• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Sholes.info 2.0.1 ROM w/ 2.1 Apps

Fabolous

Superuser
Nov 7, 2009
Illinois
fabdroid.com
This new release (1/12/2010) is significant because it brings about a few significant changes:

1) Default over/underclock of 600MHz when under load, and only 125MHz when idle. The lower idle frequency should make up for the higher battery usage at load.

2) Wifi tethering is now enabled by default, as the new overclock kernel has the files needed for it.

3) The new kernel also allocates an additional 65MB of space for a swap file, making the overall speed greatly improved.

For these advantages, there are a couple of things 'broken':

1) Only auto brightness works (you cannot set your own brightness level)

2) No WEP encryption for the wireless tether (this is inherent in the wifi tether program, not the ROM)

I've been using this for a couple of hours now, and so far, so good. Everything is still optimized a la birdman, and the additional swap memory allows for speedier transitions between memory hogging applications (i.e. from gallery to browser to home screen, etc).

I won't be able to gauge the battery life, obviously, until I've had some more time with it. Still, overall, it seems speedier than both the original Sholes.info 1.0 RC, and birdman's V4, which before this, IMO, was the best ROM available.

Anyways, the ROM can be found both at alldroid and at sholes.info. I won't be providing any links.

Other adventurous flashers can use this thread to discuss this ROM. This may be the last great 2.0.1/2.1 ROM, as now that 2.1 is open sourced, I expect developers to flock towards that.

Really all you need is the ROM file and SirPhychoS' SPRecovery 0.99.2b (the newest recovery image).

If you're installing over a 2.1 image, you'll need to wipe your data partition. An install over a 2.0.1 image can preserve your apps and settings.

The instructions for updating to the newest recovery image, as well as the rom, are available at sholes.info

Upvote 0
There were some posts of FCs and reboots after install. You guys experiencing issues like that?

I'm on V4 and find it very stable and quick, and am wondering how this one compares in terms of stability...

I read those too. I chalked it up to the fact that they upgraded from 1.0 RC1, which was pretty unstable itself, IMO.

Anyways, I just dropped this new one right on top of V4 and have had no issues yet, and I've been using it pretty heavily.

It makes a nandroid backup for you before the upgrade, so it's no hassle to go back. I think the most interesting feature is the inclusion of compcache. I need to learn more about it, but it seems to basically amount to virtual memory to supplement the RAM.

Upvote 0
I read those too. I chalked it up to the fact that they upgraded from 1.0 RC1, which was pretty unstable itself, IMO.

Anyways, I just dropped this new one right on top of V4 and have had no issues yet, and I've been using it pretty heavily.

It makes a nandroid backup for you before the upgrade, so it's no hassle to go back. I think the most interesting feature is the inclusion of compcache. I need to learn more about it, but it seems to basically amount to virtual memory to supplement the RAM.

Thanks...I haven't used the new sprecovery to put on a tgz ROM yet, so I hadn't seen that it does an auto nandroid in advance. Is it a full nandroid (the default nandroid in 99.2b is only Boot, Data, and System. Prior versions included Boot, Data, System, Misc., Recovery, and Cache. (I can do a fresh nandroid backup on my own first to be sure, but wondering if you can look at the nandroid backup made during your install and confirm what was included in it...

Upvote 0
All I see in the "preinstall" folder that contains the auto-backup are the following files:

boot, data, nandroid, system

So, it seems to not make the full backup. That being said, I looked in my other nandroid backup folders and they all only contain the same files, so I guess I haven't been making full backups. No wonder I always have to redo my album art....lol

Upvote 0
Cool, give us your impressions when you have it installed.

One cool thing I've noticed is that the home screen now auto rotates according to orientation. There's no need to slide open the hardware keyboard. I know a lot of people have been asking why this wasn't in the stock OS. I don't have an answer for that, but at least this ROM does it!

Upvote 0
LMBO! I was just coming here to post about this. Just installed it, and it seems to be the best ROM yet. Might be too early to tell. [link removed] for those interested.

Why can't we just leave well-enough alone??? :eek: :D :cool:

This one?

Swype Keyboard Removed from Sholes.info ROM

We have been asked by the owners of the Swype Keyboard to stop distributing their software (it wasn

Upvote 0
1st please forgive me for the Noob Question, but I am sure that you have to root your droid before installing.

Is so, I believe, I have rooted my phone today, but I can not confirm it. I followed all of the steps and everyone makes this out to be a highly difficult task and that makes me unsure that I have done it correctly.

I did it and triesd using an app called SetCPU that lets you play with your processor speed if your phone is rooted, but it tells me that my phone is not rooted and the app is in read only mode. Is there another way that i can tell that my phone is rooted?

Upvote 0
There are lots of other free apps on the Market for rooted users only. Install one and see if you get the same error (i.e. "drocap2"). Or, install Terminal Emulator, open it and type "su". Does it say you have permission, or not?

Just downloaded Better Terminal Emulator and typed "su" and got this message

su: uid 10058 not allowed to su

I guess that means my phone is not rooted.

Do you have a working link for a zip file?

Upvote 0
Do you have a working link for a zip file?

Yes. Follow these instructions:

1 - Download this file. root for droid.zip
2 - Rename the file to "update.zip". (DO NOT USE .zip if your using windows vista/7)
3 - Plug your Droid into your computer via USB. On the Droid go to the Notifications bar and select "USB Connected" then press "Mount".
4 - Once the device is mounted, the SD card will show as a removable device on your computer
5 - Put the "update.zip" file you just renamed into the Root (top) directory of your SD Card.
6 - Unmount the device from your computer, and turn the Droid off.
7 - Turn off your DROID.
8 - Hold down the "X" key on the physical keyboard and while doing so press the power button. Hold both of them down until you see a Triangle with an !.
9 - Hold the Vol UP button, then press the camera button and you will see a menu.
10 - Using the D-pad on the physical keyboard, select the option to update with the update.zip file.
11 - This should take awhile. Once it's done select the option to reboot the phone.
12 - The phone will reboot. You are rooted!

Upvote 0
Yes. Follow these instructions:

1 - Download this file. root for droid.zip
2 - Rename the file to "update.zip". (DO NOT USE .zip if your using windows vista/7)
3 - Plug your Droid into your computer via USB. On the Droid go to the Notifications bar and select "USB Connected" then press "Mount".
4 - Once the device is mounted, the SD card will show as a removable device on your computer
5 - Put the "update.zip" file you just renamed into the Root (top) directory of your SD Card.
6 - Unmount the device from your computer, and turn the Droid off.
7 - Turn off your DROID.
8 - Hold down the "X" key on the physical keyboard and while doing so press the power button. Hold both of them down until you see a Triangle with an !.
9 - Hold the Vol UP button, then press the camera button and you will see a menu.
10 - Using the D-pad on the physical keyboard, select the option to update with the update.zip file.
11 - This should take awhile. Once it's done select the option to reboot the phone.
12 - The phone will reboot. You are rooted!

First, Thanks for not chastising me for asking such a Noob question.

Second, Even bigger thanks for helping me get my phone rooted. I am now going to proceed and install this rom. Wish me luck.

Victor

Upvote 0
Messenger 13,

I am trying to load this rom onto my droid. I have followed all of the steps in this forum: http://androidforums.com/how-tips/29204-how-root-install-droid-2-1-a.html

Just supstituting the Sholes rom for the one on the forum. I copied everything onto my Nandroid folder, I also backed up the folder before copying and I am loading under a simple restore(step taken previously simple backup) and I am getting:

Error: Nandroid exited with status 25

Can you help me with this?

Never mind, I think I figured it out. System is re-booting now.

Victor

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones