.explusalpha.MdEmu

So you don't think someone who spends loads of time making an emulator should be compensated, but you're willing to take it for free? I hardly think its ridiculous. It sounds like on one hand you think using emulators is wrong, but you're for having the dev create it and then give it to you for free. I'm more than happy to give someone five bucks who spends his time creating a quality emulator. It also encourages futher development.

Upvote 0
Donations are acceptable, and respectable in regards to the original developers of retro games. If he had a donation set up, I would have gladly paid for the emulator. But since everyone outright has to pay for something that is technically stolen from Sega in the first place, I will in turn acquire for free and donate nothing.

Upvote 0
Nobody who is selling an emulator on the Android market actually did any of the emulator core. They just wrote a port. Consumers don't understand the difference. They are all using emulator code they didn't write to sell a product.

Now most code is under GPL and therefore albeit shadowy it is completely legal and well within the GPL license to sell the code.

A better GENPlus port which was around a few weeks before Robert copied it is GENPlusDroid:
https://market.android.com/details?id=ca.halsafar.genesisdroid

It supports neat shaders (so 2xSaI, hq2x, etc). Defaults to Xperia Play support. I'd also rather support this developer who seems much nicer and more receptive to feedback.

Upvote 0
They are all using emulator code they didn't write to sell a product.
Both the publishers seem to be releasing the source as well though, this is how the license the emulators are released under works. Selling your program is fine as long as you provide the source code as well.

NeoandGeo, if you want to fork the project or compile it yourself, you can. The source code is provided for you, free of charge.

Upvote 0
I usually like to see a portfolio & status progress before I toss my money at someone who ported code whom someone else made the code. Their are some authors ( not all ) that port something , hype up promises , make some quick cash & in turn never heard from again. Now if you have a constant progress & other projects then you know what my money is given for the expense of your time, when the author could be doing something else with his or her free time.

Upvote 0
When I desperately want or need an app, I'll pay for it. If it's free, then great. Personally I have greater respect for devs that provide their apps free, but I have no problem with ones asking for money for their work.

i love me some free apps but i have no problem spending a few bucks on something i really want. i'd prbably just be spending that money on cigarettes anyway. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones