• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Android - a few questions

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting an Asus Transformer tablet (the prices seem to be lowering with the Transformer Prime on the horizon) and I had a few general Android questions :)

--Do I need a Google Account to use an Android Tablet?

--I see some reports of malware and Android devices - is this a real concern for users?

---In follow-up to the above Q - How to users ensure they don't install malware by mistake? Is there a 'curated' app store?

Thankyou for your help :)

Hello and welcome to Android Forums! :)

You don't necessarily need a gmail account for the tablet to work, but you won't have access to Google services like mail, contacts, calendar, maps, etc. It will feel crippled without it.

There are reports of malware and for the most part, that's all they are ... reports. Because Android is based on Linux, malware without your knowledge is very unlikely. If you stick to moderated app repositories like the Android Market and the Amazon App market, you should be safe from all that.

Upvote 0
You dont have to have a gmail accountprior to purchasing but on activation or start up it will ask you to set one up. I love gmail services but if whatever reason you dont then consider it a new troll account.

Malware is found on anything including LINUX which ios is also based on. For the most part all malware has been in China some have been found off of non market places. Aka its really not much of an issue. The only thing that really needs to be checked is when u install a new app make sure permissions match what they should be.

Upvote 0
Malware is found on anything including LINUX which ios is also based on. For the most part all malware has been in China some have been found off of non market places. Aka its really not much of an issue.

It can be an issue if one is in China though. But then my Android phone is NOT part of the vast Chinese Android ecosystem. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones