New smartphone recommendations

Last Updated:

1. 792218005

792218005 Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everybody... I just realized that I posted my last thread in The Lounge rather then Android Lounge which I intended to... Makes sense why I haven't gotten any replies. Anywho, this is what I posted earlier:

Hey all! Just signed up for your forum to ask for your recommendations for my first smartphone. Now, I'm leaning towards an android mainly because I don't want an iPhone and it seems like it has some great feature as well as a lot of potential.

Now, the only issue is that I live in Canada and I'm with Rogers. (Sim cards)

My current criteria is that I want a touch phone and it has to support a sim card. External qwerty keyboard is a bonus!

I'm sure you all get requests like this all of the time but some help selecting a new phone would be great. I tried doing my own research on what phone to buy but I'm really not great with hacking phones and whatnot to make things work with my carrier but I'm willing to try.

tl;dr:
    Need smartphone with sim card and touchscreen.

Thanks for any help you can supply! Also, please redirect this thread if it belongs somewhere else.

Advertisement
  2. Tino

Tino Well-Known Member

Hey there, welcome to the forums!

I am guessing that being from Canada (and the fact that you use a SIM card) that you use GSM phones like we have here in the UK. I have currently have an HTC Desire which I would recommend to anyone, even without any hacking or rooting and what not, it is by far (in my opinion) I have ever had my hands on.

It is a top-end device with 576MB of RAM and 512MB of ROM, a 1GHz Snapdragon processor, a 3.7" AMOLED or SLCD screen depending on which model. It also comes with Android Eclaire (2.1) but is upgradable to 2.2 FroYo and uses Sense UI to overlay which I really like. I find that Pocketnow has some good reviews with videos to check out if you have the time, here is one for the Desire:

HTC Desire Review

Another phone I would suggest is the Samsung Galaxy S (I'm not sure which models you have there, ours is i9000). I have heard it can be a bit laggy but with my brief time with one I couldn't see any. Nevertheless it is a high end phone, possibly the most powerful around Europe right now. It has 512MB of both ROM and RAM, a 1GHz Hummingbird processor, a 4 inch SuperAMOLED screen (which is amazing) and uses Android 2.1 with TouchWiz 3.0 UI used as a skin. Alot of people aren't big fans of TouchWiz 3.0 but you can judge for yourself in this review:

Samsung Galaxy S Review

The best option if you want a slide out keyboard is the Milestone 2 (However this hasn't been formally launched yet so there is no release date for it). This is basically the worldwide version of the US' Droid 2, it is similar to the other two handsets with 512MB RAM and ROM, 1GHz Processor and a 3.7 inch touchscreen, however as stated it has a slide out full QWERTY keyboard.

Motorola Droid 2 Review

I hope this helps!

792218005 likes this.
  3. 792218005

792218005 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks a bunch! The Desire seems really cool but I don't think we're getting it here any time soon. :(

Would you recommend the Nexus One at all? It seems pretty good and Rogers is getting it in a month.

4. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

Desire is on Telus

5. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

Really? Rogers is getting the Nexus?

Nexus is pretty much like a Desire without HTC Sense (same hardware only an AMOLED screen instead of Super-LCD). It runs stock Android, it is Google's baby and always the first to get updates (expecting it to be the first to get Android 3.0 later this year).

6. Tino

Tino Well-Known Member

Yep, its a very good phone and will probably come with the latest version of Android out of the box, if not it will deffinately be available OTA straight away.

Managed to dig out a review, again from pocketnow.com! (They should be paying me for this!)

Google Nexus One Review

And here's a FroYo (2.2) review:

Android 2.2 'Froyo' Review: It's Sweet

And a video for ya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1OnvkOgx38

Hope this helps!