New SIRRUS App

Last Updated:

1. Thumper

Thumper Active Member This Topic's Starter

I did a search and didn't see anything on this. Downloaded and installed the app a couple nights ago.

Some observations.

#1 - App was NOT presented on the marketplace. App is only available by going to their website, finding the link, and requesting an email be sent with a download embedded. You have to download the package and then open it. To do this, you have to uncheck a setting to allow programs outside the marketplace to be installed. Why in the world would they have done it this way?

#2 - I get sometimes spotting signal when on 3G, even with full bars. Sometimes the music will stop and need to buffer, but you are missing the song meanwhile obviously. WiFi it works pretty perfectly so far.

#3 - I have SIRRUS in my cars and truthfully will have limited use for this, especially since you have to buy ANOTHER plan for the DROID even if you have 3 (THREE) other plans. However, the app lets you browse the channels while listening to the current one and it will display what is playing on the other channels. That is pretty nice.

Advertisement
  2. gaajiwaaih

gaajiwaaih Active Member

I tried it for a few days, sound quality was one step slightly above am radio so I uninstalled. I did like the way it looked but when comes down to it, the whole point is to listen to music.

I also had the problem with the spotty coverage. Try Slacker!

3. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Hey, where you at? I'm in Ontario...Hit me up if you need any help with your Droid... :)

4. Thumper

Yeah, I have the free version of Slacker, and Pandora as well. They are good, but in truth, the SIRRUS service does offer benefits. Maybe not enough to justify the price.

My sound quality was fine, and the spottiness seemed better tonight than last night. Maybe it was a fluke, or maybe they have made improvements.

5. Soultics

Soultics Well-Known Member

Posted about this awhile back but I'll go ahead and jump in.

Sirius app works well enough, they will have a very hard time talking people into paying more for something that gives less. (No Howard Stern)

If you currently have Sirius in your vehicles, you're able to add on a package that enables internet streaming/phone streaming for less than it would normally cost you, at least this was the case months ago.

6. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

There was a link on these forums where if you visited XM's site, you didn't have to do all of that to install it, but I'm glad you got to give it a try.

Now that Verizon fixed my 3G coverage, the app is a lot more reliable but still gets kind of wonky, I had the same problems with Pandora. The subscription is the same price as Pandora (go the lifetime subscription when it was cheap) and I like the service a lot more.

I do like that Pandora has a deal with Amazon music so that you can buy what you're listening to, but I'd rather keep XM and get them to add that feature.

7. King_Bean

King_Bean Well-Known Member

There have been threads about this. You probably didn't find anything in the search because you spelled Sirius wrong.

I think the Sirius app is horrible. The sound quality is really bad and it does not have Howard Stern.

8. Thumper

Well crud. That'll teach me to post late at night. ;)

I am just using headphones to listen, not trying to hook it to my surround sound, but the sound quality is comparable to Slacker, Pandora, and my own MP3s.

As for Howard Stern, I guess that's only a negative if you like to listen to Howard Stern. I certainly don't, the guy was cool when he first came out....you know.....2 decades ago. LOL Listening to him talk to strippers just gets old I guess. And prank calls are the most disrespectful thing in the world. People are trying to earn a living, actually DOING something and to purposefully cause them stress and upset is just wrong.

Eh, sorry about the extra thread on SIRIUS.....

9. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

10. kg6epf

kg6epf Well-Known Member

I was excited when I heard this first came out, but after further review, there is more of a drawback than just missing Howard Stern (jerk anyway IMHO). Many of the specialty channels are missing. I keep my Sirius subscription for sports games that I can't reliably get anywhere else. Most of the sports channels aren't available on this streaming app.

Sad, cause I really wanted it to work.