• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Tablet

Slender

Lurker
May 18, 2013
Guys,
I know I'm new here, but I need help buying a new tablet for school in august. My Budget for now is $350 dollars, that can be subject to change as I don't have very stable means of acquiring money. To make this simple, I will make two lists: one of my wants, and one of my needs.

Needs:
Micro SD card slot (or 32gb internal memory)
Android 4.1 +
Smooth Multitasking
10 hour+ battery life
16gb+ internal memory
At least one camera

Wants: (can live without)
USB port(s)
Very Nice screen
Keyboard dock
32gb+ internal memory options
MicroUSB Charger
Dual Camera

My fall back decision is to buy a Nexus 7 32gb if i cant make up my mind soon enough. This Tablet will be used to: Read textbooks, read Books, Play games, Email, social networks, Websurfing, ect.

I will be online in the morning to respond to any suggestions or questions.

i'd look into Asus' transformer tablets. the newer ones might be a bit out of your price range, but you could pick up a used/refurbished older one that would fit your needs.

i have a transformer prime tf201. it has a dock, which i didn't buy, but it is available. it is a 10" tablet, which imo is better for school. pdf's are tough on a 7" screen.

i'd imagine you might be able to find a tf201 with a dock for about $300.

Reactions: Slender
Upvote 0
Depends on what needs you want from your device.

The Nexus has the benefit of having pure Android experience, a quad core chipset and longer update support. However you give up a camera (it only has a front facing camera for chars) and expandable storage via microSD. You could get an adaptor to plug a USB in it though.

The Tab2 has the disadvantage of only having a dual core chipset and a skinned interface which may delay updates. You do have an option of rooting an flashing though. Its primary advantages is that it has a camera, it has expandable storage, and for 350, you can get the student pack which comes with a keyboard dock. Or you can opt for the 3G version which can call, sms, and have mobile data. It also has a slew of Samsung accessories like HDMI output adapter, Usb adapters, etc.

The Nexus would have better performance, but is hampered by the limiation of storage. It would depend entirely on whether you prefer having more storage at your disposal or the quad core. Personally the dual core seems enough for school usage, as I am using a Tab Plus. It's also dual core but clocked higher than the Tab 2.

A used Transformer would also be good. I am just wary of getting used stuff. Lol.

Reactions: Slender
Upvote 0
@chanchan05 I think I will try to find a Usb to microusb adaptor for my flashdrives for school. The one ok quality camera on the Nexus was fine. The Nexus 7 looks like a likely winner!

But the fight isnt over yet :D, I still have to look at the Transformers and Galaxy a little closer to see how they would fair at the job

I love window shopping, I wish I had a job this summer :( Stupid sports getting in the way

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones