New Swype Beta installer hozed up

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by (G), Sep 11, 2010.

1. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

I received an email from Swype this afternoon saying that the Beta I'm using (I'm a registered Beta user) will expire "in a few days," and urging me to download the new installer, which will then download and install the new version of Swype. But I had to uninstall the old installer and version first.

I did.

And the new installer didn't work. I tried it a dozen times, and every time I received a message saying that the "Installer is out of date."

There's a note from a Swype tech on the Swype forum (posted at about 5:30pm) saying that they knew there's a problem and that we'll all get mailed out a new installer "within 24 hours."

Until then, I limp along with the stock keyboard.

EDIT: Never mind. By 11:30pm CDT it was fixed. THANK GOD.

According to the email, here are the changes:
    - added German and Portuguese
    - added auto-space suppression short-cut gesture (from spacebar to backspace)
    - added quick language switch short cut gesture
    - improved word prediction algorithm
    - improved handling of several gesture collisions (incl want/wasn't, to/too and others)
    - Android IME no longer sometimes hangs/crashes when Swype scrapes the user's address book for dictionary entries
    - tips and help menus now accessible when a password field is active
    -backspace now works in applications which use raw key imput instead of an editable tet field (e.g. terminal emulator)
    - The single character "i" is no longer incorrectly auto-capitalized in non-English languages
    - tons of other minor bug fixes, including many device-specific issues

Advertisement

2. jtreadwell

jtreadwell Member

Apr 15, 2010
    So when will swype be released to the pubic? I had a beta copy for a few days and loved it. I would gladly pay for a full version but the only way I see to get it is to be lucky enough to be a beta tester or buy a phone that ships with it.

3. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

Good question. According to their website FAQ, they'd rather license it out to phone manufacturers than release it as a full app because doing the latter would require more support than they have manpower for.

I don't understand why they just don't release it with the understanding that there won't be any support for it, other than what's on their own forums.

4. TJ110158

TJ110158 Member

Feb 14, 2010
    I had the same issue with Swype yesterday. This morning I tried again and it worked. However, and more importantly does anyone know if they fixed the "REBOOT" bug? I would test myself, but its always a hassle trying to get it to work again after rebooting the phone. I love this keyboard, but to always use it I have to remember to switch back to the stock keyboard before turning off the phone, "which is kind of a pain in the you know what."