• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New T-Mobile SIM issues with unlocked HTC One X

Prasad57

Aug 2, 2011
hi,

I have an unlocked HTC One X international version. When I inserted a new T-Mobile micro SIM card the phone part worked fine and I could make and recieve calls. Data did not work and when I navigated to the APN setting it flashed a message that SIM card is missing and please insert SIM. I went to the T-Mobile store and the agent who was very helpful was on the phone with level 2 support. They asked us to try a new SIM Card and that gave exactly the same result. They gave up. The agent later said that the new micro SIM cards were HTC One S compatible and I should try an older SIM card. He made a few calls and found one store that had an older Micro SIM (Plain white front without people's pictures printed on the card). I got that SIM and One X recognised the APN settings and everything worked fine including Edge data.

I was wondering if anybody elso experienced this and am concerned that if I need a SIM card in the future then T-Mobile's new SIMs will remain incompatible.

Thanks for the info. The reps at my local store couldn't figure it out, and no one understood that the one x and one s were two different phones. A true exercise in patience.

Looks like I will get rid of the one x for now and stay on my amaze (hope tmo will update the amaze with ics soon). :dong:

Edge would be okay except I don't have wifi access during the day. Its too bad since this is the best phone I've seen.

The one S doesn't fit my needs with the small storage space - I would fill it in a day, and the smaller screen is far less impressive then the one X. Guess I'll have to wait for t mobile to announce something more substantial (GS3?).

Please Let us know if you end up getting at least 3g on your one X on the tmobile network. Best luck.

Upvote 0
I tried to enter APN manually. But after I fill all fields and save it flashes a msg that the SIM is missing and resets the fields. Pretty frustrating. But as I mentioned getting an older version of T-Mobile SIM card fixed the problem.

WOW this is exactly the issue i just had today. Can you explain in more detail what is different about the older sim card? I know when i ask about the older cards they will just look at me confused.

I went to get my new One X working today. 2 Hours later, I have no data connection and was told my phone will never work with any US carrier.

Are these older cards a dying breed that will slowly be harder to find and my phone could no longer get data because of a lost one?

Thank you for your post on this, I am still struggling with your situation. One step closer tho!

Upvote 0
If you ask the T-mo rep for an old Nokia 710 micro Sim (i believe it's called the non gba card) they may look at you funny. But just insist on one and activate it and it will work on your One X. These are the SIM cards with no human pictures on them. You can look at them funny after your phone starts to work.

Prasad

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have looking at the One X since it was first announced and have a tmobile sim card with on a a red T on the front that I have been using for several years. I am assuming the sim is the older version mentioned in this post. So, will this sim card provide access to the internet and will I be able to text. I want the international version since I travel frequently out of the US. This is my first post in the forum and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Upvote 0
It may work. One X takes a Micro Sim and not the regular SIM card. You could cut the regular Sim card to size (You can buy a micros SIM Cutter). Yours is definitely the older version but the one I am referring to is the micro SIM that was originally provided when Lumia 710 was released (non GBA micro sim card). Yours may work too but, you need to cut it and try.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the information. Can you let me know where you found the old micro sim card, have called 5 different locations and none of them have any in stock.

thanks

hi,

I have an unlocked HTC One X international version. When I inserted a new T-Mobile micro SIM card the phone part worked fine and I could make and recieve calls. Data did not work and when I navigated to the APN setting it flashed a message that SIM card is missing and please insert SIM. I went to the T-Mobile store and the agent who was very helpful was on the phone with level 2 support. They asked us to try a new SIM Card and that gave exactly the same result. They gave up. The agent later said that the new micro SIM cards were HTC One S compatible and I should try an older SIM card. He made a few calls and found one store that had an older Micro SIM (Plain white front without people's pictures printed on the card). I got that SIM and One X recognised the APN settings and everything worked fine including Edge data.

I was wondering if anybody elso experienced this and am concerned that if I need a SIM card in the future then T-Mobile's new SIMs will remain incompatible.

Upvote 0
I have the same issue . Bought the unlocked international version of HTC ONE X. I was told by my carrier that my phone would work... I have phone calls and texting only. I contacted HTC and they advised me that my version would never work in the US. Great!! Anyone have a trick to get this baby connected to the internet? Please

Cherine

Upvote 0
As I mentioned the only way I know is to use a non-GBA micros SIM card. I found one in the Jersey City Store in NJ. You could probably try calling T-Mo support and aske them to ship one to you. Even if they claim that the SIM card doesn't matter, just insist on a non-GBA micro SIM and when you recieve it, just activate it.

-Prasad

Reactions: s.m.knipe
Upvote 0
ok...this is the last word on this. tmobile got it continually mixed up. you have to think for them.

NON-GBA MiCRO SiM CARD is the only one that words in the HTC ONE X phone, unlocked, on the tmobile network. tmobile support tries but they are as confused as hell.

the card you need, no matter what they give you or tell you at the tmobile stores, is an old no longer shipped micro sim card that doesn't have a picture on the full card (where the sim is punched out of when you get it new).

MOST important, the code numbers on the front of the card near the pink T is NOT 50.05, that is the new GBA cards...it will be 50.01, which is the no longer stocked or shipped to stores micro sim card.

find one if you have this phone. it is the only way your sim card will be recognized by the phone for internet use so you will be able to put the APN settings into your phone.

this is it! i did it, it worked. however twice tmobile store personnel, and an online tmobile tech, told me the either took the GBA card, or that the 50.05 card was a non-GBA card.

the ONLY way is to check the numbers and make sure the card is a 50.01 card.....written next to the pink T.

also, it will run on 'edge', which is slower...not unbearable, but definitely slower than a normal cell internet optimized for tmobile's (or any carrier's) network.

final word on this phone, which is still great with the big bright screen and thin wide body design...it will sadly dent and scratch like butter. i dropped from about a foot up, slowed on the way down by partially catching, onto asphalt. got small dents and chips in the gorrila glass (edge) and in the case. just be warned.

