New to Android, 3 questions/concerns...

Last Updated:

1. Plazmic Flame

Plazmic Flame New Member This Topic's Starter

Apr 13, 2010

I am brand spanking new to Android. I've followed news on the OS for some time but I still don't know enough to make the switch. I'll soon be free of the clutches of my current providers contract and I am looking at a Nexus One or waiting for the Dell Mini 5. There were just a few things I wanted to know before I make the switch and the only reason I ask is because I flat out don't know or just couldn't find a clear answer. So simply, this is what I wanted to know about the Android OS:

1) WiFi Hotspot - Is it possible with some type of app to turn the phone into a mobile hotspot? To allow other devices like my laptop to use it's connection to access the internet.

2) VOIP - So can I use some type of service like Skype? (or similar, feel free to recommend)

3) Productivity suites - Probably the biggest point for me since I'm constantly using Microsoft Word, Excel & Powerpoint. Although powerpoint isn't a big deal, Word and Excel are so is there some type of app that allows the creation and export ability of Word & Excel files?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Oct 29, 2009
    1. When rooted yes, you can turn the phone into a WiFi hotspot. Not rooted you can use either bluetooth or wired tether.

2. yep, fring lets you do this over mobile data

3. yes, google docs, openoffice, sure there are plenty more too