New sim card, will phone contacts remain?

Last Updated:

1. paulscott

paulscott Member This Topic's Starter

Im on 3 uk and i got my upgrade (SE C905 to Samsung Galaxy Portal) but my new price plan doesnt come into affect untill the 14th of June, so i need to spend a month with Android and be stuck to Wifi :( what i was wondering is, when i put the new sim card in, will the contacts on the phone remain or will i have to go through the painful process of sorting them all again?

GT-I5700
    2.1-update1
    i5700EXXJC1
    2.6.29 root@SE-S611 #2
    ECLAIR.XXJCD

Advertisement
  2. jjswee

jjswee Active Member

Matters on your old phone. I had an iphone 3gs and it did not store the contacts on the sim card. I had to load them into itunes then save it (to a file), and pull that file up to my gmail account. My nexus one then synced up.

In my phone before that, I had an option to save all contacts to SIM card. I did that and when I put the sim card in my iphone, all the contacts loaded in when I told it to.

3. sifi

sifi Well-Known Member

If you have the same memory card on the old and new phone you can save to that and transfer them that way.

4. paulscott

Sorry i didnt explain that well, ive already got the Galaxy portal and have the contacts set up in it, but if i put a different sim card in, will the phone contacts still be available?

Thanks for the replies :)

5. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the Galaxy but I doubt any Android device stores contacts on the SIM card. SIM phonebookls tend to be very limited in what they are able to store.

paulscott likes this.
  6. paulscott

Thats what i wanted to hear! :D i have my contacts backed up in about 4 different formats so i could try restore them if worst comes to the worst

Thanks ;)