• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New software update!

I get no update? "Your device is up to date" says photon when asked about software update.

What gives? Is it because I am rooted?

I don't believe rooting in of itself would prevent you from having the update pushed to your phone. However, if you deleted any of the applications from the phone that were not able to be removed pre-rooted, that is probably what is preventing the update from being available.

If you backed-up the original O/S & restore, you should be able to update.

A word of caution before jumping to the update :

Doing so may/will affect the ability to install custom ROMS, etc....., not sure if doing so will affect the ability to root your phone again.
I'd definitely check out the ALL THINGS ROOT section of this forum, & XDA DEVELOPERS for the latest on root w/the update.*

A visit to MOTOROLA'S website to the PHOTON forum wouldn't be a bad idea either, but, a friendly piece of advice :

If you decide to join in a discussion, the powers that be frown upon questions regarding root/ROM procedures. Just mentioning that you're rooted/ROMMED is cool, but, they'll refer you elsewhere for questions regarding restoring back to stock,etc......

*For those that are rooted & have received the update but haven't installed it yet, installation of the update WILL unroot your phone.

Reactions: mkvoran
Upvote 0
I lost root with 45.4.13 & OCR no longer works. Have been reading that some have had success getting root back w/Torpedo method. Wondering if phone had to have been originally rooted via Torpedo to get root back. I have tried a couple of different approaches to get root w/Torpedo 1) thru windows cmd 2) terminal emulater. in both cases, I cannot copy the .tar to /data/temp - Permission Denied. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones