• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Spica running factory Android 2.1 having serious issues

Hi from New Zealand.

Yesterday I became the proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy i5700 Spica. The phone came out-of-the-box with Android 2.1 Eclair. This is my first Android phone.

At first I was more than happy with the performance of this phone, however after about an hour of use, navigating the phone became very slow and apps would take even longer to open some would even give me and error message instead stating that the applications were unresponsive. I switched the phone off and on again.

Start up is very slow and takes about 2 to 3 minutes. Is this normal? But the worse thing is that after the restart all of my personal data was gone! e.g.: contacts, photos, sent sms, call log, any customization, etc! The only thing the phone remembered was the current date and time - I assume this is due to the sim card. I restarted my phone several more times, each time effectively a factory reset.

I did a factory reset just to see if this would help. It didn't. All I got was an image of a exclamation mark in a triangle and interaction with the phone was disabled. Taking the battery out and in again restarted it as normal, all data cleared again.

I've noticed that the internal memory reads as 0.0mb this is reinforced by the fact that I cannot install any apps from the market place. If there is no local, internal memory is this the reason why nothing is saved after a restart and why the phone is slowing down after use? Is every being saved into the RAM?

I really do not want to return this phone as it's just so cool when it works correctly! But these problems are unacceptable. Never turning off the phone is a temporary solution only.

Please, anyone encountered these problems? Is this the reality of android 2.1? Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Are all your contacts dissapearing form gmail if you access it thru your PC?

My spica/lite/portal/gt i5700 (your choice!) was factory 2.1 and it shows, with several apps installed, and 2 or 3 running, 67.11MB availabe internal space...

I can't really help you, I'm afraid, but from what you said I'd be getting a replacement...

Upvote 0
I was saving contacts to the SD card then importing them that way. It was successfully syncing up with Google Contacts but it wasn't keeping any of my data after I switched it off then on again. Each time I would added my google account after powering down I would get duplicate contacts on my computer. My Handset would get nothing.

Such a shame, haven't even had it 24 hours.

Going to post it back. The dude on the phone said something about firmware updates, we'll see...

Upvote 0
Hello I'm having similar issues with my spica and I'm not a happy camper... bought my phone from 3 Ireland direct 2 or 3 weeks back everythings been running smooth enough but apart from major issues with contacts when I import them from sim or sd card they appear on screen and remain there for random periods of time then mysteriously disappear! And I'm also getting running issues with browser freezing up phone for no reason even on wap sites, not connecting or syncing for no reason until the handset is reset and then it will work again, It's not a issue with too many programs running because ive used task manages/killer to make sure nothing else is running... any suggestions???

Firmware Version :2.1 update1
Baseband Version :i570EXXJC1
Kernel Version :2.2.29 root@SE-S611 #2
Build No :ECLAIR.XXJCD

Upvote 0
I THINK what you are using is a beta 2.1, download New PC suite from samsung website, and get the latest 2.1 firmware. my baseband is i5700uxjg9, i am from canada bc.

For phones that seem to be running slower and slower after each use.. something call multitasking! for each app you open it will stay open until you close it (for quicker access)

Download a task killer program ( i suggest system panel .. cost some $$ well worth)

Upvote 0
We have the same case with REPEATERNET.The only technique to save your contacts and all the file is to save in sd card.But one of my problem is i cant download any application from android market because i dont have phone memory anyway,it freakin 0 memory..I dont know whats happening after all the upgrade..They ruined my phone..I bought my phone in Norway but i upgrade it here in the Philipines....Everytime it will hang up..i will restart my phone and personalized my settings again..I am so tired also.tHE TECHNIcian ,he cant help me anymore after he ruined my phone even though i still have warranty and receipt from Norway..Can anyone help me here?

firmware: 2.1
basedband version: i570EDXJC2
KERNEL VERSION: 2.6.29
BULID NUMBER: ECLAIR.DXJC4.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones