New this fourm and this phone. Need help on a few issues.General

Last Updated:

1. danmil05

danmil05 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, i just joined and so far this phone works very well. Before you guys ask, i've searched the fourms for answers and got none.

1. This will probally be futile but does anyone know how to make the youtube app work. As i said, i searched the fourms and some people have this issue and some don't. Like in most fourms, it does work in wifi but not 3g. How do i watch HQ videos in the youtube website?

2. Copy and paste on the browser and messages (or any where else to put text in). In the browser i long press and screen, select "copy text" and select the text i want and as soon as i lift my finger is said that it copy into clipboard. How do i actually get to "paste"

3. Battery issues - I think i'm a heavy user because i browse the web mostly, make a few quick calls, send about 1-2 txt, and use some of the apps pre loaded but for a few mins. I have ATK and close anything i'm mot using. I also read the topic that is sticked and there is one step i have a qurstion about. Does letting it run out of power and charging it full even helps a little with gaining more battery life. I've always heard that it's bad to do. Well, it said to do that for 3 days and i've done it for 2. Do i need to it one more time? Is there any more suggestions not mentioned from that topic? Also i plan to listen to music while at work, working between 3 and 7 hours. Will this addition really drain the battery?

4. speed - my phone hasn't had any problems with this but is there any other ways to maintain it's performance other than having few apps running?

5. memory - so far i've downloaded 4 apps (i've downloaded more but deleted them, don't know if that makes a difference). I have live scores, ringdroid, iheartradio, and ATK and i have 123 MB. Is that good? I've seen other people have as many as 40 apps but as the ROM decrease, what problems arise. Does saving passwords and search inputs eat up memory?

6. app suggestion - can anyone lead me to a good app to view and/or edit microsoft word, ppt, excel? A good radio app. (i listen to hiphop and R&B) that have HOT 97 and Power 105.1?

7. my last question. WHEN IS ANDROID 2.1 COMMING TO THE ERIS???????? just kidding

I might ask more questions. I know this post was REALLY long but either if you answer one or all my questions i would appreciate it.

Advertisement
  2. ericDylan

ericDylan Well-Known Member

i saw that you have atk. i have not had any problems with task and app killers. i have had a few... but then i read in a few different places that they can slow down the phone and cause battery issues. the best thing to do is to use the back button instead of the home one. i found that the battery lasted longer when i uninstalled app killer i had. just something to mull over ... i recommend at least trying it without the app killer

... if you have the eris streaming and/or playing music for those 3-7 hours then yes .. you will not make it through the day probably and about conditioning the battery for 3 days, it is USELESS. lithium ion batteries do not have memory so it does nothing. well it does calibrate your battery gauge... i have read that once a month for this is good

thats all i got .. hope this helps

3. danmil05

thanks for the reply on the battery issue. Anyone else have any solutions to my other issues? ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!

4. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Same deal. On a text entry location - a place where you can enter text - you press ad hold and, if the app supports paste, the option to paste will show up in a popup menu.

5. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

6. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

3,4,5 Uninstall the task killer. I know everyone and their grandmother told you that it is needed, but it isn't. Click on the link and read the wonderful article to understand more.

6 Pandora and Slacker are great radio apps that allow you to customize your own personal radio stations, very cool stuff. For office you could try Documents to go or if you are just looking to view you can use quick office that came with the phone.

7. danmil05

Thanks doogald for replying. I actually fell really stupid about because i didn't go to a text box to long press for it to paste. I don't know, maybe i was freaking out that after i copy it said moved to clipboard and i thought that it wouldn't paste. that's one problem taken care of.

Thanks a lot bjf88. So, on battery issues, if i let my phone do it's thing will it end apps by itself eventually? I've tried Pandora but i can only skip 6 times every (forgot how long the wait it). Some songs i hear too much or i don't like and i want to be able to skip them. I'll try slacker radio.

Of The Demand, i want to be able to click a link that has a word doc. on the browser to open up because when i do that, nothing happens. As for the radio, i'm looking for streaming radio. as i said i have iheartradio but it doesn't have HOT97. (i mostly listen to hiphop)

8. smacky

smacky Banned

All I can say is OfTheDamned suggested taking off Task Killers and I notice no difference when I did have it and now. The phone seems to take care of itself.

9. danmil05

OfTheDemand, i finish reading the link, thanks for the info. I the only other question i have right now pertains to apps. Can anyone suggest a streaming online radio app that has all or most popular radio stations, an app that i can view and/or edit word ppt and excel doc. also a browser app that's better or have more features than the one that comes pre installed?

10. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

This is not something that I tend to do with my phone, but I read about iheartradio yesterday. Maybe that's worth a try?

11. danmil05

I have iheartradio, and I can't find some stations like Hot 97.

12. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

iheartradio only plays clear channel stations. You may not be able to find a specific station in your area. There are several streaming radio apps in the market that you can take a look at here. The reason that I suggested Slacker yesterday is that you can customize it to your particular music tastes. You can add or remove artists and songs that you like or don't. It is the best way to get a station that plays EVERYTHING you like. If you are worried about the number of skips, it only costs about $40 for a annual subscription that includes unlimited skips and even more customization. It really is a great app. If you do try it, I would suggest going to the site and setting things up on a computer and not your phone.

As for reading/editing office documents (word, power point and excel) you can take a look at Documents to Go. It is a great app that I have used on several different platforms. I don't believe that there is anything else even comparable on the market right now.