Upvote 0
I hope you managed to find a non-GBA SIM card. The second part of the conversation regarding the phone working on 3g speeds even if it displays edge is wrong. The international version does not support T-Mobile USA's 1700Mz 3g band. If and when T-Mobile converts the 1900Mz band it may start working on 3G speeds.

Prasad

Upvote 0
NON-GBA SiMCARD to USE HTC ONE X on t-mobile ok...this is the last word on this. tmobile got it continually mixed up. you have to think for them.

NON-GBA MiCRO SiM CARD is the only one that words in the HTC ONE X phone, unlocked, on the tmobile network. tmobile support tries but they are as confused as hell.

the card you need, no matter what they give you or tell you at the tmobile stores, is an old no longer shipped micro sim card that doesn't have a picture on the full card (where the sim is punched out of when you get it new).

MOST important, the code numbers on the front of the card near the pink T is NOT 50.05, that is the new GBA cards...it will be 50.01, which is the no longer stocked or shipped to stores micro sim card.

find one if you have this phone. it is the only way your sim card will be recognized by the phone for internet use so you will be able to put the APN settings into your phone.

this is it! i did it, it worked. however twice tmobile store personnel, and an online tmobile tech, told me the either took the GBA card, or that the 50.05 card was a non-GBA card.

the ONLY way is to check the numbers and make sure the card is a 50.01 card.....written next to the pink T.

also, it will run on 'edge', which is slower...not unbearable, but definitely slower than a normal cell internet optimized for tmobile's (or any carrier's) network.

final word on this phone, which is still great with the big bright screen and thin wide body design...it will sadly dent and scratch like butter. i dropped from about a foot up, slowed on the way down by partially catching, onto asphalt. got small dents and chips in the gorrila glass (edge) and in the case. just be warned.

Reactions: Bridawg593
Upvote 0
Hey, how are you? Could you please tell me where you got that SIM card? I got the same issue and nowhere can get that card. Thank you very much. Can you write me an E-mail? Finn0714 (at) gmail (dot) com. if you have the pic of the micro sim card, it will be great!
hi,

Upvote 0
yea, 611 told me the same thing. I really don't know what the NON-GBA MiCRO SiM CARD is...

NON-GBA SiMCARD to USE HTC ONE X on t-mobile ok...this is the last word on this. tmobile got it continually mixed up. you have to think for them.

Upvote 0
yeah finn, i'll email you...but again, these are older cards that still have not expired...that still are hanging around some tmobile stores. if you can't find a store near you, you could try and have tmobile customer care try to find a store for you...but customer care has no idea what GBA or non-GBA means (not like i do) for these phones, or if they take or don't take them...you have to identify what card you are looking for by that 50.01 code, and the fact the full card from which the sim is punched upon purchase has no picture on it...they started putting ad pictures on later ones

that fails, you can go on ebay or amazon and buy one that is new unused, HOW ever, you need to be able to see the card and read that there is the 50.01 code next to the pink T...the other numbers don't matter...worse comes to worst, you can purchase one of these sim cards (not micro sims) and use a cutter to cut the plastic to fit an HTC one x, like iphone users do when switching networks, but be careful.

glad i could help, this is the best info out there on what you need and how to get it...i thank the person on the tda forum who was kind enough to post a picture of the card that worked for him, that allowed me to see the code needed for the correct sim...good luck...but it does work.

and don't curse me when you find out edge really is noticeably slower than 3G...but not unendurable to have such a nice phone as this

Upvote 0
hi frank...as said, they are hard to find and increasing so...what i would do is get one on amazon.com or ebay...they don't reference 'non-gba' or 'gba', you just have to find them by the four digit code on the actual sim next to the pink tmobile T.

this should be 50.01 NOT 50.05 (or any other code that i know of)

the card has nothing anymore to do with the nokia lumia 710 as that phone will now take a GBA card, so that is not the way to find it.

ALSO, simcards come on a larger card that you punch them out of...the larger card that has these older sims has NO advertising picture on it, it is completely white.

i'm not sure if you call tmobile customer care, or the individual stores, if they will take the time to go through their sims and check that code, but you can buy older tmobile sims on ebay and amazon, JUST be sure and not buy them unless you can see that code number and verify it is 50.01

if you can't find a tmobile microsim with that code, i would get a regular older sim with that code and use a cutter you can buy for usually $1 that cuts sim cards down to microsim size...just be careful to position it correctly.

as far as i know that's all you can do, but these suggestions should have one that works for you...but best if you can contact all the local tmobile stores and have them check their cards for cards that have no ad picture on them, and then check the code next to the T.

good luck, it's a true hassle, and harder as these cards disappear. i love the phone (tho the case is soft as butter if you drop it on a textured surface and will scratch) and the updates DO help with speed and battery on the 'edge' tmobile service that you will be using rather than 3G...but i would NOT buy one of these phones for tmobile use UNLESS you already can find a sim for it!!!

Upvote 0
Yeah I've called all Official Retail Stores and some authorized dealers in the Los Angeles/San Gabriel Valley area, no luck at all. T-Mobile support hasn't been much help either, some tech guy basically told me there's no way to send one out to me. Anyone know of any location or online retailer that carries them? Even if it's a physical store, I don't mind using PayPal or some other electronic payment to get one...

Upvote 0
523741_10151090000333989_787523988_13427457_815146201_n.jpg

I got the att sim card today and I went to tmobile store. Their system cannot recognize that card. But they found me an 50.01. That's the old version. It works but yea, it's really slow. I took the pic of both cards. Thanks for your help. U guys have a great night.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones